Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting his hands to a lot of it, but just not sticking themm. Gives me horror flashbacks of O'Brien. Calsh does more and I'm confident once he gets that strength he will be more commanding in marking contests.
Timmy played something like 90 games for us across 7 seasons, can we please give Calsh some time to breathe before making any comparisons to past players FFS.

Lol I reckon outside of the games against Melbourne where Timmy would decide he wanted to be Carey for a day, Calsh has already taken more contested marks than TOB.

For me Calshers point of difference is his defensive tackling.

I don't think I've ever seen a guy his size chase down so many people with bone crunching tackles.

It's one thing to have the speed to chase someone down, it's a other thing to have the desire to lay a tackle once you catch them and he has both.

Still think Lewis will take his spot once he is fit but he's had a good taste of senior footy and will be even better after another pre season to get stronger.

And if he needs inspiration for crunchy tackling he can watch the 2014 grannie and ask his coaches what they did, and for chase down ones he's got front row tickets to the Chol show.

Should watch the 2015 one as well.

Schoey was a man possessed and set the tone early.

Getting his hands to a lot of it, but just not sticking themm. Gives me horror flashbacks of O'Brien. Calsh does more and I'm confident once he gets that strength he will be more commanding in marking contests.
We were severely lacking in a tall forward to bring the ball to ground in the beginning of the year. Calsh is fantastic at bringing the ball to ground even when out numbered. Id even go so far as to suggest that he is the best at doing so. Chol gets pushed out or held out of more contests but Calsh finds a way to get to the contest and get a fist in.

I don't like shitting on Tim O'Brien for no reason, but he took 4 years in the system and twice as many games as Dear to take as many contested marks as Dear has in 6 games as an 18 year old.

It wasn't even a bad trajectory for Timmy. Charlie Curnow took an extra 4 games to reach Dear's tally, in his second year. Harry McKay did it in only one more game, but after 3 years in the system.

Sky's the limit.

I don't like shitting on Tim O'Brien for no reason, but he took 4 years in the system and twice as many games as Dear to take as many contested marks as Dear has in 6 games as an 18 year old.

It wasn't even a bad trajectory for Timmy. Charlie Curnow took an extra 4 games to reach Dear's tally, in his second year. Harry McKay did it in only one more game, but after 3 years in the system.

Sky's the limit.

It's all said with love for Timmy. He's a great guy and took some absolute all timers as far as marks are concerned.

Every team needs a ginger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Grant in his first season kicked 51.31 and took 102 marks.

I prefer Calsher though.
Chris Grant did this when he was just 17.

I remember the media shitting on him for a few seasons bc he did not deliver like Wayne Carey in a few finals.

It was horribly unfair.
Bulldogs were a scrappy team who did well to win as much as they did under Wallace. North were actually very good all over the park in That era.

I can’t understand how he was such a late pick. For a first year tall he’s going brilliantly. Would go top 5 on a redraft from last years group at this stage.
He hasn't played much football only started taking it seriously 18 months ago

He hasn't played much football only started taking it seriously 18 months ago

And so consistent already, last night wasn't his best game.

But the gap between his best and worst outings is absolutely tiny at this stage.

He just finds a way to get involved even when it looks like he's fading. So many reasons for us fans to love him and the hope he represents.

I can’t understand how he was such a late pick. For a first year tall he’s going brilliantly. Would go top 5 on a redraft from last years group at this stage.

You're forgetting he's a Father-Son pick which generally don't go very high due to discounts etc. I just had a quick look at the stats and in the history of Father-Son picks with the modern draft system, only 6 have been in the top 10 (Sam Darcy, Will Ashcroft, Nick Daicos, Luke McDonald, Darcy Moore, Joe Daniher).

That and considering he only seriously took up footy 18 months ago as TheFourPillars stated above, it's perfectly understandable why he was such a late pick.

He would sit nicely in that top draft pick list at the moment if he had gone through the system, it would be interesting to see how his first season lines up against Darcy and Daniher.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear! Rising star nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back