Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 23, Sam Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone who’s watched training comment on his kicking? For a guy who’s explosive at times he appeared to struggle for distance on his kicks.

If Hardwick is forward expect we’re going for a smallish forward line. Lewis + Chol as 2nd forward/ruck + 4/5 smaller types. Breust, Moore, Hardwick, ginnivan + say Watson/butler for last spot.

SB is a serious tackling machine.
Have I got that correct?

If so, maybe he could help to stop the oppo running the ball out of our forward line so easily.
In an interview with Ch7 Moore did mention the idea that we could play a bit of small ball with the upcoming season. This might be the way to go in wet weather games.

Can anyone who’s watched training comment on his kicking? For a guy who’s explosive at times he appeared to struggle for distance on his kicks.

If Hardwick is forward expect we’re going for a smallish forward line. Lewis + Chol as 2nd forward/ruck + 4/5 smaller types. Breust, Moore, Hardwick, ginnivan + say Watson/butler for last spot.
Gut tells me Hardwick still plays back. Will be interesting to watch

In an interview with Ch7 Moore did mention the idea that we could play a bit of small ball with the upcoming season. This might be the way to go in wet weather games.

I think it's the way to go in general for modern footy.

The Bulldogs and Tigers won their premierships by being the first movers to small ball, but they and most of the league moved away from it despite the results.

I hope we really lean into it this year.

The Bulldogs and Tigers won their premierships by being the first movers to small ball, but they and most of the league moved away from it despite the results.

I much rather our Hawks style of 2013/14/15 and having both tall and smalls. If one’s having an of day the others are there waiting.

We had Buddy and Roughy for our talls. A Poppy and Rioli as our speedy small forwards. Whom was complimented by Bruest!

Last edited:
I much rather our Hawks style of 2013/14/15 and having both tall and smalls. If one’s having an of day the others are there waiting.

We had Buddy and Roughy for our talks. A Poppy and Rioli as our speedy small forwards. Whom was complimented by Bruest!
That forward line worked so well as we had 3 of the top 5 pressure forwards in the league and 1 of those being just about the best pressure forwards ever.

That’s what enabled us to play as tall as we did.

Nothing wrong with playing an extra small or two especially when apart from Lewis our talls really aren’t banging the door down.

That forward line worked so well as we had 3 of the top 5 pressure forwards in the league and 1 of those being just about the best pressure forwards ever.

That’s what enabled us to play as tall as we did.

Nothing wrong with playing an extra small or two especially when apart from Lewis our talls really aren’t banging the door down.

Not to mention the two talls were all time in terms of their athleticism. Whilst not tackling machines, Buddy and Rough were not witches hats

The league saw this happen...

That's a bit rough. He has had his injury issues got a clean run at it this year and has given himself every chance to succeed.
I am impressed, but I'm also astounded at the improvement.

Maginness is elite.
We were talking about Finn's workrate being the key weapon that rendered the best midfielders in the competition useless.
Now a guy who was sometimes good at Box Hill is suddenly in his class as a runner.
Incredible improvement.

If Butler becomes the kind of high-workrate half forward/outside mid that he promises, he could well be on track to have a significant season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am impressed, but I'm also astounded at the improvement.

Maginness is elite.
We were talking about Finn's workrate being the key weapon that rendered the best midfielders in the competition useless.
Now a guy who was sometimes good at Box Hill is suddenly in his class as a runner.
Incredible improvement.

If Butler becomes the kind of high-workrate half forward/outside mid that he promises, he could well be on track to have a significant season.
Not to diminish Butler's time trial result, but 4x1km is different to what happens over the course of the 12-14km that players regularly run during games, let alone the 15-17km covered by the best runners.

Not to diminish Butler's time trial result, but 4x1km is different to what happens over the course of the 12-14km that players regularly run during games, let alone the 15-17km covered by the best runners.
Butler has become one of our fittest no one can diminish what he has done this pre season. He has set himself to succeed. Full credit to him. His football now needs to match his fitness. They will have another run after coming back from xmas

Breust is nearing the end of his career. I think there’s room to play Ginnivan, Butler & Watson as the three small forwards.
Reality is that Bruest is losing his natural attacking awareness and capability. Very natural outcome. I too hope OSullivan can be in the small forward mix going forward.

Reality is that Bruest is losing his natural attacking awareness and capability. Very natural outcome. I too hope OSullivan can be in the small forward mix going forward.

I had that feeling last year in the first month or so that he was struggling. But I do wonder how hard it was for the smalls with Greene and Meek as our key forwards.... It didn't seem a coincidence that all of Breust, CMac, and Moore got into much better form when Lewis and later on Ryan came into the side. Breust was even in AA contention by end of year. I reckon Breust roaming around with so much more support both in the air and with small forwards could see him stay pretty dangerous for another year.

I had that feeling last year in the first month or so that he was struggling. But I do wonder how hard it was for the smalls with Greene and Meek as our key forwards.... It didn't seem a coincidence that all of Breust, CMac, and Moore got into much better form when Lewis and later on Ryan came into the side. Breust was even in AA contention by end of year. I reckon Breust roaming around with so much more support both in the air and with small forwards could see him stay pretty dangerous for another year.
He was a one man show when Lewis went down.
Will relish the support, and thrive this year.

We had Buddy and Roughy for our talls. A Poppy and Rioli as our speedy small forwards. Whom was complimented by Bruest!
Gunston says hi!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back