Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a terrible argument, for all we know Wiz may not be in our next Premiership side. Conversely, Wingard may just be.

Do we also drop Gunston and Breust? How about Frost? Sicily? When exactly is our next Premiership? Who's in it?
We’re choosing between Wingard and Watson here… seems a pretty straight forward argument really…

Wingard won’t be there for our next likely premiership window - he only has another 1-2 seasons left…

Watson is our talented top pick that has just shown he’s too good for VFL level - he should definitely be part of our next premiership run and we need to get as many games as we can into him to fast track his development…

I woke up today a bit hungover in a time zone half a day behind and was still buzzing from the win against the Crows and I saw a bit of action on this thread and so it was the first one I opened and I was buzzing even more to see that the Wiz had gone berserk!

I wanted us to take him in the draft and nothing has changed my mind along the way.

He played a lot of games early when the team was struggling and yet still got off numerous shots at goal, now general confidence is up and we've had two plus 100 scores in a row if he comes in then I fancy him to really do some damage. I'm loving our forward line, who doesn't love Dear, but the small ball group of Moore, Ginni and Watson plus Hardwick is mouthwatering.

Absolute X factor.

Oppo defenders are going to be quivering in fear from him sooner rather than later.

Can't wait.

This is a terrible argument, for all we know Wiz may not be in our next Premiership side. Conversely, Wingard may just be.

Do we also drop Gunston and Breust? How about Frost? Sicily? When exactly is our next Premiership? Who's in it?
Agree, it's ridiculous to think that if Wingard plays next week he's suddenly going to retire before September. We don't know who will be in form come grand final day but with 4 months to go till we win our next premiership it could be any of them.

love the Wiz, hope he turns out to be a star.
Chad? already a star, dual AA, and if you think he's somehow lost it, go watch the end of season tapes before he got injured last year.... in particular have a look at that Collingwood game. The guy is an absolute gun.
Having said that, he might just need another week, or even two, at VFL level to get himself 100% confident the injury will stand up. The guy is 30 years old, and I'm sure he sees another two seasons at least after this year.
when he is ready, Sam will pick him, you can be certain of that.
as for this week, somebody will have a niggle, they always do, and there will be a spot for the Wiz. But with huge pressure now on small forward spots in the team, he will absolutely need to bring his A game this weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chad could have moved on as a delisted free agent to Collingwood if he wanted to. He was desperate to stay so yes it was media talk.

Chad is in the situation where his role as a small forward has a lot of internal competition ie Ginni, Watto, Moore etc. and he's 30. Given that he is coming off an ACL and if he is fit, I would offer him another 1 year contract. If Clarko (who loves Chad) or another team comes for him with 2 years with a trigger for a third, I would think about getting the best deal for the club and him. He wants to play footy and he got injured playing for us. We wouldn't stand in his way. He's only played 71 games with us so father-son-daughter is a pipe dream for us.

I know Gunston plays a different role from the others, however I still believe that we can only play two of Breust, Wingard and Gunston at the same time (potentially we can have one as the Sub if the other two start on the field).

In any case, Watson is simply a class above VFL. From now on, if the boy is fit, he plays in the 1's.

Chad is in the situation where his role as a small forward has a lot of internal competition ie Ginni, Watto, Moore etc. and he's 30. Given that he is coming off an ACL and if he is fit, I would offer him another 1 year contract. If Clarko (who loves Chad) or another team comes for him with 2 years with a trigger for a third, I would think about getting the best deal for the club and him. He wants to play footy and he got injured playing for us. We wouldn't stand in his way. He's only played 71 games with us so father-son-daughter is a pipe dream for us.
It was chads Achilles not ACL

Maybe the wiz plays further up the ground, Chad plays deep forward? I wouldn't be leaving Chad out if fit, I'd find a way to play both.

Probably rather it the other way around, with Wingard up the field playing a similar way to Ginnivan.
I'm worried that Chad will snap in half if he sees too much action.

The other aspect is that the wiz has voiced his preference to play further up the ground.

Box Hill clobbered the opposition on the weekend. I didn't see the game but the score suggests that it wasn't very strong. I reckon another week at BH would be in order.

In the first half, Essendon put in one of the worst performances I have ever seen at VFL level. They looked lost. Effort lifted second half. I did like how some of our players took full advantage, very professional game from us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back