Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have to be one of the quickest guys in the afl? Maybe others have better burst acceleration over the first few steps but once he’s moving he just motors past players - but also has a huge tank as well.
yeah someone mentioned in the commentary he ran a sub-50 second 400m at school? Impressive

yeah someone mentioned in the commentary he ran a sub-50 second 400m at school? Impressive
Did you know Luke Breust was drafted from rugby league country?

3 or 4 times ran from defence, straight up the guts and kicked long to the goal square. Terrifying for the opposition.

Both he and Day have the inclination to receive and take off. Impey and Frost do it often as well. Has utterly transformed our defence.
Yep - and couldn't be better suited to the new rules. Having a bunch of players that can break lines with pace and long kicking from handball receives will make it difficult for teams to keep those tight cluster zones. A forward handball, ten meter dash, then a 60 metre kick means teams will have to stretch them out to 80 metres, which will great extra space

I wouldn't at all be surprised if that were true. That time would be a heck of a lot quicker now after 3 pre seasons and a running coach.

Different demands for an AFL footballer, I doubt it'd be quicker. He went to Xavier College and they don't lack for an athletic program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game against Richmond will be his benchmark. The pressure will be higher and he will have to make quicker decisions. This game will reveal how far he has come.
Hopefully Richmond brings it (not the half arsed effort from last year) so can get a better read on CJ but also how Day, Moore, Morrison, Ollie, kosi stand up to real pressure and team that’s very hard to just outwork.

I remember his first game (think it was the match it snowed up in Canberra?) and one of the first things I saw him do was back into a pack to make a spoil.

That was the moment I thought to myself this kid could make it.

Because it is one thing to be a athlete (which he certainly is) but you also need to have such a high level of personal courage to play AFL and that one act showed me he had it.

A courageous backman who can spoil and I tercept mark like Gibbo and dash off half back to deliver to the forward 50 is a great combo if it all comes together.

I don't know but I get the feeling from Luke Darcy that young CJ might just be athletic.
Even my Saints supporting mate said to me today "Luke Darcy and his shit! How athletic is CJ! Look at the athleticism with CJ! So athletic, this CJ!"

It's not just us noticing. ;)

Darcy also said about Draper, They love him down at Essendon, They love him down there, They love Draper at Bomber land.......ad nauseum.

I felt dumber after listening to the commentary on our match and watching the umpiring performances compounded it. You know the umpiring is shite when the winning side complains about it.

Last edited:
Darcy also said about Draper, They love him down at Essendon, They love him down there, They love Draper at Bomber land.......ad nauseum.

I felt dumber after listen to the commentary on our match and watching the umpiring performances compounded it. You know the umpiring is sh*te when the winning side complains about it.

They need to get Bennett or another dedicated commentator in there, the ex players ruling the roost is less about commentary and more about how many platitudes they can spout.

Even my Saints supporting mate said to me today "Luke Darcy and his sh*t! How athletic is CJ! Look at the athleticism with CJ! So athletic, this CJ!"

It's not just us noticing. ;)

And yet Jason Bennett probably spent Saturday night on the couch like the rest of us. It's absurd how overlooked he is. A bit like Tony Armstrong, a former player himself, is doing great work at the ABC and NITV right now and is a really well spoken and knowledgeable guy but the networks would never give him a look but don't blink before giving ex players who can barely string a sentence together like Darcy and Richo a multi-night gig.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back