We should change the dimensions of the Sherrin Football to make it more pointy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to be a long off season with crap like this. May as well change the goalposts as well, Higher Fatter Thinner
Good point
I'd prefer the goalposts were octagonal rather than round. Then after 5 years or so could be an assesment as to whether the ball striking them bounces back unto play more often. After similar experiments with different shapes a study could be done as to whether it should be play on if the ball bounces back into play. This would naturally include many focus groups and heartache amongst fans and players.
Wouldn't be cheap, particularly if I won the tender to confuct the experiment, but over 40 years or so could lead to a a minor change in the game.

There should be infra red beams going across goal face and micro chip in ball.

I had assumed this was a troll thread but on the off chance it's not you seem to be seriously suggesting that we reward poorly skilled teams and penalise better skilled teams just to make things more unpredictable (if it would even do that). WTF?

Let's face it - we all want to change the shape of the ball one way or another.

No, no we all don't
Instead of wasting time coming up with a PerthBoynuffysix type thread about changing the shape of the ball (ffs :rolleyes: ) use the time wisely by making a healthy lunch or exercising

Change the shape of the ball, I don't think I've heard anything more stupid ever

That the AFL basically gifts Sherrin an eternal monopoly means they don't do anything to improve the ball or make it more consistent.

Compare that to soccer and even the rugbys. And numerous other sports.

I don't like the left handed sherrins ;) , but from memory of reading about the history of the ball, T W Sherrin specifically made the ball a bit rounder than the rugby ball because the players liked it and it kicked better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That the AFL basically gifts Sherrin an eternal monopoly means they don't do anything to improve the ball or make it more consistent.

Compare that to soccer and even the rugbys.

That's true, but the ball is essentially the same as 100 years ago with no plastics or wet grip etc like other codes have, I would prefer to see no change.

Bring back the Ross Faulkners
go back to old footage in the early 90s and the Faulkners were a bit more a Banana shape

go back to old footage in the early 90s and the Faulkners were a bit more a Banana shape

AFAIK Ross Faulkner worked for the Sherrins - did his apprenticeship there in the early 1900's

The Burley brothers moved to WA from BALLARAT in the early 1900's.

I have always found the Burleys bigger than the Sherrins

This guy... extracting the urine surely. The Sherrin is by far the best footy to kick. It bounces straight when it has enough forward momentum to get the rotation on the same axis. It bounces sideways when the pointy ends are off center and the forward trajectory isn't enough to overcome it. Simple. A slightly more pointy ball won't actually change that much, but why would you want that anyway? Just blows me away that it would even be a consideration... to anyone other than a Burley or Faulkner sales person. Are you a Burley or Faulkner salesman?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I don't like the left handed sherrins ;) , but from memory of reading about the history of the ball, T W Sherrin specifically made the ball a bit rounder than the rugby ball because the players liked it and it kicked better
That explains why my kicks have been crap all season! I must have picked up a left handed Sherrin by mistake!

Not sure about a banana shape....but appeared to be a bit pointier and maybe a fraction longer. Great for torps...as were the Burley's....personally never liked the Sherrin as a footy, always felt the ball floated off the boot a bit (could have been my kicking style too I guess).

If you'd like to remove the element of skill, why not just have a best of 3 rock paper scissors contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

We should change the dimensions of the Sherrin Football to make it more pointy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back