Roast We are the equivalent the worlds 2 worst shits having a shit Warning includes club criticisms

When will Matthew Nicks be sacked?

• Before the end of 2022

• End of 2022

• Middle of 2023

• End of 2023

• Middle of 2024

• End of his contract (2024)

• He will last beyond his current contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have said my honest opinion about your club.

I dont think Matthew Nicks is the main reason why the club is struggling. The bloke can only work with the players he has got.

You cant deny the failed draft picks. But even you know that a Prime elite inside mid like a Prime Judd or Prime Dangerfield or a prime 23-28 year old Dustin Martin would improve and help your club.

Backline and forward line isnt that bad.
The forward line is actually pretty poor.
In terms of key forwards; Fogarty's doing reasonably well, Walker is old, Thilthorpe is a long way from being a finished product and Welsh isn't a product at all yet (and it remains to be seen whether he'll actually be a KPF). Outside of the key position posts isn't ideal either. I'm a big fan of Cook, but he's still developing. Keays isn't great (and has had a pretty poor season). The two best small forwards both want to be midfielders, there's massive question marks on Pedlar (who is also supposed to be a midfielder) and sMurph and Nedward are dogshit.

The defence is definitely good though. At least we have that.

I have said my honest opinion about your club.

I dont think Matthew Nicks is the main reason why the club is struggling. The bloke can only work with the players he has got.

You cant deny the failed draft picks. But even you know that a Prime elite inside mid like a Prime Judd or Prime Dangerfield or a prime 23-28 year old Dustin Martin would improve and help your club.

Backline and forward line isnt that bad.

Nah he is. He isn't maximising the talent on the list. Obviously injuries have hurt but the lack of depth due to him neglecting the extended list is really inexcusable.

Sando says he’s bullish about the list (serious)

Deja Vu Echo GIF by Aurora Consulting - EIDL Consulting

Personally I don't think the list is the problem and Sando is right to be bullish.

In 2023 we played the top four teams 7 times. Our record was 3-4 against them and the 4 losses were by a combined 13 points.

We have played top four teams 3 times this year and are 2-1 with our loss by 3 points.

Since the beginning of 2023 14 of our 21 non wins are by 18 points or less.

We aren't far off and this is all whilst we have one of the worst coaches in AFL history at the helm.

A sando spike isnt far away.

Solid post.

In a strange and Alterattive universe. Andrew McLeod plays for freo. He could of had multiple knee recos like Shaun Rehn did in 1996 and 1999, right between those 2 flags.

I agree. I dont think Freo would of won a flag even if Andrew Mcleod played for freo. Might of make more finals complared to freos 8 years of finals out of 29 from 1995 to 2023.

In another scenario, Crows could have won a flag in 2006 If Trent Henschel didnt have that horriifc leg injury in round 21 vs Port.
the “what ifs” of footy lol

Personally I don't think the list is the problem and Sando is right to be bullish.

In 2023 we played the top four teams 7 times. Our record was 3-4 against them and the 4 losses were by a combined 13 points.

We have played top four teams 3 times this year and are 2-1 with our loss by 3 points.

Since the beginning of 2023 14 of our 21 non wins are by 18 points or less.

We aren't far off and this is all whilst we have one of the worst coaches in AFL history at the helm.

A sando spike isnt far away.
Would love to see what we could achieve with a decent coach, issue is a new coach isn’t going to have a 2023 Tex and he’s going to need a decent ruck.

The thing about our list is we really don’t know how good it is because Nicks won’t play our young mids in the midfield.

Would love to see what we could achieve with a decent coach, issue is a new coach isn’t going to have a 2023 Tex and he’s going to need a decent ruck.

Not worried about a decent ruck. We can recruit a capable ruck.

Replacing Tex is tough, but even this year with him having his 2nd worst season of his career (goal wise) we still aren't that far off it.

The thing about our list is we really don’t know how good it is because Nicks won’t play our young mids in the midfield.

And thats just it. Guy is an idiot.

The three games we played Rankine at over 50% in the midfield were the Carlton/Essendon/Collingwood games. The Carlton and Collingwood games he was by far the best player on the field.

A better coach will realize that you can build a midfield around him and Dawson.

This is still a list with a bunch of high end talented players. We have two superstars (Rankine,Dawson) then we have a bunch of top 15 high end draft picks Rachele, Max, TT, FOG, Pedlar, Curtin that haven't reached their peak but should be physically able to in 2025/2026 (not so much Curtin). We have a bunch players who have shown they can be very good AFL footy players - Murray, Worrell, Keane, Soligo, Nankervis, Hinge and a couple of veterans who need to be managed but should still provide some good footy in 2025 - Tex, Crouch, Laird.

Plenty to like.

We need to use the rest of the season to find out about our younger players...

We need to use the rest of the season to find out about our younger players...
Unfortunately those idiot coaches are in full arse saving mode.

What a wasted year.

Until we properly address and fix the midfield, I just can't be as bullish as some on our list.

As much as Nicks is a totally inept coach, I just don't think as many of our promising young players will make it as some. Whilst this mostly will be down to Coaching/Development at some point you just have to concede some may not be the players you thought they were going to be.

Lets see how the rest of the year plays out but at the very least we need to look at some fresh coaching ideas and overhaul of our development team to see what we can do with what we have for now.

Until we properly address and fix the midfield, I just can't be as bullish as some on our list.

As much as Nicks is a totally inept coach, I just don't think as many of our promising young players will make it as some. Whilst this mostly will be down to Coaching/Development at some point you just have to concede some may not be the players you thought they were going to be.

Lets see how the rest of the year plays out but at the very least we need to look at some fresh coaching ideas and overhaul of our development team to see what we can do with what we have for now.
By the time we fix the midfield, Tex will have moved on, so we better hope that we fix the forward line too. Hopefully TT is it.

Remarkably, I'm kind of OK with our back line.

The other problem is the bottom 5 players in our 22 are reasonably trash. Need upgrades everywhere.

Go back and watch Carlton and Collingwood games to see what Rankine can do. Jordan Dawson is an All Australian midfielder and is only 26. We have two key midfielders already on the list.

Soligo has shown signs. Rachele showed signs early last year and trained with the midfield group. Pedlar if he can stay healthy could be another option.

We have another top 8 pick coming our way and an offseason to possibly land another midfielder.

Which players?

Go back and watch Carlton and Collingwood games to see what Rankine can do. Jordan Dawson is an All Australian midfielder and is only 26. We have two key midfielders already on the list.

Soligo has shown signs. Rachele showed signs early last year and trained with the midfield group. Pedlar if he can stay healthy could be another option.

We have another top 8 pick coming our way and an offseason to possibly land another midfielder.

Which players?
It's looking like a top 4 pick at this rate, which I think slides back to pick #146 after the various academy bids and handouts to everyone who is not us.

The three games we played Rankine at over 50% in the midfield were the Carlton/Essendon/Collingwood games. The Carlton and Collingwood games he was by far the best player on the field.

A better coach will realize that you can build a midfield around him and Dawson.
rankine's midfield days might be over already, hamstrings are quite a nasty injury, never quite heal properly, if you've ever had one. it wasn't really a better coach required for that it was a recruiting decision

from memory rankine had 2 at least at the GC, one of which kept him out for the entire year and 2 here, so it was arguably negligent to pop him in the midfield given he just did it again last season and probably more a decision from a coach under pressure

i'd guess unlikely he'll be in the midfield again this season with the extra explosiveness required in there and if it goes again next season he'll be off to a flank hamish hartlett style for the rest of his career

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rankine's midfield days might be over already, hamstrings are quite a nasty injury, never quite heal properly, if you've ever had one. it wasn't really a better coach required for that it was a recruiting decision

from memory rankine had 2 at least at the GC, one of which kept him out for the entire year and 2 here, so it was arguably negligent to pop him in the midfield given he just did it again last season and probably more a decision from a coach under pressure

i'd guess unlikely he'll be in the midfield again this season with the extra explosiveness required in there and if it goes again next season he'll be off to a flank hamish hartlett style for the rest of his career
What was negligent was giving him a team high 90% game time in that match. More time than Reilly "he can ruck all day" O'Brien. This is a guy who, up until this season, we were told by our Football Director "isn't a midfielder".

We have a coach who crutches on players rather than doing what's best for them and the team. With a bloke like Rankine, you choose your moments and if his mid minutes are spiking, you rest him forward more often or more frequent spells on the bench.

We have enough midfielders to rotate through there if he would just play them.

What was negligent was giving him a team high 90% game time in that match. More time than Reilly "he can ruck all day" O'Brien. This is a guy who, up until this season, we were told by our Football Director "isn't a midfielder".

We have a coach who crutches on players rather than doing what's best for them and the team. With a bloke like Rankine, you choose your moments and if his mid minutes are spiking, you rest him forward more often or more frequent spells on the bench.

Absolutely they need to manage him better to preserve him as he is our best midfielder when in there by the length of the Flemington straight. He is absolutely elite there. BUT he needs rest time - some bench and some up forward otherwise we might never really see him play out a full season and he is that good in there, that its on the club to get it right. We do have others that can roll through there but none have his skillset.

Hoping we draft a top end mid at the end of the year that can add to the support act of Soligo and Dawson ad thats no knock on either of those 2 who are themseves very good mids

maybe a good point never realised, certainly you'd want to manage someone's load with pre-existing injuries. although i found stretching it out and sprinting at top speed to be the biggest worries with it, never quite sure if it would go!

Adam Treloar ripped apart both hamstrings 6 years ago and has been playing as a full time midfielder since then.

Adam Treloar ripped apart both hamstrings 6 years ago and has been playing as a full time midfielder since then.

What concerns me with Rankine though is that it's been his left hamstring every time and it was his left hamstring that kept him out at GC.

There's clearly some underlying problem with it, so I think it's always going to be an issue going forward.

What concerns me with Rankine though is that it's been his left hamstring every time and it was his left hamstring that kept him out at GC.

There's clearly some underlying problem with it, so I think it's always going to be an issue going forward.

The left thing could literally just be down to it being his non dominant leg and therefore weaker than the other.

Not a physio/doctor however I do have a fair bit of knowledge in this area. It might be a concern, but it could also be fixed just by strengthening it more.

maybe a good point never realised, certainly you'd want to manage someone's load with pre-existing injuries. although i found stretching it out and sprinting at top speed to be the biggest worries with it, never quite sure if it would go!
Especially under fatigue.

What’s the chances of us not being shit any time soon?

Think about it we’ve blown our first rebuild
We’ve blown so many first rounders
We’ve neglected the midfield
Tex is practically done
We have Nicks
We have Ogilvie
We have Roo
We have Kelly
We can’t attract recruits

It’s actually ****ed being a Crows supporter

What’s the chances of us not being shit any time soon?

Think about it we’ve blown our first rebuild
We’ve blown so many first rounders
We’ve neglected the midfield
Tex is practically done
We have Nicks
We have Ogilvie
We have Roo
We have Kelly
We can’t attract recruits

It’s actually ****ed being a Crows supporter

We are very shit right now but a lot of that is on coaching and administration. There's quality on the list for a new coach to work with

Here's what we could be working with by the start of the 2026 season, and how many games they would be sitting on

B Michalanney [65] - Butts [100] - Worrell [55]
HB Hinge [90] - Murray [80] - Milera [120]

R (Ruck) - Dawson [150] - Soligo [80]
C Curtin [30] - Rankine [110] - Nankervis [45]

HF Rachele [80] - Fogarty [120] - Pedlar [60]
F Cook [50] - Thilthorpe [75] - Welsh [20]

I Pick 5 2024 [20]

Take your pick for another three players. Could be free agents, or players like Edwards/Ryan/Taylor/Dowling. Could also be one of the shitter players developing hugely, Schoenberg/Sholl/Hamill for example. I'm not even pencilling in ridiculous PlayStation trades, and the side isn't bad.

With a good coach they should be working with a primed, experienced list in 2026 with only a few fixes and additions in the next two player movement periods

But it MUST start with sacking the coaching panel and starting again

Just thinking about Laird and Crouch's stats and I am reminded of Robert Harvey from the Saints now a coach. Blight came in and said let Harvey get his 30+ stats he does nothing with them. Nix the idiot thinks getting 30+ from these 2 is great football. Delusional prxxk he is.

Just thinking about Laird and Crouch's stats and I am reminded of Robert Harvey from the Saints now a coach. Blight came in and said let Harvey get his 30+ stats he does nothing with them. Nix the idiot thinks getting 30+ from these 2 is great football. Delusional prxxk he is.
Ben Cousins had the same claim made against him

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast We are the equivalent the worlds 2 worst shits having a shit Warning includes club criticisms

Back