Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

Weddle completely disrespecting an absolute cooked Pittonet and waltzing past him was a highlight for me.

Just took a second to analyse the situation and absolutely burned him.

Weddle completely disrespecting an absolute cooked Pittonet and waltzing past him was a highlight for me.

Even after a bounce gone wrong.😁

Love his slalom running. Makes Oppo look like stationary cones

Seems to have a reliable shot for goal despite not having what I’d call a traditionally quality kicking style. Long may it continue!

What does he focus on (in terms of body development) this coming pre season? Biking up or more burst speed? [mention]sven_inc [/mention]will know more, but I can’t imagine he can do both at once, right?

Seems to have a reliable shot for goal despite not having what I’d call a traditionally quality kicking style. Long may it continue!

What does he focus on (in terms of body development) this coming pre season? Biking up or more burst speed? [mention]sven_inc [/mention]will know more, but I can’t imagine he can do both at once, right?
He's just about the first player I'd pick to line up for goal with a game on the line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily mentioned in his post match 3AW chat that Josh is 96 kilos. That’s beast size! I think a new position change will be the focus. HHF.

I think CHF/HFF in that Riewoldt/Pavlich roaming role is the highest and best use. Can pinch hit in the middle as well, be in ruck, mid or wing. He's a unicorn.
Agreed.
Might take another year, even two, but I see him as AA Half Forward* for the next decade.

Probably won't provide the same structural target that Roo or Pav (or even Mitch Lewis) provided but his pace/tank is unstoppable - we need to play him in a way that optimises this.

I liked the run in the third which ended in the goal salute. He took off from the opposite wing, Kennedy sees him go and very reluctantly follows in his wake.

actually, he took off from the back pocket, almost the goal square. I was watching it unfold, and ribbing my Carlton mate that Kennedy just didn't have the tank or the heart to keep up with him. When he took off, you could see Kennedy let out a huge sigh. lol

Agreed.
Might take another year, even two, but I see him as AA Half Forward* for the next decade.

Probably won't provide the same structural target that Roo or Pav (or even Mitch Lewis) provided but his pace/tank is unstoppable - we need to play him in a way that optimises this.
Agree. I think he could play the role in a way nobody has before. Just as Bud played key forward in a way nobody had before him. Weddle doesn't have Bud's natural or freakish goalscoring ability and I see him more as a roaming half forward than forward 50 player.

Reckon it's fair to say he's now just enough close to being our best/most important player. Defensive, running, marking, goal kicking beast

Last edited:
Reckon it's fair to say he's now just enough close to being our best/most important player. Defensive, running, marking, goal kicking beast

He's definitely our Mr. Fixit in a hybrid Pavlich/Sean Burgoyne kind of way.

You can put him where you want to make a difference and be pretty confident it's going to happen.

He's not been tried out as a centre square mid yet, but you suspect that will come if someone ever really starts to get on top of us in there and plans a) b) and c) have failed.

He’s good, but not at that level yet. Sicily, Day, Jai, Scrimshaw, Frost, Meek would be some of just a few who are 'more important'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back