Wanna know some things. Help?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos96

Draftee
Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can anyone please tell what went wrong for every year our boys have had in the AFL since 1993?
So like 1993 - 2008.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, and it may provide 'comfort' towards some things.

1990 - 1992 don't seem as important to me, since their not apart of the Dennis Pagan era.

The Pagan era (Denis has one "n" btw) began well before '94, considering he'd coached our U19's team, which formed the nucleus of our 90's domination, to 5 premierships in the late 80's to early 90's. It was only interrupted by a brief but successful stint coaching the Essendon Reserves to a premiership in between. We try to forget that dark period though.

The Pagan era (Denis has one "n" btw) began well before '94, considering he'd coached our U19's team, which formed the nucleus of our 90's domination, to 5 premierships in the late 80's to early 90's. It was only interrupted by a brief but successful stint coaching the Essendon Reserves to a premiership in between. We try to forget that dark period though.

Lol. They even stole Pagan for a bit?

Scum.

Can anyone please tell what went wrong for every year our boys have had in the AFL since 1993?
So like 1993 - 2008.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything, and it may provide 'comfort' towards some things.

From memory:

1993 - Good year, but the season was too long for our young and up and coming side. So we lost our first final and were eliminated.
1994 - Excellent year until G. Ablett took a mark and kick a goal after the siren in the prelim. W. Carey was emerging as the best player in the comp.
1995 - Carlton were too good for everyone. So we lost another prelim.
1996 - Prefect year!
1997 - Carey injured round 1. Got back mid season. Still made a prelim. But St. Kilda were a bridge too far for us in the prelim. Especially when we lost players to suspension and Corey "got" injured early in the match.
1998 - Couldn't kick straight in the GF.
1999 - Prefect year!
2000 - There was a club called Essendon that not many could beat.
2001 - A disaster from start to finish.
2002 - We lost Carey. Pagan in his last year got us to the finals. But not much further.
2003 & 2004 - JYD made us competitive enough but we were going nowhere.
2005 - We finished 5th but mucked up the final against Port.
2006 - A total disaster.
2007 - Made a prelim. But Port smashed us. Bad end to a good season.
2008 - Should have finished 4th, but a round 22 game v Port was a disaster that made a good year a forgettable one.

From memory:

1993 - Good year, but the season was too long for our young and up and coming side. So we lost our first final and were eliminated.
1994 - Excellent year until G. Ablett took a mark and kick a goal after the siren in the prelim. W. Carey was emerging as the best player in the comp.
1995 - Carlton were too good for everyone. So we lost another prelim.
1996 - Prefect year!
1997 - Carey injured round 1. Got back mid season. Still made a prelim. But St. Kilda were a bridge too far for us in the prelim. Especially when we lost players to suspension and Corey "got" injured early in the match.
1998 - Couldn't kick straight in the GF.
1999 - Prefect year!
2000 - There was a club called Essendon that not many could beat.
2001 - A disaster from start to finish.
2002 - We lost Carey. Pagan in his last year got us to the finals. But not much further.
2003 & 2004 - JYD made us competitive enough but we were going nowhere.
2005 - We finished 5th but mucked up the final against Port.
2006 - A total disaster.
2007 - Made a prelim. But Port smashed us. Bad end to a good season.
2008 - Should have finished 4th, but a round 22 game v Port was a disaster that made a good year a forgettable one.

Excellent summary compass!
I have some additional thoughts on those years:

1993 - Robbed of a critical double chance in the finals by goddamn ****ing Stephen Kernahan. Seriously, this guy is regarded by some as a "great leader" and "champion forward"? But when the pressure was on, and the game was in his hands, he choked and couldn't even score with a kick after the siren against Essendon in round 2.
They tied, and we finished a half game behind both Essendon and Carlton (with a better percentage than both).
If we had a double chance that year, who knows what might have happened?

1994 - Almost beat Geelong in the prelim, even though video footage shows that Geelong were playing with at least one extra man on the ground for most of the second quarter.

1995 - Carlton.....too good for everyone alright - especially the AFL's investigator at the time......****ing cheats. The salary cap wasn't a suggestion you ****ing cheats. Most tainted premiership in history.
Note: We would have destroyed Geelong in the Grand Final (it was the nineties - EVERYONE got to smash Geelong in a Grand Final).

1996 - Lying, cheating Swans officials show their desperation when the AFL allows them to break the rules to let Andrew "if it pleases the court, I would like my suspension after the Grand Final, your honor" Dunkley to play in the Grand Final, even though he had been suspended.....didn't matter though!

1997 - The season started at the MCG with disgusting Melbourne supporters cheering when Carey did his shoulder and was stretchered off, and ended at the MCG with disgusting St.Kilda supporters cheering when Corey did his shoulder and was stretchered off.

1998 - Imagine if everyone kicked for goal like Lindsay Thomas.....that was our team in the 1998 Grand Final.

1999 - Lying, cheating Carlton officials show their desperation when the AFL allows them to break the rules to let Aaron "yes I did kick Dean Wallis in the head, but lied about it to the appeals board" Hamill to play in the Grand Final, even though he had been suspended.....didn't matter though!

2000 to 2002 - The final years of the Pagan and Carey era.....7 years at the top start to take their toll.
On a positive note, at least we now have access to some higher draft picks. Yay!!! Finally, some young guns like Dylan Smith, Daniel Motlop and Ashley Watson to help out the remnants of our great team of the nineties.....

2003 to 2008 - The Laidley years......let us never speak of them again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One might argue that if you had slept with Hawkins at any stage between 1993 and 1999, that would have been wrong.

Very, very wrong.

Ha, nice pick-up. Totally missed that.

thecops.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Wanna know some things. Help?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back