Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne has all the tools. His biggest issue has been constant injuries and being unable to get set in a position.
Let's not forget, the lad is an excellent forward player, and can kick goals.
With his confidence higher, maybe play him on a wing, going into the forward line.
With his uptick in performance, why move him? - He finally looks like the player he could have been. I say keep him as a creative elusive half back for the forseeable. The more confident he gets..the better we are

I would be leaving Milera at half back. Redman takes the other flank and Murray plays CHB.

Milera has years on Smithers and thats where it sits for me when building for our next premiership
interesting if we get Redman whether we extend Brodie for another year at end of 24. My gut feeling is yes assuming he is playing similar football as now and he is certainly a big part of the cultural vibe at West Lakes. Would need to take a big pay cut like Sloaney however to keep going from I imagine 500-600k to half that

Milera is having a decent season and playing his role. Is probably our 7th defender picked each week (behind Murray, Butts, Worrell, Max, Smith, Hinge) and would most likely be the one to make way if we get Redman.

Got torched early by Tarryn Thomas on the weekend, but did some nice things.

Just one of those players (like Doedee) who showed some real glimpses early on, but never built on it and just end up being a decent role player.
His ceiling is much higher than a decent role player if he can get back to close to his best before those 2 consecutive loss years due to injuries. I'm seeing urgency when he gets the ball and his evasion is back which was the biggest worry after the injuries.

His ceiling is much higher than a decent role player if he can get back to close to his best before those 2 consecutive loss years due to injuries. I'm seeing urgency when he gets the ball and his evasion is back which was the biggest worry after the injuries.

He is 25. His best was 5 years ago towards the end of 2018.

Think its far more likely that he is very close to his ceiling. Just like Doedee.

He is 25. His best was 5 years ago towards the end of 2018.

Think its far more likely that he is very close to his ceiling. Just like Doedee.
He hasn't even reached his prime after losing 2 consecutive years due to injuries? Doedee never returned to his best after his ACL which happens to some players.

Milera is having a decent season and playing his role. Is probably our 7th defender picked each week (behind Murray, Butts, Worrell, Max, Smith, Hinge) and would most likely be the one to make way if we get Redman.

Got torched early by Tarryn Thomas on the weekend, but did some nice things.

Just one of those players (like Doedee) who showed some real glimpses early on, but never built on it and just end up being a decent role player.
Milera is better than that, if he's coming good, it's a big deal.
Last month has been at a pretty high standard. I was disspointed with him at the start of the year.

Needs to be defensively tougher, without somehow sacrificing his movement off half back and attacking flair.

He hasn't even reached his prime after losing 2 consecutive years due to injuries? Doedee never returned to his best after his ACL which happens to some players.

Huh?

Both players had breakout 2018 seasons. Both got injured in 2019. Both have never gotten back to their 2018 form.

Its now 5 years on and unlikely they will surpass their 2018 seasons.

Huh?

Both players had breakout 2018 seasons. Both got injured in 2019. Both have never gotten back to their 2018 form.

What? Like I said, this is the first time I've seen Milera back to something which resemble his output in the past. Who knows, maybe Milera would follow the same path as Doedee and never get to his best noting Doedee also did show glimpse of his past form last year or he might get to his best.

Huh?

He’s pretty close to that 2018 form right now

I dunno how much more of a ceiling he’s got in him, but even if this is it, it’s a fine player to have in our 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%.

I think that Milera is easier to replace, but don't think its unreasonable to suggest Smith goes out first.

Smith is our #1 rebounding defender and we try to go through him. His is #1 in R50's, #2 in metres gained, and #9 in inside 50's. Gets unfairly viewed on here IMO, but his drive off of half back is very important to us - especially since Dawson has become a full time midfielder.
Minus the kick outs I think Smith's impact is tailing off

Without checking I'm sure he would have been better than #9 for inside 50s in his prime

Minus the kick outs I think Smith's impact is tailing off

Without checking I'm sure he would have been better than #9 for inside 50s in his prime
He is down on inside 50s, yep. He's up for rebounds though, and is actually getting more of the ball than he has in recent years. Third best year of his career for possessions behinds 2019 and 2014.

I think the big indicator of the modest dropoff in his impact in meters gained, which was always his dominant stat. He's 10th in the AFL for metres gained this year, which is his worst AFL-wide ranking in ages aside from the year he missed with a knee. I think he's playing a bit deeper and some other players are taking some of that run and carry work, Dawson for instance is doing more of the inside 50 delivery.

Still contributing though.

He is down on inside 50s, yep. He's up for rebounds though, and is actually getting more of the ball than he has in recent years. Third best year of his career for possessions behinds 2019 and 2014.

I think the big indicator of the modest dropoff in his impact in meters gained, which was always his dominant stat. He's 10th in the AFL for metres gained this year, which is his worst AFL-wide ranking in ages aside from the year he missed with a knee. I think he's playing a bit deeper and some other players are taking some of that run and carry work, Dawson for instance is doing more of the inside 50 delivery.

I think he's been artificially boosted because he's doing most of the kick outs instead of Dawson now.

Hence Rebound 50s up, metres gained healthy.

I don't think he's playing badly mind you. Still best 22. Just tailing off, primed for a Redman upgrade.

Don’t think we’ve had the options we’ve previously had are sharing it around. Dawson, Hinge and Milera would all be taking some of that. It’s a strength we’ve got so many now and decent kicks. Throw in Jones and Sholl too.

Makes so many bad decisions. Taking on Pickett, bombing long to Fog instead of spotting up a target.

Rookie errors.
Wasn’t all his own fault no player moved towards him just ran back with their opponents, should he still have looked to kick it shorter and more centrally yes. Other brain fades have become less then opening rounds where he was shithouse, given talent on the list he’s not under much pressure given his natural talent levels.

Finally moving a lot better after 2 consecutive years of injuries so at least we know his body isn't cooked but those decisions making today weren't just bad, they were horrific.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

Back