Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure even at VFL level, coaches would have information and instructions against their opponent.

Would any have bothered with DGB countermeasures as a forward? I'm sure their KPF were instructed how to keep DGB from impacting the contest - but why would a KPD have spent any time whatsoever?

Timmy was a talented KPF - fast, high leaping, marking at the highest point with great endurance and good skills - until the opposition paid attention to him, realised he was weak-bodied and easily unbalanced on takeoff, making him completely impotent if you took away momentum or applied a modicum of body pressure. It's why he looks better as a KPD (he's the one making the contest).

Let DGB have a few weeks, generate the attention of the opposition and have them try and stop him first. If he can cope with that (I believe he can), then lets give him a shot in the seniors.

Devil’s advocate - one good game thrown forward is enough to play in the seniors ?

My spidey sense says a couple more at BH in that position first and it’s a not a “what have got to lose” argument - it’s about cementing it for him at the lower level to build confidence bc throwing him up to the senior level could be too soon in this new position and could stymy development rather than foster it
Some players get picked lately after not even playing a good game at BoxHill, namely Wingard, and Finn. DGB has played well enough over time to warrant a game.

Easy when the structure is designed around the big fella. Buddy's box or something rather

Think you need players to play within a loose structure. Don't need robots like Carlton the first half of the year
Lol mate there is no place for this in the modern game.

Samuel "Sam" Mitchellinho (born 12 October 1982) is a Brazilian professional Australian football coach and former player. Currently coaching AFL club Hawthorn Football Club, Mitchellinho is the only AFL coach to study under Josep "Pep" Guardiola Sala (Catalan pronunciation: [ˈpɛb ɡwəɾðiˈɔlə];[3][4][5] born 18 January 1971). He is known for employing a 7-6-5 formation, famously utilising a false CHB (most famously, Denver Gringo-Baressi) and loose structures. He is considered to be one of the greatest players of all time.[7][8][9]

Samuel "Sam" Mitchellinho (born 12 October 1982) is a Brazilian professional Australian football coach and former player. Currently coaching AFL club Hawthorn Football Club, Mitchellinho is the only AFL coach to study under Josep "Pep" Guardiola Sala (Catalan pronunciation: [ˈpɛb ɡwəɾðiˈɔlə];[3][4][5] born 18 January 1971). He is known for employing a 7-6-5 formation, famously utilising a false CHB (most famously, Denver Gringo-Baressi) and loose structures. He is considered to be one of the greatest players of all time.[7][8][9]
View attachment images (5).mp4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another week forward at BHH can't hurt, especially if he'd have to go up against Hayne and Himmelberg. GWS aren't a terrible VFL side either, if Denver can back it up he'll be every chance to have a run at AFL level before the end of the month.

Or a few weeks forward at BHH.
Lets see if he can kick goals in consecutive/multiple weeks.
I would give him another month at least to see if forward is really his thing or not.

Being very judgmental - especially to someone you've never met for god's sake.
Fair call… the daughter comment may have gone too far… my point was that he seems far too emotionally reactive. He literally gets into a physical confrontation with every opponent he has on the field… be it in the backline or the forward line.

Physically combative is great, it is an awesome trait, my fear is that DGB will be baited in the AFL and give in to his emotion to respond. If I was his direct opponent I’d bait him.

I hope not, but I fear it will happen.

In the late 2000’s Buddy Franklin gave away more dumb frees than any player I have ever seen… maybe ever… I saw the stats… he was way out in front for free kicks against…. but they were in the fwd line and he made up for up for his stupidity with the talent to get constant shots on goal... and converting some while giving off many others.

DGB is no Franklin.
I Just want DGB to be smart in his aggression.

Last edited:
Not only is he a very talented footballer, but you obviously haven’t met him, have met him numerous times starting from his junior days and he is a quality young man.
Right you are… I overstated to the off field stuff and should not have. Mea culpa! I should do better.

Last edited:
Sam just now on SEN - likes DGB's competitiveness, we have struggled to kick goals and lock it in. So obviously DBG will play forward and creating defensive pressure a key part of what he is looking for. Could this be the week of the scape goat comes good? Mitch Marsh scores a ton, DGB kicks 13?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back