Waverley Park Memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps I'm beginning to show my age. My brother kindly asks me whether the dinosaurs came before or after me. I still hold a dear feeling for good old Waverley as a playing venue.

Listen to an opposition supporter and they will whinge about how cold ‘Arctic Park’ was, how it always rained, how the play was always on the wrong side of the ground, how the transport out there was 3rd world, the car parking abhorrent and the amount of times to venture out there to get a good old walloping from the Hawks.

What are your memories of Waverley, whether as a playing venue, training venue or perhaps it’s now your home? Did you play Little League there, assist with training, attend a President’s Lunch? Did you write about Waverley for a VCE CAT? Sit in the outer in dire conditions and witness a famous victory? Were you there when the lights went out?

being in the car when mum dropped my collingwood supporting brother off at the edges on the car park so he could go to a game sadly that never happened for me i was too young to go by myself and i think he went with friends

Traveling 2hrs to watch the reserves game and being the only member there and having to retrieve the ball occasionally when the ball was kicked over the fence, watching Peter German playing coach and ramanauskas playing for the hawks reserves because they were short of numbers!! Coldest game I was at was the Saturday night game against kangas known as the Pickett bump on krummel game!!

The jumbo hot dogs, and warmish pies. I can distinctly remember a night game against the Roos... Would have been 1998, I reckon. It was the night Brendan Krummel was completely pole axed by Byron Pickett, huge shirtfront.

Anyway, it was about minus 20 degrees that night. It remains the only time I have ever eaten a pie at a footy match. I remember it well because I must have scoffed it down in about 3 minutes and kept thinking, gee it must be cold if I'm eating this hot pie so quickly. Little did I know that it was probably more an indication of the temperature of th pie itself!

Memories of Waverley.... Traveling up the Geelong Highway, then all the way down Toorak Road and out onto the South-Eastern Fwy, as it was then known. Those were the days.... And by golly we were passionate about it!

Top memories would have to be;

- 1991 Grand Final
- Playing on the field in the vic kick in 91 or 92, remember having to play in the Doggies colours against the Hawks - absolutely shattered that day!!
- Going to the last game against Sydney in 1999 with my dad and seeing Big Nick and Nathan Thompson run riot
- Playing kick to kick in the car park while the parentals were stuck in grid lock trying to get out!

round 11 1981 vs Collingwood. 92,000 ppl..a crowd record. Hawks by 46 points. they were sitting in the isles and everywhere. Ian Paton played the best game I ever saw him play..

Good ol' Arctic Park... Too many memories to recount. I was there that Queens Birthday Match. What an atmosphere.

Remember seeing a preseason night match there - would have been February or March - and never felt so called. The wind was tearing around the stands creating a powerful vortex of chilled air. The aluminum sheets were almost being torn off such was the force.

I saw us win the 1991 flag, which was an undoubted highlight.

But mostly I remember spending hours in the car park waiting to go home. That is until the Ol' Man discovered a nearby business/factory where he'd park in the management car park. Had to drive over a small fence but that was nothing as far as my dad was concerned.

Oh yeah, remember the bar at the scoreboard end once had a special on two cans of Vic and a pack of winny blues.

Great playing surface, but in many ways a horrible place to watch games, although the passing of the years has me regarding the memories more affectionately.

The biggest game I saw there was the 91 prelim v the Cats. It was a hot at artic park.

I remember sittng there watching us get beaten by the Crows in the dying stages after looking like we would get home. Must have been mid 90's. Was sitting smack bang in the middle of the Crows su[porters. A father and son clad in their Hawks gear were leaving dejected and this Crows supporter in front of me was standing on his chair giving it to them. The father began to make his way along the aisle and his son was standing there crying and sure enough he knocked the crow clean off of the bench with a right. Then casually walked back to his crying son and exited with his head down.

Karl Langdon was KO'd right in front of me in the 90 prelim v the Bombers. Still remeber the spurt of blood coming from his head like a fountain.

Living in the S-E suburbs, my father loved the idea of a local stadium and got VFL Park memberships for the entire family from the moment it opened. He would go there week after week, regardless who played, and take the family with him. When I was old enough, I went to Hawthorn games wherever they played, but we always seemed to get our fair share of games at Waverley, even before it became our home ground, so I got to sit with my family often.

Favourite memories:

* The 1987 Preliminary Final. Hawks supporters were pretty quiet by three quarter time but I refused to believe the season would finish here. I started screaming my head off at the start of the last, getting sympathy looks from other supporters around me. They weren't sympathy looks by the end of the game. Never heard the final siren, the crowd was that loud by game's end.

* Hawthorn vs Richmond (late 80s) on an Easter weekend. It pelted down, hailstones, the works. Happy to be under cover that day! Still remember those conditions in my mind quite clearly, and the fact it wasn't raining before or after the game. Timing!

* Hawthorn vs Richmond - 1992. A lazy 17 goals from Jason Dunstall. Remember screaming to him to lead when Ando got the ball and charged forward, looking for the pass. Devastated when he didn't. Put the effort in mate, there's lots of supporters out there riding your coattails, me included. We all DIDN'T get to break the record with you... :rolleyes: lol.

* The night grand finals. Nobody did a fireworks display in Melbourne better than the AFL at those night grannies. Spectacular. Oh, and we were usually playing off in those games. And always won, of course.

* The 1991 Grand Final - seemed justified to me we got to play a final at our home venue after the Weagles did the same a few weeks earlier. The MCG may have had more atmosphere, but would have been slightly more neutral.

* Hawthorn vs Carlton - late 80s. Jason Dunstall kicks his hundredth goal, the crowd storms the ground, and the impetus Carlton had in the final quarter was gone. We hung on to win but I doubt we would have if it wasn't for the interruption to play for 10 minutes as we waited for the crowd to dispurse.

* Hawthorn vs Essendon - 1989 Second Semi. Dermott playing like he was a god. Hip and shoulder on Van Der Haar, lovely.

* Hawthorn vs Geelong - 1991 Second Semi. Gary Ayres and that diving punch across the pack to ensure we remained in front with less than a minute remaining.

* Hawthorn vs Essendon - late 80s. Dermott running through the Essendon huddle. No wonder he was my biggest hero. Who does that kind of stuff? How did he get away with it? What a star. Ballsy, but stupid, even he would admit. I loved every second of it.

* Hawthorn vs St Kilda - mid 90s? Down by about 10 goals before half time, Saint supporters looking all smug until a few undisciplined acts by Everitt gave us a little momentum. Less than 2 goals down at 3/4 time and we run away with it.

I'm sure there's more. That's what I can remember for now.

Completely forgetting where I parked the car and having to wait over an hour (it was a big game) for cars to leave so as I could find it.:eek:

1991 GF and for some reason I became insanely feral. I was baiting West Coast supporters (I went and stood near their cheersquad), screamed abuse at their players and somehow didn't get beaten up as I went to the game on my own:eek:

Fantastic memories, but I was definitely lucky to leave the game without a black eye...or two.

Growing up in the Northern Suburbs as a youngen I had to catch a bus to Broadmeadows Station, then a train to Flinders Street, get off at Flinders Street and catch a train to Waverly. Get off at Waverly station and catch another bus to the ground.
Close to a three hour trip each way.

I was making this journey as an 11-12 year old to watch the Hawks.
Not a hope I would let my kids make that journey on their own at the same age these days.

At the last game against the Swans I remember people pulling railings off the chairs, cutting sections of the grass and grabbing pretty much anything that wasnt bolted down as a momento.

Seems a long time ago now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favorite memories that I saw live were :

- The two finals in 1991. Beating Geelong by 2 points in a heart-stopper, then beating a great Eagles team when we were called "too old, too slow".
- Round 1, 1990, beating Geelong by almost 20 goals, Dunstall kicked 12. A truly great day, I thought we were heading for 3 flags in a row. Only injuries ruined that season.
- Dunstall's last match. He did not do much, and we played Freo who were not much good, but it was just a good "Hawthorn" day.
- Several games in the 1990's where Darren Jarman just seemed to dominate. His skills were sublime. You would watch the game live and be amazed at his dominance, then you would get in the car and turn the radio on and find he only had 25 possessions. It seemed like 45, he used the ball so well.

Other good memories that I did not see live were:
- the 1987 preliminary against Melbourne. We seemed gone, and then snatched it. I was listening to the radio and jumping out of my skin. The young lady I was with at the time could not believe it. "I've never seen you like this" she kept saying. Didn't see her much after that, but the Hawks were more important than she was!
- 1989, second semi final. Against Essendon, we were down early, then Dermie started flattening people. He got VanDeHaar with the best shirt-front of all time, then Daisy Williams, possibly another also. He did not get a lot of stats that day but his influence was enormous. He was reported, but cleared. Possibly another reason why Geelong were so keen to get him before he got them in the GF. We came from about 20 points down in the 2nd qtr to win by about 40.
- a non-Hawk game, but when Fitzroy beat Essendon in the elimination final in 1986, I celebrated. I hated Essendon in those days, after they beat us in two GF's. We went on to win the flag that year, plus three more in the next 5 years. Those were the days.

* Hawthorn vs Richmond (late 80s) on an Easter weekend. It pelted down, hailstones, the works. Happy to be under cover that day! Still remember those conditions in my mind quite clearly, and the fact it wasn't raining before or after the game. Timing!

Richo man that day - sensational given the sheet water on the ground

More Buddy then Buddy in his early years

* Hawthorn vs St Kilda - mid 90s? Down by about 10 goals before half time, Saint supporters looking all smug until a few undisciplined acts by Everitt gave us a little momentum. Less than 2 goals down at 3/4 time and we run away with it.

I was at this game with my Dad, who is a Saints fan.

About 10mins in to the second quarter he was as happy as Larry and said to me that this was payback for all the times he had been to Saints/Hawks games and had to sit thru us belting them and the song.

About 10 minutes into the third quarter, we were on top but were still 6 goals down and Dad turned to me and said, "We'll lose this."

"Dad, you're 6 goals up."

"Son, I've been following St.Kilda a long time. There is no greater certainty right now than us losing this game."

We then proceeded to kick the next 7 goals and Dad sat there, with a sort of grinning frown, nodding his head and sporadically saying, "I told you. I bloody told you, didn't I?"

1991 Grand Final - Say no more.

1992 Night Grand Final against Fitzroy. Remembering how poxy the fireworks were.

I never really minded sitting in the car waiting to get out. If it was cold, Dad would have the heater cranking and we'd listen to the post-match on the radio and being from Frankston, once we got onto the freeway, we were home fairly quickly.

One thing I never understood was when they FINALLY put an exit in to Police Rd, the ground was closing....

And yes it was cold but you could always get a seat.

I still miss it - even moreso now that I have my own kids who will never experience 'suburban footy'.

01. 1991 Grand Final

02. Dunstall's 17

03. Last game against Sydney

04. 1992 Pre-season Cup demolition of the Roy Boys

05. Paul Hudson's 9 goals against the Pies in 1991

06. Darren Jarman's game in the centre vs the Saints in the mid 90s. We lost, but from memory he was tagged by Danny Craven and Brett Bowey and ended up with something like 32 kicks and 3 handballs. It was a display.

07. Dermie's shirt front on the The Flying Dutchman in 1989.

I used to Love this ground, I was only 16 when it closed but so many memories!!

I used to go a lot either by myself or with a friend and his family, we would always sit down the scoreboard end front row near the right point post.

I remember the St Kilda comeback came walking out for a kick at qtr time and did'nt bother coming back in because of the thumping untill after 3Qtr time then realising we were back in it, I then started ribbing the St Kilda supporters in which one did'nt take well and tried to get into a punch on!

Also the 99 Pre Season Grand Final, an awesome fireworks display and top game!

Always used to a 3Qtr time go for a kick then go enter the members and get the good seats that someone would of left!

Good times!

Dunstall's last game against Freo and the last AFL game against Sydney were special moments. I went to at least 100 games at Waverley and those matches were really special; incredible atmosphere - probably 99.99% Hawthorn support, attendance at least 10k over the quoted figure and absolute beltings in our favour.

I grew up in the country so Waverley was a 3hr mission from home, and didn't happen to often.
I do remember going to quite a few games though over time, and especially watching Crawford's debut against Melbourne(not sure why I remember that one so well).

Also got to play in a Schoolboys type cup game there as a 17yr old, and running about out there was something I'll never forget. It was like carpet and something a kid like me who had played on school ovals and bush footy grounds up to this stage had never seen or felt under my feet before.
Every yell or call for the ball echoed as the voices bounced off the empty seats and stands, making it quite eery.

I will always remember the size of the posts too, and how the ground dips from end to end, so that when you're standing in the goal square at one end, all you could see was the head and shoulders of the players at the opposite end.

Yes many of the highlights have been covered in the above posts.

Car Parking was not an issue for me - I always parked in Safeway car park and walked to the ground. After the game walked back to Safeway's jumped in the car - straight onto the freeway and home:thumbsu:

PS - didn't tell too many people of my private car space:)

My final memory was our last game there v Sydney - great win yet I left the ground with a lump in my throat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Waverley Park Memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Back