List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep Ginbey at half back for a while. We have better options in the midfield next year than we do at half back.

Delisting JJ, Rotham and Witho leaves us lacking defenders, and with our top pick likely a mid, Hall looking for games, Graham probably added, and possibly Trew or another mature age mid added we are well stocked.

A backline consisting of Hough, Ginbey, Bazzo with HEdwards, Cole, Duggan and Gov next year is very exciting, if we could get Travaglia too we are on

Not disagreeing with you but there would have been similar posts written about Yeo early days too.
Possibly. From what I remember we traded for Yeo at a similar point in his career as Ginbey is at now, Brisbane had been playing him at HBF and a lot of posters on here were bullish on us turning him in a midfielder.
I dunno, all I know is that game from Ginbey on Friday was his best performance for us by far imo and it was in the backline.

Possibly. From what I remember we traded for Yeo at a similar point in his career as Ginbey is at now, Brisbane had been playing him at HBF and a lot of posters on here were bullish on us turning him in a midfielder.
I dunno, all I know is that game from Ginbey on Friday was his best performance for us by far imo and it was in the backline.
Yeo drafted 2011, traded to us in 2013 but didn't start playing midfield minutes until around 2016-2017. The predominent view at that stage was that he didn't have the footy IQ to be a midfielder. Moved to the backline again in 2017 and won AA honours there.

This boards perspective end of 2017 was we just didn't have the cattle to contend, we had too many hbf failed mids & should trade Shuey, Darling & Gov because they had some currency. Yeo moved to the midfield again in 2018 and you campaigners know what happened next...

Anyways, if we use Yeo as a yardstick, we can prob give Ginbey a few more years before we write him off completely as a mid.

Yeo drafted 2011, traded to us in 2013 but didn't start playing midfield minutes until around 2016-2017. The predominent view at that stage was that he didn't have the footy IQ to be a midfielder. Moved to the backline again in 2017 and won AA honours there.

This boards perspective end of 2017 was we just didn't have the cattle to contend, we had too many hbf failed mids & should trade Shuey, Darling & Gov because they had some currency. Yeo moved to the midfield again in 2018 and you campaigners know what happened next...

Anyways, if we use Yeo as a yardstick, we can prob give Ginbey a few more years before we write him off completely as a mid.
So if he follows Yeo's trajectory he'll be an AA hbf and then still make me look like an idiot by turning into a gun midfielder

Wait, so HBF is where you can play your first rounders and make them look good?

Throwing them into the coal face midfield might be a tougher gig than anything the HBF can offer.
💡

We may as well leave him there for the rest of 2024 and 2025. Let him build some form, confidence and for Christ sakes, a mans body. (Jokes, but do leave him in the backline though + train with the backs pre season if they can keep up with him)

Not disagreeing with you but there would have been similar posts written about Yeo early days too.
Not so sure - with his dash Yeo would have projected as a wingman/outside mid at the very least. Maybe not so much an on-baller.

Even at Bris he was a far more attacking player at HB than Ginbey is. Ginbey looks like he has a better balance of lockdown vs rebound.

Not so sure - with his dash Yeo would have projected as a wingman/outside mid at the very least. Maybe not so much an on-baller.

Even at Bris he was a far more attacking player at HB than Ginbey is. Ginbey looks like he has a better balance of lockdown vs rebound.

Mmmm, I remember vividly 2015-2016 people thinking Yeo was a bust because he hadn’t locked down a role and hadn’t become a mid.

Think 2016 he even had a stint as a forward that didn’t work at all.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How Ginbey played last Friday night reminded me a bit of Shep. Played tall and small, and broke the lines.
Hough is our lockdown and Ginbey is our tough fast strong marking H/B.If he can develop that raking left foot he will be a weapon.a player in this mould can be just as valuable as a good mid.

Looks like a Jack Crisp type to me. Above average athlete across the board so can play on almost anyone down back. Strong contested player and whilst not an elite user has speed/power to break lines and congestion to create play and distance gained. Will probably end up playing a versatile role mix of mid and def depending on the team needs. Probably not going to be a dominant player but will be consistent and let others shine.

Looks like a Jack Crisp type to me. Above average athlete across the board so can play on almost anyone down back. Strong contested player and whilst not an elite user has speed/power to break lines and congestion to create play and distance gained. Will probably end up playing a versatile role mix of mid and def depending on the team needs. Probably not going to be a dominant player but will be consistent and let others shine.
My initial thought was a taller Andy McGrath.
Can play a lockdown role but also brings a lot of run and drive from the backline.

Mcgrath was originally thought of as a mid too coincidentally, but has been reasonably good since going down back.

Hough is our lockdown and Ginbey is our tough fast strong marking H/B.If he can develop that raking left foot he will be a weapon.a player in this mould can be just as valuable as a good mid.

Yep, look at how valuable Lachie Whitfield is to the Giants and the way they play. He’s almost always the first one tagged when opposition try to shut down a Giants player, because he reads the play brilliantly and is deadly accurate by foot. Imagine if Ginbey reached those levels 😮‍💨

Thatd be ideal.
Ginbey, Travaglia, Hough, Duggan, Gov, HEdwards and Cole would be a cool backline for round 1 next year

Yep, like it. Even if they wanted to push Duggan up to a wing, and have Jayden Hunt play backline that’d also work. Maric could also come into consideration as a 3rd tall down there if required.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back