List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mmmm, I remember vividly 2015-2016 people thinking Yeo was a bust because he hadn’t locked down a role and hadn’t become a mid.

Think 2016 he even had a stint as a forward that didn’t work at all.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don’t think anyone thought he was a bust, we were frustrated at how lost he looked in stoppages though. I don’t think Yeo was/is a natural inside mid either, but he would have found his way up the field in some capacity regardless. His aggression and competitiveness means he’d eventually succeed anywhere. Ginbey doesn’t appear to have that same aggression - could easily develop over time though. I’d still be completely fine with him staying at half back and just draft some more natural inside mids.

I don’t think anyone thought he was a bust, we were frustrated at how lost he looked in stoppages though. I don’t think Yeo was/is a natural inside mid either, but he would have found his way up the field in some capacity regardless. His aggression and competitiveness means he’d eventually succeed anywhere. Ginbey doesn’t appear to have that same aggression - could easily develop over time though. I’d still be completely fine with him staying at half back and just draft some more natural inside mids.

Eh, don’t really buy in to this that much.

Midfield craft is a skill that can be cultivated. Yeo didn’t just wake up in 2018 and all of a sudden become a mid due to his aggression and competitiveness. He worked on his craft.

Reuben could be the same, but if he becomes a 200 game high quality half back I’d take that as well.

Apologies if its been mentioned, but I love how annoyed he was at himself when he missed a kick that went out of bounds during the game (not the first time his shown disappointment in himself). He has high expectations of himself and doesn't want to let anyone down. We are never going worry about Reuben trying to get the best out of himself, as he will work and work and work on everything he does and his weaknesses even more and still not be satisfied. Reuben would be odds on fave to be the young culture leader in the team. Just love this kid

Last edited:

My criticism of Ginbey has always been that he's not a midfielder. A coaching issue.

Seems a natural in defence (funny that, it's where she played his junior footy 🤦‍♂️)

**** off with the midfield potential drafting. Draft midfielders if you want midfielders, but if you draft defenders, play them in ****ing defence!

My criticism of Ginbey has always been that he's not a midfielder. A coaching issue.

Seems a natural in defence (funny that, it's where she played his junior footy 🤦‍♂️)

**** off with the midfield potential drafting. Draft midfielders if you want midfielders, but if you draft defenders, play them in ****ing defence!

He played as a mid basically his entire draft year, except when he played in WAFL seniors from memory.

It was his work as a midfielder that saw him go from relative obscurity to top 10 draftee.

I really loved the dash in the last quarter- really got to use his athleticism. But then, had the composure to take the short kick when the easier kick would have been to kick it long to a contest with the crowd roaring and the state of the game.

Shows he is growing I think. Reuben last year, (or even earlier this year) would have taken the kick earlier, or just kicked long.

I always feel with Reuben it will click one day just how ridiculously athletic he actually is. And then look out. If he spends a few years cultivating that at HB then that’s OK. And if he doesn’t make it to the midfield, because he is too good in the back half that’s OK too. We need Elite talent across all lines. Not just our midfield.

I wouldn’t be rating his midfield time on the last couple of years so much, though. We have really not been a good side for any level of development, from our WAFL side up. The fact he’s able to contribute before he is 20 speaks volumes.

I’ve always stated that we have been hyper critical of Ginbey and thats cause of the circumstances of what’s happened over the last two years and where the clubs at. If Ginbey was drafted in 2018 we’d all be happy with his output even in the middle.

Kids generally take time but seeing a few kids in recent years take to AFL like ducks to water has also made us impatient

If someone plays like a match winner on a specific role, I say leave them there full-time. Maybe when Ginbey has a few more seasons under his belt he can do more stints in the midfield, but Friday night he looked like an AA backmen.

Hope Schofield continues to play him there, especially if Barrass heads over East. Different style of back men but at least replace quality with quality.

Tracking pretty good when compared to others in his draft range, playing midfield straight away was never ideal so good to see him being used across half back and using his attributes.

From Pick 5 to 13

Tsatas, Humphrey, Mackenzie, Clark, Ginbey, Phillipou, Hollands, Fletcher, Busslinger

A few on here have said that Reuben has played back all his life, that’s not true.

In his older years of junior footy he has always played various roles of mid & when he went into the PSA system they played him back because the older students played mid.

In his year 12 season he played both, but mainly mid. At senior level at EP they played him back, but that was because he was still year 12.

When he played u18’s for WA he played mid & he was drafted as a mid.

A few on here have said that Reuben has played back all his life, that’s not true.

In his older years of junior footy he has always played various roles of mid & when he went into the PSA system they played him back because the older students played mid.

In his year 12 season he played both, but mainly mid. At senior level at EP they played him back, but that was because he was still year 12.

When he played u18’s for WA he played mid & he was drafted as a mid.
Does look far more comfortable down back though. Reading the play when it's coming at him looks for natural for him.

I mean, we need so many good players all over the ground, if he turns into an intercepting and rebounding beast, then that's a massive win. We only really have Hunt for drive off HB currently.

Might end up taking the Yeo route of a few years at HB before going FT into the midfield.

Looked comfortable killing contests against some big opponents as well. He seems somewhere between Yeo & Shep. Yeo's athletic profile with Sheps playing style.

I think he will get better overhead once he plays more footy in that role and judges the ball coming in a bit better. I don't see a weakness there at all.

His aggression at the ball is fine. When he knows he can get to the ball he bodylines it and I can see a few players not wanting to stand in the way him.
He had a few pinball moments with mids in his second year its just he struggled to consistently find the right moment to impact the game physically as a mid but I don't see that hesitation in the games he's been moved back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does look far more comfortable down back though. Reading the play when it's coming at him looks for natural for him.

I mean, we need so many good players all over the ground, if he turns into an intercepting and rebounding beast, then that's a massive win. We only really have Hunt for drive off HB currently.

Might end up taking the Yeo route of a few years at HB before going FT into the midfield.
Absolutely, I definitely agree. I do feel he will become a high end mid but he just needed to settle into a role. As you say if that doesn’t eventuate then you have a quality half back.

He's been thrown around a lot with most of his first year following other opposition mids around to ‘learn’. I don’t think he liked it & it hindered his ball winning opportunity.

He has an exceptional leap which you’re only just seeing now with this role & once he gains the confidence he will become a brilliant intercept marker.

He’s extremely diligent with his preparation & will always put team first. His kicking has been solid without being exceptional & I can see an improvement with that.

A lot of that comes down to making the right decision with the ball rather than the execution of the skill & off half back it’s a bit easier.

He’s definitely no Harley Reid, he’s never had that arrogant confidence (not a bad thing) so needs direction whilst he starts out.

He’s definitely no Harley Reid, he’s never had that arrogant confidence (not a bad thing) so needs direction whilst he starts out.

Even when Freo supporters are talking about Ginbey it comes back to Reid!

Just joking mate, really appreciate your insight into Reuben and his past etc. 🙂

You’re clearly close to Ginbey, so to support him fully, you need do the right thing and convert to West Coast. Do it.
It’s a long story why I don’t support WC involving the very early years, Trevor Nisbett & a preseason.
I just like talking footy & hope I can add something to your chats from time to time.
As I said on our thread I know a lot more about you guys than I do Freo as I have a number of contacts in the club.
I’ll just come on here respectfully, I’m too old to have animosity against you guys & with Reubs there I’m now more interested in how the club is travelling as I want him to enjoy his career.

The usually incomparable work of Alesana has now been matched by Ginbey’s work rate to get involved in a one-two after his disposals. Look at him burst away after those early kicks - give me the pill campaigner BSD energy!

As much as I would love to see Ruebs become a mid, it would be massive if Hewett stays fit and becomes a first choice mid and we land a couple good mids via this years draft. My hopes for Chesser aren’t as big as they used to be but I still have some

just like talking footy & hope I can add something to your chats from time to time.
We’re a board that welcomes this.

Hell we’ve got a Lion that seems live here as well.

Always welcome to talk football, regardless of club colours

🤝🏽

As much as I would love to see Ruebs become a mid, it would be massive if Hewett stays fit and becomes a first choice mid and we land a couple good mids via this years draft. My hopes for Chesser aren’t as big as they used to be but I still have some

We just need to find a role for Chesser & he will be fine. Would love to see him playing the role Jermaine Jones plays from the backline with that run & dash. He’s def shown he has that in him

If Hewett's feet transplant holds and if Chesser can find a cure for his leather allergy...

200.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back