List Mgmt. Welcome Brady Hough (Pick 31, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast Eagles’ Brady Hough’s stunning rise from country footy to gun AFL small defender​

Brady Hough was a silky midfielder tearing up country football just four years ago.
When he landed at Peel Thunder, they turned him into a half-back. Adam Simpson made him a lockdown defender. Why? Trust.

It takes a whole lot of it to send a third-year player out to wrestle some of the games best forwards, but Hough now has a list of victims as long as your arm and as star-studded as an All-Australian selector’s whiteboard.
Willie Rioli, Toby Greene, Tom Papley, Jake Stringer, Bobby Hill and Kysaiah Pickett are all sit on the list of players Hough has collared this season.

Only one player, Shai Bolton has kicked three goals in a direct match-up with Hough so far this year and Cody Weightman is the only one to have booted two.
Rioli, Papley, Adelaide’s Lachlan Murphy and North Melbourne’s Paul Curtis all went goalless.

Papley has torn games apart as the Swans charged to the top of the ladder, but in Gather Round, he had just three disposals in more than an hour directly opposed to Hough.
It was a bold play for the Eagles to turn a good runner with nice skills into a dour backman, but Hough’s relentless work ethic makes him perfect for the role and perfect for the back-six West Coast are building as part of the most extensive rebuild in club history.

He does not look out of place in a defensive unit that still includes premiership heroes Tom Barrass, Jeremy McGovern and Tom Cole.
“I think it’s because you can trust him,” Hough’s former Peel Thunder colts coach Michael Glassborow said of the 21-year-old.

“I reckon the coaches know they can give him a role and trust him. He’s a professional so he’d do his homework to be able to get the best out of himself and know what the opposition is going to bring.
“That’s the main thing — when you trust someone can do a role for you.”

Hough played seniors for Harvey-Brunswick-Leschenault in the bruising South West Football League as recently as 2021, pulling on the maroon jumper betwen Peel Thunder commitments.
He was a regular for the powerhouse country club at league level in 2020. His talent was clear, but his rise from his hometown to a bona fide draft prospect later that same year was rapid.

Glassborow believes hitting the pathways system late was part of what made him such an exciting prospect. He was raw, and in some ways an unknown quantity.
“Sometimes when kids get into program early you figure out what they can’t do by the time they get to 18, but Hough came in later and everyone was excited by what he could do,” he said.

“And then with a kid like him, if you put him in a professional program there’s always going to be an upside.
“His size is a perfect example. H grew in the gym and two pre-seasons in you could see a massive change in his body. I’m not surprised he’s been able to go in there and put on weight and play at the level he’s playing at.”
Four league games for Peel Thunder — in the final rounds of the same season he had spent time kicking around in the country — were enough to convince recruiters he was the real deal.

“When I spoke to recruiters he just looked like a kid who would play 200 games of AFL footy,” Glassborow said.
“Because when he played with us at colts level he played to the level, but when he got a game at league level he played at the level. Then he went and played State footy — he played at the level.
“It gave him confidence that whenever he got there he’d be able to find a way, which he’s done over the past 18 months before he got drafted.”

The Brady bunch - Hough’s opponents this season​

R1, Port Adelaide - Willie Rioli: eight disposals, 0 goals
R2, GWS - Toby Greene: 12 disposals, one goal
R3, Western Bulldogs - Cody Weightman: six disposals, two goals
R4, Sydney - Tom Papley: three disposals, 0 goals
R5, Richmond - Shai Bolton: seven disposals, three goals
R6, Fremantle - Michael Walters: three disposals, one goal
R8, Essendon - Jake Stringer: two disposals, one goal
R9, Collingwood - Bobby Hill: four disposals, one goal
R10, Melbourne - Kysaiah Pickett: 10 disposals, one goal
R11, Adelaide - Lachlan Murphy: 12 disposals, 0 goals
R12, St Kilda - Jack Higgins: nine disposals, one goal
R13, North Melbourne - Paul Curtis: nine disposals, 0 goals

A good article on Hough and his rise to a exceptional lock down defender.
Also gives the list of his current jobs.

Hell of a CV.

Bolton kicking his first after Rioli insanely chose to play on in the goal square, got smothered on the goalline and it ricocheted perfectly to a teammate while Hough was near it will haunt me til the day I die.
So they first goal was flukey from that Rioli play on error. The Second of Boltons goals came from a Rotham kick that overshot Hough badly leading to a easy Dusty pass to Bolton. So not Houghs fault.

The third was kicked directly on Hough though the shot was taken in the pocket near the boundary. He gave bolton too much space so was an easy pass to him.

So in reality the bolton numbers are a little misleading.

So they first goal was flukey from that Rioli play on error. The Second of Boltons goals came from a Rotham kick that overshot Hough badly leading to a easy Dusty pass to Bolton. So not Houghs fault.

The third was kicked directly on Hough though the shot was taken in the pocket near the boundary. He gave bolton too much space so was an easy pass to him.

So in reality the bolton numbers are a little misleading.
And I haven’t slept properly since.

Brady Hough composure reminds me of Darren Glass. Any chance he can take on the modern game CHB/FB role like Glass did for his era?

That would solve alot of our issues
I think he’s already taller than Glass (jidging by that pic with Schoey a few back). Honestly reckon he’ll be our next shep. Plays well on the smalls and mid size players and will eventually will be able to play on the mobile key forwards.

Damnit, thought this might be an injury update.
Curse your fantastic highlights!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2024 highlights

Not to sound ungrateful because your vids are great, but maybe it would be better to post all these in the general Alesana player highlights thread? Or just a seperate 2024 highlights one? That way each players thread doesn't pop up individually and clog up the board a bit. Especially as we're all expecting list change news regarding a lot of the players too.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Brady Hough (Pick 31, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back