List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

When we get smashed in the clearances, not sure how our wingers are meant to get the ball, he wasn't the only player down on numbers.

He's had some very good moments in the previous few games, I'd prefer he keeps developing in the AFL, its not like we are competing for the flag this year.

I'm more focussed on what the hell is Sheed doing as a sub, prefer a younger faster option.

And Edwards has far less potential then Chesser, would have Chess over him anyday.

Would love to see Chesser get a lot more involved but given his injury issues and the midfielders drafted in his range it is not that bad. Just need to show a bit of patience

Midfielders 2021 Draft from pick 7

7 J Ward
10 Erasmus
12 Sinn
13 Hobbs
16 Wilmot
18 Sheldrick
21 Johnson
Ward is doing better, Wilmot is definitely better but in a stronger team, I think Johnson is better - stronger in the contest and able to find space, Sheldrick is better when he can get a game.

So about mid-range, all hope is not yet lost as you say.

Just feel given what we saw in the pre-season and particularly in intra-club scratchies, he held his own in the 'b' team as an more inside mid against the likes of yeo and kelly and looked to be more suited closer to the contest, but come game time he's not used anywhere near it. With Reid being rested this week thought there was some decent inside mid minutes there to be shared around with some of the fringe mids and not burn Yeo and Kelly out, who had to be managed through the bench so could have no impact anywhere else.. and when we were already managing Ryans minutes, no wonder the team was spent by the 3rd quarter. Opportunity lost again for mine...

Both Chesser and Hunt have been virtually non-existent on the wings over the past two weeks. Neither are providing cover in defence, an outlet from the backline or delivering the ball inside forward. This was masked last week when we continually won the clearances.

We know Hunt's level when he's on song. He needs to play to that level or we should look elsewhere.

Chesser's level is anyone's guess. So far he's been a non contributor. No impact on the game, which is why he's being subbed out. The question is what do the match committee see that I can't? Do we keep gifting him games in the hope something magical might happen? Or do we send him back to the WAFL with instructions to play so well there that he demands an AFL game? I'm firmly in the latter camp.

Both Chesser and Hunt have been virtually non-existent on the wings over the past two weeks. Neither are providing cover in defence, an outlet from the backline or delivering the ball inside forward. This was masked last week when we continually won the clearances.

We know Hunt's level when he's on song. He needs to play to that level or we should look elsewhere.

Chesser's level is anyone's guess. So far he's been a non contributor. No impact on the game, which is why he's being subbed out. The question is what do the match committee see that I can't? Do we keep gifting him games in the hope something magical might happen? Or do we send him back to the WAFL with instructions to play so well there that he demands an AFL game? I'm firmly in the latter camp.
Who do you actually suggest plays wing instead of Chesser tho?

Sheed. If he gets 20 disposals 3 marks and 3 tackles he would have more than tripled Chesser's disposal output, tripled his marks per game and had an infitinitely higher number than Chesser's performance on the weekend. If he has less than 6 turnovers too he won't have tripled Chesser's figure there.

Sheed. If he gets 20 disposals 3 marks and 3 tackles he would have more than tripled Chesser's disposal output, tripled his marks per game and had an infitinitely higher number than Chesser's performance on the weekend. If he has less than 6 turnovers too he won't have tripled Chesser's figure there.
Sheed has been terrible the last two weeks. Less impact than Chesser in both games he has played. (And that’s saying something).

Rewarding old, senior players for garbage like that is grim and we should have moved past that as a club.

Sheed has been terrible the last two weeks. Less impact than Chesser in both games he has played. (And that’s saying something).

Rewarding old, senior players for garbage like that is grim and we should have moved past that as a club.

Sheed was significantly better in just over a quarter on the weekend than Chesser was in almost 3.

tackles

Sheed 4
Chess 0
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Bounce

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheed was significantly better in just over a quarter on the weekend than Chesser was in almost 3.
I mean maybe if you look at the stats in a very basic way. Of Sheed's six possessions only two were effective. Two effective possessions from 25% game time is embarrassing for a senior player. Chesser with four from 65% game time (minimal difference). Not to mention Sheed actually went and played in the middle at stages and wasn't completely isolated on the wing.

Would love to see where you are pulling 'significantly better' from.

Game time

Sheed 33%
Chess 54%

Poss

Sheed 6
Chess 6

Contested poss

Sheed 4
Chess 3

tackles

Sheed 4
Chess 0

clearances

Sheed 2
Chess 0

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The key stat is that Sheed went at 33% disposal efficiency. I would rather a player doesn't touch the ball when he is that bad at using it. Tackle stat is only one that interests me here. Off the top of my head one of his clearances was a direct turnover in the middle of the ground and the other was a hack kick that went 30m in the air and 15m forward. Just rancid stuff.

That logic doesn't cut it for me. There has to be accountability at the selection table. If Chesser had runs on the board from previous good performances he may get some slack, but he doesn't have that. Zane Trew had 27 possessions in his last WAFL game, Harvey Johnston had 18. If they got an AFL game and did not get involved in the play then we've not lost anything, but we might gain something by giving them a chance and showing the rest of the WAFL Eagles that good form gets rewarded.

That logic doesn't cut it for me. There has to be accountability at the selection table. If Chesser had runs on the board from previous good performances he may get some slack, but he doesn't have that. Zane Trew had 27 possessions in his last WAFL game, Harvey Johnston had 18. If they got an AFL game and did not get involved in the play then we've not lost anything, but we might gain something by giving them a chance and showing the rest of the WAFL Eagles that good form gets rewarded.
We have to play someone tho? Its illogical to drop multiple players when there are no replacements.

Trew is clearly not a wingman. He has dominated in the WAFL playing as inside mid which is a different position. Where is the logic there? He is slow and has poor disposal which means he is inside mid or bust. In saying that he should have played over Sheed in the last two games.

Johnston is the only one in the squad I would consider replacing Chesser with. 17 touches in the wafl isn't exactly knocking the door down tho. However, I think we can quite easily have both.

We have to play someone tho? Its illogical to drop multiple players when there are no replacements.

Trew is clearly not a wingman. He has dominated in the WAFL playing as inside mid which is a different position. Where is the logic there? He is slow and has poor disposal which means he is inside mid or bust. In saying that he should have played over Sheed in the last two games.

Johnston is the only one in the squad I would consider replacing Chesser with. 17 touches in the wafl isn't exactly knocking the door down tho. However, I think we can quite easily have both.

How do you think Lach Rawlinson would go playing wing?

It kind of feels like a matter of time until Gaff returns to play on the wing, unless the current guys can increase their output.

Hunt does his best work off HBF I think.

It's a shame JJ can't hit some good form becuase I feel like having Hunt and JJ rebounding gives us that run and carry that we need.

Reading Chesser's draft profile on page 1 it seems he was forecast to be a winger/hbf/outside mid with good ball winning skills when needed.

So I don't feel like he's out of position necessarily. Still think he'll make it. Wouldn't be opposed to him being rested the same way that Reid was, he's not a first year player but has had injuries in the past.

It kind of feels like a matter of time until Gaff returns to play on the wing, unless the current guys can increase their output.

Hunt does his best work off HBF I think.

It's a shame JJ can't hit some good form becuase I feel like having Hunt and JJ rebounding gives us that run and carry that we need.

Reading Chesser's draft profile on page 1 it seems he was forecast to be a winger/hbf/outside mid with good ball winning skills when needed.

So I don't feel like he's out of position necessarily. Still think he'll make it. Wouldn't be opposed to him being rested the same way that Reid was, he's not a first year player but has had injuries in the past.
Johnston needs to be given a run first before that should even be an option.

Not sure why Trew "clearly isn't a wingman". Just because he's dominating at WAFL level in one position doesn't infer he cant play in another position, a position that doesn't have iron clad requirements like the ruck. The logic is twofold; reward good performance and penalise poor performance. Trew literally couldn't do less than Chesser has so far and may just do better.

Not sure why Trew "clearly isn't a wingman". Just because he's dominating at WAFL level in one position doesn't infer he cant play in another position, a position that doesn't have iron clad requirements like the ruck. The logic is twofold; reward good performance and penalise poor performance. Trew literally couldn't do less than Chesser has so far and may just do better.
Heavily disagree. Playing a player in a different position to where they have performed well is setting them up for failure. Inside mid vs pure wing are very different roles. He also doesn’t have the tools to succeed in that position.

Here is a strange thought. Pick him in the position he has actually excelled and in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back