Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be anything, but don't think he will won the rising star. The award is given by the all-aus panel, and we know how they view things

I do think he could surprise a few and be top 10 in the brownlow.
In all our games this season there really hasn't been a standout player, so I think he could pinch a couple of 1 and 2 votes, alongside some b.o.g games
If Newk gets an invite to the Brownlow hope he’s the first person to turn up with a black head band that matches his suit!

Is Jai getting Brownlow votes?
I'd have him getting 3 votes against Geelong and Brisbane. Maybe picking up 1 vote against Essendon.

Trouble is many players don't tend to poll well in the first year that they should have. It sometimes takes some hyping up before they start getting recognised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately have heard some news that he has fractured his scaphoid bone in his hand/wrist - planning on playing through it but would imagine he would be in quite some pain.
Where/when did this supposedly happen?

Unfortunately have heard some news that he has fractured his scaphoid bone in his hand/wrist - planning on playing through it but would imagine he would be in quite some pain.

That's surgery and upwards of 6-8 weeks out. Not sure our new mid prodigy would be asked to play through it.

But we'll see.

That's surgery and upwards of 6-8 weeks out. Not sure our new mid prodigy would be asked to play through it.

But we'll see.
Depends on how bad and where the fracture is or if it's actually a fracture at all (bad sprain??). I had a small fracture in my scaphoid years ago playing footy but was able to tolerate the pain and kept playing. That's back when I was young and dumb and couldn't stand the though of missing out playing footy with my mates 😬. Jai is a huge part of the HFC future so I'm sure the right call will be made if it's really bad.

Didn't he hurt his wrist very early on in the season? Maybe even in the pre-season?
Yeah I remember it happening, he came back on.

If he is playing with an injury it seems strange that he has no strapping. Would have thought some level of support would be needed to apply compression and support a damaged wrist.

Considering we've seen the kid fire out 30+ metre handballs on both sides if this is the case this kid is ****ed up strong/doesn't feel pain unless this is some new injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back