Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

Who in the media was critical of our move up to draft Weddle?

Maybe I'm misremembering, but my impression was that it was received pretty well and seen as an ambitious move. Or maybe that was just us in here?
I recall a consensus that we overpaid, while we were calling for patience on this forum.

Effectively 27 (2022) + 26 (2023) + 47 (2023)

Out of interest the points calculator has that as the equivalent of pick 7, which is still a bargain for Weddle.

Not that any side would be trading those picks for pick 7 in a straight swap either.

One of the all time great posts, the longer it goes on the worst it looks
It's so idiotic.

Why did we take 'defender' Weddle when we already had 'defender' Day?

(Admittedly, at that stage, Day hadn't gone full time to the midfield, but it was pretty obvious that was where he'd end up)

And Weddle was only a defender because that's where the Chargers needed him most. He was obviously a proto-utility even then

I swear their only research was to look at the last team sheet...Day? Defender! Weddle? Defender! DGB? Defender!

(I guess one out of three aint bad)

The snippet left out my favourite bit, where they criticised us for saying we wanted a big bodied mid, but then we took only 188cm Mackenzie instead of the huge 190cm Ginbey..

D+!!!

I don't see the Goodes comparison at all. If he slides in studs first after taking a pot shot at someone's head (like in the 2014 GF), maybe I'll concede.

I was jut reading about him on the hawks insiders site.
I liked this snippet.

He proved himself by locking down opponents, but also looking dangerous on the rebound using his speed and power. His versatility was also something that appealed to coaches and recruiter alike, as Jepson went on to mention.

“He's a very capable athlete both from a power and an endurance perspective. His athleticism is probably biggest attribute, and his versatility. He won a game for us against Xavier where we were five goals down at three quarter time against Xavier and we threw him into the midfield he kicked three goals and pretty much won the game.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly a bit strange but he reminds me of will day. Someone who’s really tall, takes a good mark and moves quick with agility despite their height. Just doesn’t have day’s iq. Exact same height at 191cm.

Not as much running and bouncing the ball but intercept marking was superb yesterday. I think he drifted forward late in the game but couldn’t latch onto a scoring opportunity. His field kicking out of defence is accurate and composed, it defies his age and game tally, so impressive.

Went at 91% disposal efficiency, which given the pressure he was under at times is pretty phenomenal. Not bad for an athlete turned football :)

Weddle is closer to 195, and I don’t see the comparison at all.
Having stood next to Day recently he wouldn't be far off 195cm himself these days. I've seen pics of Weddle and Day standing next to each other and they look pretty much identical in height.

But yes they are very different players. As previously posted Weddle is very much like prime Kouta (a power athlete / runner who can play multiple positions) and Day is very much like a prime Hird (a super tough, one touch player who is incredibly composed with ball in hand).

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back