Wayne Schwass

Remove this Banner Ad

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
Petrie Motlop sponsor '03
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where does he stand in the pantheon of North Melbourne greats?
For mine he ranks very high, just below the Careys, Stevens Archers, Schimmas, Blights, Greigs, Glendinnings what do the people on here think?.

Definately, Id say he was on a par with stevo but he went to sydney. He was second favourite to watch though (behind Carey). He had amazing dash.

What was it, Schwatta wanted out and a change, Rock wanted out, Corey wanted out and also wanted a change from Denis?

loved swatta should of picked up a brownlow in the yrs at sydney, he got so close.

my favorite swatta moment was one of the brownlow nights when he was at the roos, the brownlow did a live cross to his hospital bed where he was supposedly suffering food poisoning.

word got out later that it was more like alcohol poisoning from the loss of of another prelim. someone might remember the yr it eludes me at the moment.

racking left foot kicks after dashing runs, brilliant

I remember Denis coming out and absolutley spewing over Schwatta and Archer both getting reported/suspended in the 97 finals. Add to that Corey getting hurt, plus Carey being injured, you can see why we lost to the Saints.

we lost to the Saints

We lost to the saints when Corey got gang tackeled that ended that night.But shwatta wanted out and shannon grant was a damn good replacement,thats how highly the swans rated shwatta because they swapped their best man for him.

Re: we lost to the Saints

Originally posted by bluewhiteblood
We lost to the saints when Corey got gang tackeled that ended that night.But shwatta wanted out and shannon grant was a damn good replacement,thats how highly the swans rated shwatta because they swapped their best man for him.

Yes I remember that game against the Saints, i also remember Saints supporters cheering when he was injured and taken off!!! Also remember the article in the paper from his mum a few days latter, she was at the game and said fair enough you like to boo opposition players, but why cheer when they are injured?

Re: Re: we lost to the Saints

Originally posted by 1jasonoz
Yes I remember that game against the Saints, i also remember Saints supporters cheering when he was injured and taken off!!! Also remember the article in the paper from his mum a few days latter, she was at the game and said fair enough you like to boo opposition players, but why cheer when they are injured?
Disgraceful behaviour by the saints fans that day, hardly surprising, but equally disgraceful. Booing Carey I can understand, but not Corey.

loved schwatta, he along with colbert are the reasons why i love the no.2 guernsey. Was easily my favourite player while he was with us, and still respected him when he wasn't.

Definatly up there in the awesome catagory, but I must admit the grade for Shannon Grant was worth it, we had Wayne for the majority of his career, was awesome. Now we have Grant who has become part of our "Top 3" group, witrh Simmo and Boomer.

Love the guy, and happy we got quality for quality.

Trade was definately worth it, as we effectivley added another 8 or 9 years onto an elite midfielder as Shagga was gonna be around for a while. Schwatta was one of the best players I have ever seen play, could run all day and that left foot was a ripper. Lifted when we needed him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: we lost to the Saints

Originally posted by 1jasonoz

It was bloody discracefull not only McKernan went off injured but Longmire did too from memory, that is why St Kilda are in my 2 most hatered sides, their supporters are feral and watch for them next year to come out of the woodwork if they make the finals like a lot of people believe they will.
But getting to the main subject Schwass, bloody great player, would have been in our best 3 on Grand Final Day 1996, 2 best & fairests. His disposal was excellent, more often than not hitting our fowards on the chest lace out & was quick, bloody brilliant. It was sad to see him go, I think he had out grown Melbourne more than anything, wanted to go somewhere where he was away from the A.F.L. spotlight and Sydney was a good choice. It is funny how I rant & rave about Schwass & yet I feel we came out on top with the swap with Grant. Grant has a good 6 or 7 years on Schwass, a best & fairest & a Norm Smith Medal.

Schwatta was a classa act and is one of my all time faves... bursting throught the midfield and delivering those long raking left footers into the forward line. He was the heartbeat of the team in the mid nineties and when he was on song you knew we'd win. I loved his passion, he could really ignite the team and could also go forward and kick the odd bag. I was devestated when he left and when you consider he had four or so great years with the Swans and won a couple (?) of best and fairests up there, you'd have to rate his whole career very highly.

Up to the point when he left I'd have rated only Carey and Archer in front of him.... We've missed having such a classy midfielder and I rate him as one of our all time best, but marginally behind our greats because he didn't finish with North.

It still rankles with me that we traded our vice-captain and a player that should have played out his days in the royal blue and white and now be considered one of our finest. While the trade worked out well for both players and both clubs - I think it was absolutely the wrong thing to do at the time and was a product of Pagan's uncompromising, single mindedness.... as I recall, the relationship between player and coach deterioated because of things Pagan said to him after the prelimenary final loss in 1997 (Schwatta and Arch both being out suspended). And things broke down from there to the point where he was considered tradeable.

IMO Pagan should have mended that relationship and the trade should never have happened.

Re: Re: Re: we lost to the Saints

Originally posted by year of the roo
Disgraceful behaviour by the saints fans that day, hardly surprising, but equally disgraceful. Booing Carey I can understand, but not Corey.

Adding to the Saints disgrace, I remember the Saints vs Roos match at Arctic Park earlier in the season....the attendance was something like 25,000. Fast forward to the Preliminary Final and suddenly, there were 60,000 of them (all loyal, can name every player without checking the footy record, haven't missed a game since 1907 etc. etc. etc.).

Still, as one (of the more loyal) Saints fans said to me, "We're the only set of fans that will wear a t-shirt that celebrates us making the '97 Grand Final, not winning it".

When Deni$ traded Schwatta I was that ****ed with him that I wrote him a letter asking "what drugs he was on?"
The next day he rings me at work and gives me this 'high and mighty' blast saying who am I to question his decisions!!! Needless to say it was pretty much a one sided conversation and then he slammed the phone down on me. :eek:
I had him on loudspeaker and my workmates listened in disbelief.

I think I hit a nerve with a few things!!
:D

Lost any respect for him after that.

Originally posted by COOL-A-ROO
When Deni$ traded Schwatta I was that ****ed with him that I wrote him a letter asking "what drugs he was on?"
The next day he rings me at work and gives me this 'high and mighty' blast saying who am I to question his decisions!!! Needless to say it was pretty much a one sided conversation and then he slammed the phone down on me. :eek:

Reckon you must be happy he is gone!!
Though.. would be nice to bring back Schwass

Go Roos

sounds like me and my Principles of business law lecturer, god i never knew i could get so damn angry at one person

Absolute gun, if he stayed with the club would be in that bracket without a doubt... as he left the club he is probably just below them, certainly not on ability (better player than Stevo). One of my faves, could celebrate a goal. :)

I would love to see Schwatta back and involved with North Melbourne. I think most people think of him as a Sydney Swans person these days, which is unfortunate. If I recall correctly, Wayne's dad used to be a big North Melbourne supporter. Can anyone confirm this? If so, does his dad still barrack for the Roos?

Would you be able to post the letter on here?. I'm sure it would make interesting reading.

Originally posted by GoNorth
I would love to see Schwatta back and involved with North Melbourne. I think most people think of him as a Sydney Swans person these days, which is unfortunate. If I recall correctly, Wayne's dad used to be a big North Melbourne supporter. Can anyone confirm this? If so, does his dad still barrack for the Roos?

I recall him, some time during the year as special comments man at a North game ,saying that he felt a closer affinity to the Swans these days. Boy could certainly play.

Originally posted by Groucho
I recall him, some time during the year as special comments man at a North game ,saying that he felt a closer affinity to the Swans these days. Boy could certainly play.
Hopefully the premiership reunions in the future will fix up that momentary lapse of reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back