Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

Has the size to be a monster forward who pinch hits in the ruck (think hawkins).
Currently a case of looks lik Tarzan, plays like Jane. Not sure if that's because of such limited exposure/lack of confidence, or if he's just one of those players that will never make it (there's plenty littered through league history)

I was harsh on him at the start of the season but to his credit he did improve towards the end of the year.

Still not sure how we can fit both him and Reeves into the one team though as neither seem to have the footy nous to play forward.

Still think he has scope to use his massive frame to his advantage in the seniors more though, he seems to to this effectively enough at VFL level.

Has the size to be a monster forward who pinch hits in the ruck (think hawkins).
Currently a case of looks lik Tarzan, plays like Jane. Not sure if that's because of such limited exposure/lack of confidence, or if he's just one of those players that will never make it (there's plenty littered through league history)
Doesn't have the footy nous to play as a forward. Freo supporters said as much last year.

If Meek can develop into a Robert Campbell type ruckman and pinch hit in the backline this will make me a lot more comfortable if Reeves goes down for any length of time.

Meek (203cm) is a smart guy. He knows that he will not be able to consistently beat experienced talls of the likes of Gawn (210), Witts (210), Street (211) or even our own Reeves (211) for the tap in the ruck. Halving the contest is his best bet (with zero frees). But he can beat them as an extra mid at stoppage much like Grundy, Mumford or even as Dewnior suggested, Robbie Campbell. And this is where Meek seems to focus his energy.

Last year, after the ruck contest had completed, watching Meek push-and-shove his way to get and then try to distribute the ball… only to get taken down, concerned me not one iota. I say he should keep trying it until he makes it. An extra trick or two (e.g. holding the ball high and hand passing as he is tackled) and he would change the game brilliantly.
Also, if he could add in a few legal bone-crunching low and fair tackles then that would be the icing on the cake …. with ~contested 3 marks around the ground.

IMO Meek was in the top 2 players in 2023 for a couple of games that the Hawks lost. That means a lot.

If we are looking for taps to advantage then Reeves is our man (top 2, I think, for the last 2 years).
But Meek will bring a different dynamic and I hope he hones it while improving his ruck-craft.

If Reeves and Chol are fit it is hard to see Meek starting in R1 in 2024.

But I hope he goes the full-Mumford at BoxHill and makes himself impossible to not be in the best 22

Meek (203cm) is a smart guy. He knows that he will not be able to consistently beat experienced talls of the likes of Gawn (210), Witts (210), Street (211) or even our own Reeves (211) for the tap in the ruck. Halving the contest is his best bet (with zero frees). But he can beat them as an extra mid at stoppage much like Grundy, Mumford or even as Dewnior suggested, Robbie Campbell. And this is where Meek seems to focus his energy.

Last year, after the ruck contest had completed, watching Meek push-and-shove his way to get and then try to distribute the ball… only to get taken down, concerned me not one iota. I say he should keep trying it until he makes it. An extra trick or two (e.g. holding the ball high and hand passing as he is tackled) and he would change the game brilliantly.
Also, if he could add in a few legal bone-crunching low and fair tackles then that would be the icing on the cake …. with ~contested 3 marks around the ground.

IMO Meek was in the top 2 players in 2023 for a couple of games that the Hawks lost. That means a lot.

If we are looking for taps to advantage then Reeves is our man (top 2, I think, for the last 2 years).
But Meek will bring a different dynamic and I hope he hones it while improving his ruck-craft.

If Reeves and Chol are fit it is hard to see Meek starting in R1 in 2024.

But I hope he goes the full-Mumford at BoxHill and makes himself impossible to not be in the best 22
I am with you on this, Alite. Old-fashioned ruck-rover role could suit Meek. But he will have to bring a lot more to his game to succeed in that role. If he can, he becomes an ultra big mid.

I am with you on this, Alite. Old-fashioned ruck-rover role could suit Meek. But he will have to bring a lot more to his game to succeed in that role. If he can, he becomes an ultra big mid.
A Shane Mumford type focus would be a handy

Doesn't have the footy nous to play as a forward. Freo supporters said as much last year.
When we traded for him, Port supporters told me that Impey would need to be played in the forward line, because his disposal was a liability.

He's being written off a little bit in here, but I see a 25-year-old ruckman with 30 games under his belt. Players improve.

I rate Meek but he’s not getting a game above Reeves and Chol, I reckon teams come hard for him at the end of the year if he’s not playing regular 1s footy

When we traded for him, Port supporters told me that Impey would need to be played in the forward line, because his disposal was a liability.

He's being written off a little bit in here, but I see a 25-year-old ruckman with 30 games under his belt. Players improve.
They do, but Meek showed zero forward craft when he rested in the forward line last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the other had, there may be a reason why he will be 26 at the start of next season and only played 30 odd games to date.

On the other had, there may be a reason why he will be 26 at the start of next season and only played 30 odd games to date.
On the other other hand, his last game saw him rack up 26 disposals, 3 goals, 4 tackles and 41 hitouts in the VFL. I think I'll allow myself a sprinkle of optimism.

Edit: worth noting that back in 2014 Ben McEvoy was a 25 year-old ruckman trying to get a game. He only made the gf side because of Ceglar's set shot kicking in the prelim.

Last edited:
On the other other hand, his last game saw him rack up 26 disposals, 3 goals, 4 tackles and 41 hitouts in the VFL. I think we can allow ourselves a sprinkle of optimism.

How many hands do we have?

He's certainly got the right athletic profile, which is what separates him from Reeves.

Reeves is so far ahead of Meek it’s not funny. Meeks ruck work at afl is very poor at times while Reeves is silver service. Meek would need to be an absolute gun around the ground to make up the gap but I just don’t see it.
If I’m one of the mods I know who i want rucking. Meek is a built like a fridge and can obviously play footy, just don’t think there’s enough that sets him apart to be number 1.

Reeves is so far ahead of Meek it’s not funny. Meeks ruck work at afl is very poor at times while Reeves is silver service. Meek would need to be an absolute gun around the ground to make up the gap but I just don’t see it.
If I’m one of the mods I know who i want rucking. Meek is a built like a fridge and can obviously play footy, just don’t think there’s enough that sets him apart to be number 1.
Reeves needs to influence the game around the ground. Then he will be a very good player and contributor.

Will be our first choice ruck for the rest of the season.

Still has aspects of his game to work on (marking) but his clearance work is actually very good for a big fella. Can see his confidence growing game on game.

If he can make it as a ruck will be great for the club as we won't have to worry about spending another list spot to chase another free agent ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

Back