Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Announces retirement (2 Sept 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

We've just had glimpses of what Chad could have brought if he was fit for an extended time. His best with us has been exactly like it was the past month - next level good.

If this new injury is on the same leg that he had calf trouble on, this might be the end. I'm always hopeful of a player coming back at any age.

But if this is it I feel like he's (and us) been robbed of the career he would have had without injury.

Who knows though, maybe he gets back for finals in a year or so.

Either way... AFL. Ain't for long!

Last edited:
Both David Beckham and Kobe Bryant ruptured their achilles heels at 35 y.o.
Both made successful returns.

Beckham returned within 6 months.
Bryant within 8 months.

Chad's career at Hawthorn should not be written off at this stage and is likely to be dependent on his approach to his rehab, and the progress he makes before lists are finalised.

Let's effin go Chadley!!

Unless it is close to minimum salary, I don’t think it would be great list management to re-sign him. He’s 30, likely missing a good chunk of next year, is chronically injury prone and struggles to play well through injury interruptions. It’s unfortunate but sometimes injuries just get the better of players.

Very interesting decision to make.

I wonder if we offer him a rookie spot/list spot on reduced wages with an option for a second year (2025) on higher wages if he ticks boxes in the second half of next season.

I think it will come down to how much value we place on him from a teaching and culture perspective. If he adds significant value when it comes to mentoring younger players, then a contract model could work for us/him.

Very unfortunate for him - had clearly worked super hard to get a new deal and its been robbed.

Hopefully this isn’t how it ends for Chad. Was poorly treated by Port and not sure that he has ever fully recovered mentally. Only shown glimpses of his best at the Hawks. Hopefully things go well with his rehab and he gets back.

+1

Still love him. Will always love him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting decision to make.

I wonder if we offer him a rookie spot/list spot on reduced wages with an option for a second year (2025) on higher wages if he ticks boxes in the second half of next season.

I think it will come down to how much value we place on him from a teaching and culture perspective. If he adds significant value when it comes to mentoring younger players, then a contract model could work for us/him.

Very unfortunate for him - had clearly worked super hard to get a new deal and its been robbed.
If he wants to go on that is what I would do. No other club would touch him now. If we are going well by the middle of next year he could be an interesting addition for the back half of the season

While the news is as expected, it doesn't mean it is the end for him.
9 months would have him back midseason next year.

The club would have contracted him for next year so nothing should change.
Hopefully by June or July he is good to go.
Do a 4 week "pre-season" and then look to rejoin for our finals campaign.

I'd give him another year on low/reasonable salary. Would be a good morale boost for the players that we look after our own. From what I'm told, he is well loved around the club.
How does the players insurance go with career ending injuries? From memory Dane Swan was better off retiring on better money from the insurance payout from his injury rather than take a new deal from Collingwood.

If we think we're offering Chad minimum chips, it could be way unders what he'd get from an insurance payout

I'd give him another year on low/reasonable salary. Would be a good morale boost for the players that we look after our own. From what I'm told, he is well loved around the club.

I don't think the club will pay less because he cant play half the season.
And I also don't think that paying him a lower salary is a "good morale boost" because he is injured.
I wouldn't accept that and I doubt anyone else would.

i think the players would think it was terrible.

We have cap room - pay him what he is worth, even if he is in rehab for a big chunk of next season.

If he wants to go on that is what I would do. No other club would touch him now. If we are going well by the middle of next year he could be an interesting addition for the back half of the season
Agreed that he is now untradeable.

So the options for the club are:

1. Contract him on reasonable senior list salary - with no guarantee he will be able to play in 2024

2. Cut and rookie-list him on low money and use the $$$ we get from his massive pay reduction to make a big offer to a KPF we want to trade in.

3. Cut completely and repeat #2 with (a) a young untried rookie to come in and
(b) still try to lure a big fish with that extra cash

I think any sensible list manager will choose options 2 or 3. I’m hoping we choose option 2.

Absolute shit way to go out, if this proves to be the end as it looks.

He was looking back to some really good form too.

Always liked him and was annoyed when we forced him out. Was hoping he'd be a superstar at the Hawks but the injuries took their toll. What rozee is doing in the midfield now is what I thought Chad would be.

Still a good career for him to look back on. 200 games, 300 goals, a couple of AAs and some amazing highlights.

Any concept about paying him a good wage because it's the right thing to do seems weird to me personally.

He has been clocking $750k+ for the last 5 years from the Hawks and we probably only got $750k level footy in maybe 2 years out of those 5 (and that's being generous).

It's not his fault we overpaid him but neither is it the clubs fault he is constantly getting injured. Life's just like that sometimes.

We had Ricky Henderson come to the club for absolutely peanuts and I'd argue we got more output from Hendo in those three years he was tearing up and down the wing than we got in five years from Chad who cost us an arm and a leg both in trades and $$$.

We need to be like a share trader and cut out losses. No point doubling down again on a losing trade.

I'm not meaning to make this sound harsh but since when have the Hawks ever been prone to emotion in list management? I'd argue we have been one of the most pragmatic in this space for a while now (look what we did with Lewis, Mitchell (x2) and Hodgey).

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Announces retirement (2 Sept 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back