List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as the suspension sucks, I wonder if this reduction in attention will actually end up being a major benefit for him to be able to settle in even more?
Laughs in this week's West Australian.

1718543830488.png

View attachment 2021976
michael fassbender perfection GIF

Heard that Pyke has a plan to get Reid to put pen to paper.

Hire a professional child actor. Maybe from the US.

Deck said child out in Eagles gear.

Get child to be at an open training session begging for an autograph from Harley.

Unfold the sheet out to reveal the 15 year contract.....

Pykey you son of a bitch....

Brad Pitt GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre
So here's the thing about Contract law....

Is he still being plastered over the newspaper constantly?
No. Old mate sports editor announced he was going on holiday for a few weeks, so someone else was doing it for a while.

The back page has been so pleasantly standard and reasonable, like an actual outlet. Quick sample: normal coverage, range of teams and sports, nothing outlandish while still having a parochial dog in the fight.

The return is going to be such ‘did you miss me’ bullshit, just savour the quiet times we’re in now.

IMG_8493.jpeg
IMG_8496.jpeg

IMG_8497.jpeg IMG_8495.jpeg

Dylan Moore gets a way with a fine for a tackle that was just as bad as Harley's imo.

View attachment 2021976

Sadly I was thinking about this exact headline next week when he gets named in the team. It's been a good refreshing change hearing literally nothing either from or about him over the last couple weeks. I bet he's loved it even more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH - don't see why missing games the standard is necessarily for punishing players to eradicate behaviors that we no longer want to see in the game. Especially where these actions are typically split second errors of judgement in a game played at a very high speed.

A punishment in line with a match payment has the same financial impact on a player, and then they're out there the following week playing for no financial reward but still having to work and physically exert themselves.

I'm sure others will disagree, but the discussion around eligibility for the Rising Star and Brownlow as fair as "fairness" have led me to contemplate it. Suspensions for thuggery is fair enough, but guys are getting rubbed out for rather innocuous things, and it would probably remove much of the pressure on those officiating and much of the noise around this kind of stuff.

TBH - don't see why missing games the standard is necessarily for punishing players to eradicate behaviors that we no longer want to see in the game. Especially where these actions are typically split second errors of judgement in a game played at a very high speed.

A punishment in line with a match payment has the same financial impact on a player, and then they're out there the following week playing for no financial reward but still having to work and physically exert themselves.

I'm sure others will disagree, but the discussion around eligibility for the Rising Star and Brownlow as fair as "fairness" have led me to contemplate it. Suspensions for thuggery is fair enough, but guys are getting rubbed out for rather innocuous things, and it would probably remove much of the pressure on those officiating and much of the noise around this kind of stuff.

I think people just want to see a basic level of consistency. If it's suspendable, suspend everyone who does it. The current way it is done should be embarrassing to all the administrators involved but there is no accountability and no desire to see it change. The current system let's the AFL manufacture whatever outcome they like at the time, which strokes a lot of egos.

The league is currently run by the worst type of people. Jesus, even Demetriou seems a comparative saint in hindsight and the guy was crooked as a paperclip.

Nah I'm lead to believe that suspending Reid for 2 games sets a precedent that other players will follow that the action, not the outcome is unacceptable and will put a stop to it immediately...oh there were another 2 incidents of action with the same outcome not penalised...oh well there goes that theory.

Last edited:
I think people just want to see a basic level of consistency. If it's suspendable, suspend everyone who does it. The current way it is done should be embarrassing to all the administrators involved but there is no accountability and no desire to see it change. The current system let's the AFL manufacture whatever outcome they like at the time, which strokes a lot of egos.

The league is currently run by the worst type of people. Jesus, even Demetriou seems a comparative saint in hindsight and the guy was crooked as a paperclip.
I see AD as the start of this manipulating and massaging to get the outcome you desire and every other administrator post him has followed suit.
The "quirks" helping Victorian teams have been increasing since his time in charge.

Maynard sling tackle not even looked at.
Similar impact and outcome, no injury, yet 2 weeks for Harley and a nothing to see here for Maynard.
This system and league is just a joke with it's standards and consistency.

Reid would have every right to feel ripped off.

AFL house not happy with Harley being at WC after they gave North everything they could to get him. North pooped the AFL bed so then when they had the opportunity, they slammed him with a ridiculous penalty. that is what it seems like. Everybody else and his dog are being cleared of wrongdoing - even Butters of striking behind play [4th time by the way], Maynard not looked at, etc.....

AFL house not happy with Harley being at WC after they gave North everything they could to get him. North pooped the AFL bed so then when they had the opportunity, they slammed him with a ridiculous penalty. that is what it seems like. Everybody else and his dog are being cleared of wrongdoing - even Butters of striking behind play [4th time by the way], Maynard not looked at, etc.....

If you think about anything long enough, you can find a conspiracy angle on everything. Thats modern world.

I mean seriously, north pooped the bed and they then punished Reid? You would think they would punish a north player, yeh?

Let’s get some perspective back. Everybody is getting cleared? Everybody?

Maynard was borderline but he pulled him down vs body slamming him into his back. Fine line, for sure. But there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Deep down we don’t want to see slamming people on their backs from a height.

Deep down we don’t want to see slamming people on their backs from a height.
1718760671784.png

The question you have to ask yourself when a player is up for suspension is “do they play for Collingwood” if the answer is yes, then no suspension, if the answer is no, then the rules they’ve made up for the week suddenly apply.
Then double the penalty if they play for an "interstate club" .

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back