List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats the problem though - who have we got who can help break the tag without gimping the midfield?

• If Harley is tagged then Yeo should be getting off the chain. Didnt happen on the weekend. Quietly I suspect he's still being niggled with that groin injury.
  • Ginbey I would argue is probably too inexperienced (and probably want him focusing on developing his own game)
  • Kelly - most likely candidate, as he tends to fade in and out of games.
  • Gaff/ Sheed - puke
You’re right there probably isn’t anyone.
I know sheed doesn’t like the tough stuff but maybe he could just lay a block with his non pointing arm side, then go to his man.

If those are the AFLs actual definitions, what a cluster ** of a competition this has become. When the definition doesn’t give them what they want, they always have something like ‘has the potential’ so they can do whatever the ** they like.

The tackle was vigorous and dump him but was not a sling tackle as it was all one motion. The player plays on, but the AFL reaction …

Party Celebration GIF by Alanna Flowers

It's important that the AFL can use their subjective judgement to ensure the integrity of the game (within the bounds of the outcome they want).

In this case, we can no longer consider the all-important weight differential because apparently it made some people sad to have their weights published. However, Harley has a duty of care to consider that he is an absolute beast spawned from the Greek gods and every action he does has the potential to obliterate other AFL footballers. In this context, the tribunal will likely find that 6 weeks is an appropriate sanction against Harlecules Reid.

Amazing how much the landscape has changed in about a dozen games. GF 2023 Maynard bumps Brayshaw leading to his retirement. This round Darcy collects Maynard, no concussion, plays on, two matches.

Be interesting to see the penalty for a repeat of that Maynard bump next round ... It'd have to be the death penalty - or worse. :)

Thats the problem though - who have we got who can help break the tag without gimping the midfield?
  • Gaff/ Sheed - puke

Nah play Gaff every week as Reid's deranged bodyguard. Have him go up to taggers and whisper something like "My final hour draws near, child. A blood-red sun sinks into the void. From the nothingness within, Moloch whispers of shattered teeth and broken dreams, of young men's agony and mother's tears. Just one more victim, he hisses. Let me out, Gaffy! I try to resist his entreaties, but I fear my will is weak, and Moloch is strong."

Then he should smile weirdly and jog back to the defensive wing. Give the bastards something to think about.

So the bigger issue of this Reid suspension is that does this mean he's not eligibility for the $1M+ trigger in his third year? One of the criteria was winning the rising star

This really begs the question of whether players who are suspended should actually be ineligible for the Rising Star. After all, if you’re making one of the triggers for a significant pay rise having won the rising star, that’s basically assuming that it was the RS-eligible player that season. But if you’re adding in more things that can result in a suspension (justifiably, given the increased awareness and knowledge of brain injuries), you’re often going to have the best player be ineligible. Should a Harley Reid be financially disadvantaged because of a short suspension from an objectively terrible and arbitrary match review system? Conversely, should someone like Wardlaw or Darcy Wilson get an outsized pay rise because they Steven Bradbury’ed their way into the Rising Star?

I thought it was a Rising Star nomination, not necessarily winning the RS? Could be wrong though.

Fox had it as he has to achieve one of the following:
-Finish top 10 in the Brownlow Medal
-Finish top five in the club best and fairest
-Finish top five in the AFL Rising Star
-Make the All-Australian squad
-Receive a Rising Star nomination (20+ senior matches, Picks 1-5 only)
Ohk so he'll finish top 5 so he ticks tha yes?

• If Harley is tagged then Yeo should be getting off the chain. Didnt happen on the weekend. Quietly I suspect he's still being niggled with that groin injury.
  • Ginbey I would argue is probably too inexperienced (and probably want him focusing on developing his own game)
  • Kelly - most likely candidate, as he tends to fade in and out of games.
  • Gaff/ Sheed - puke
Harley, Ginbey, Culley can all stick a strong tackle. I'm so excited about the mix we're building in the middle & what it looks like in a few years!

His first half was absolutely destructive and not in the way many would have thought. It wasn't flashy marks or goals, but rather a mixture of pure power and putting the team on his back and leading them forward.

For anyone bagging him for the second half, he's a 1st year player, in his 12th game receiving an Afl level tag for the first time. Seriously can't remember any young player getting tagged in his 12th game.

He showed us a glimpse, now it's the managements responsibility to build the support around him.

His first half was absolutely destructive and not in the way many would have thought. It wasn't flashy marks or goals, but rather a mixture of pure power and putting the team on his back and leading them forward.

For anyone bagging him for the second half, he's a 1st year player, in his 12th game receiving an Afl level tag for the first time. Seriously can't remember any young player getting tagged in his 12th game.

He showed us a glimpse, now it's the managements responsibility to build the support around him.
Said the same thing at the game about his second quarter. It wasn't the freakish stuff which can come and go it was genuine contested beast stuff.

The tagging he'll work through as he goes. Would be nice to get some Rowell treatment with a free kick for breathing on him though.

I personally don't think Harley needs that much help breaking the tag, he just needs others to step up if he is copping it.

I thought he got good separation at times in the clearances but the ball didn't fall his way. It's more of an issue in open play, at the stoppage he broke away pretty easily.

Long term I don’t think it’s an issue, short term I think it’s pretty effective at limiting Harleys impact, and stopping us as a team in our tracks.

Simmo tried putting Harley forward, but without Kelly our midfield was far too thin, and it just meant Harley was more or less in a part of the ground where the ball wasn’t.

We need to get our on ball brigade to a point where tagging one just allows others to get off the hook. We’re probably 1-2 years away from that situation with Ginbey and Hewett.

As a team would needed to suport Harley more, there’s no way Windhager should have had it so easy. Where was Harley’s team mates in terms of putting a block on? Windhager walked off the field without a single bruise…. That shouldn’t have been the case.

Also, Harley could have done more to help himself. Postion himself next to Saints best mid so it’s a 1v2 and we have an out number somewhere.

Medium term as Harley develops his tank hopefully he will be able to burn them off more.

For the short term I think it’s a pretty effective strategy and one we will see more and more of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harley, Ginbey, Culley can all stick a strong tackle. I'm so excited about the mix we're building in the middle & what it looks like in a few years!
Add Hewitt to the mix and you have a strong core group of young guys, all with a whiff of mongrel about them.

If they can then play for each other, it bodes well

The umpires effectively set things up to be as frustrating as possible for Reid. He was entitled to two holding frees very early in the piece and they whistled Yeo for high contact the first time anyone tried to put some physical work into Winhager(sp?)
which effectively put an end to his team mates helping out (admittedly very weak from our lads, but unsurprising given our track record)

Winhager did a top job but he got handed the momentum in the MU by the umps. Wilson ended up on the end of a frustrated young bull who simply overpowered him with a very strong tackle. I doubt a more mature body on the other side would have gone to ground like they had been snapped in half and folded into a coffin.

Ah well, Reid will learn and get better from the experience no doubt. he's most likely going to wear the full 2 weeks I reckon. Every time we have tried to argue grading at the tribunal we have lost that I can recall.

Long term I don’t think it’s an issue, short term I think it’s pretty effective at limiting Harleys impact, and stopping us as a team in our tracks.

Simmo tried putting Harley forward, but without Kelly our midfield was far too thin, and it just meant Harley was more or less in a part of the ground where the ball wasn’t.

We need to get our on ball brigade to a point where tagging one just allows others to get off the hook. We’re probably 1-2 years away from that situation with Ginbey and Hewett.

As a team would needed to suport Harley more, there’s no way Windhager should have had it so easy. Where was Harley’s team mates in terms of putting a block on? Windhager walked off the field without a single bruise…. That shouldn’t have been the case.

Also, Harley could have done more to help himself. Postion himself next to Saints best mid so it’s a 1v2 and we have an out number somewhere.

Medium term as Harley develops his tank hopefully he will be able to burn them off more.

For the short term I think it’s a pretty effective strategy and one we will see more and more of.
I don't think it was out of the ordinary for Harley to go forward and there's a good chance that was planned regardless. If anything I'd say he played more midfield in the first half in that game than he had in any game. I think that was pre-planned with or without the tag.

I watched him at stoppages, got an easy 2m on his opponent with a push off but the ruck taps weren't going his way.

I can't see it affecting his ability to get first hands on it. I think it will be more effective perhaps in stopping him getting first hands and then a follow up disposal, but if he goes inside to outside by himself it won't be relevant.

Pay a few free kicks that are there and he all of a sudden he is back in the game.

He will get tagged out of games at times, but it's not like he is averaging 30 touches and they kept him to 21, he normally sits around that 21 mark anyway.

Basically, I think I'd need a way bigger sample size to say Harley has problems with a tag.

I agree though that breaking a tag is a team activity and they can always improve on that and Harley could do more to help others by freeing up someone else by being the person to put blocks on.

The umpires effectively set things up to be as frustrating as possible for Reid. He was entitled to two holding frees very early in the piece and they whistled Yeo for high contact the first time anyone tried to put some physical work into Winhager(sp?)
which effectively put an end to his team mates helping out (admittedly very weak from our lads, but unsurprising given our track record)

Winhager did a top job but he got handed the momentum in the MU by the umps. Wilson ended up on the end of a frustrated young bull who simply overpowered him with a very strong tackle. I doubt a more mature body on the other side would have gone to ground like they had been snapped in half and folded into a coffin.

Ah well, Reid will learn and get better from the experience no doubt. he's most likely going to wear the full 2 weeks I reckon. Every time we have tried to argue grading at the tribunal we have lost that I can recall.
Teams haven't needed to tag our players for a couple of years at least, so most of the kids wouldn't know what to do. It's a learning experience for everyone.

The best midfield players to do something physically about tags are probably Yeo, Ginbey (kid), Hewett (kid / not playing) and Flynn (first game so probably distracted).

I don't think it was out of the ordinary for Harley to go forward and there's a good chance that was planned regardless. If anything I'd say he played more midfield in the first half in that game than he had in any game. I think that was pre-planned with or without the tag.

I watched him at stoppages, got an easy 2m on his opponent with a push off but the ruck taps weren't going his way.

I can't see it affecting his ability to get first hands on it. I think it will be more effective perhaps in stopping him getting first hands and then a follow up disposal, but if he goes inside to outside by himself it won't be relevant.

Pay a few free kicks that are there and he all of a sudden he is back in the game.

He will get tagged out of games at times, but it's not like he is averaging 30 touches and they kept him to 21, he normally sits around that 21 mark anyway.

Basically, I think I'd need a way bigger sample size to say Harley has problems with a tag.

I agree though that breaking a tag is a team activity and they can always improve on that and Harley could do more to help others by freeing up someone else by being the person to put blocks on.

I was referring to what Simmo did after half time when Windhager started tagging him, which only happened in 2nd half.

It’s likely the very first time Harleybhas ever been tagged given it’s been prohibited in U/18 football.

He’ll learn to work through it, but learning to deal with a tag is not an overnight thing and while we are a bottom team, we’ll have less options to a) be able to switch magnets to help him b) be able to cover for his reduced output if he is kept quiet.

As someone mentioned above, it wouldnt have got to the stage where he ragdolled some other first year player if the umps had have done their job properly and paid the first two clear holding frees against Windgagger from the first two centre bounced in the third quarter. ****ing muppets just stood there and stared while Windgagger grabbed Harley and held him off the ball as he was running to get the footy.

I was referring to what Simmo did after half time when Windhager started tagging him, which only happened in 2nd half.

It’s likely the very first time Harleybhas ever been tagged given it’s been prohibited in U/18 football.

He’ll learn to work through it, but learning to deal with a tag is not an overnight thing and while we are a bottom team, we’ll have less options to a) be able to switch magnets to help him b) be able to cover for his reduced output if he is kept quiet.
I'm sure he's been watched closley at u/18 level, but it's a bit different to haveing at tank that can match and suprass his size/strength, and is one of the legit AFL taggers take him on full time.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back