Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 23, Sam Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad luck for Sam Butler while he was trying to establish some form.

If his leg is broken then it means that the Hawks get a pick in the Mid Season Draft.

Shocking luck and his recent form will make the recovery extremely hard, hope he can get through it well. That will be a two year journey back.

Shocking luck and his recent form will make the recovery extremely hard, hope he can get through it well. That will be a two year journey back.
Bones get very good blood supply so can heal very quickly providing the break was clean. He'll lose muscle mass in his leg given he won't be using it for 2-3 months so that will add to the rehab time, but I would expect he'll be right for the start of preseason providing he gets the clean break and there aren't any complications with his surgery or recovery from it.

I can only imagine how devastating an injury like this must be for a young bloke trying to take that next step in his footy career. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bones get very good blood supply so can heal very quickly providing the break was clean. He'll lose muscle mass in his leg given he won't be using it for 2-3 months so that will add to the rehab time, but I would expect he'll be right for the start of preseason providing he gets the clean break and there aren't any complications with his surgery or recovery from it.
It should be an 18 month recovery if you listen to players that have broken their legs.

It should be an 18 month recovery if you listen to players that have broken their legs.
At minimum, still the fitness to build back into the leg to prevent soft tissue injuries, fitness base to build back into the legs for high intensity and the general mental hurdles. 2026 round 1 is realistic.

(Fortunately he is young and coming off a strong pre season which will be significant in recover)

Tom Mitchell is the only one I'm really familiar with. Did his in preseason and was ready to go for the following preseason and played every preseason and H&A game that year. Key thing was that his break was clean and there weren't any complications.

Butler is still a developing player though and doesn't have the same level of conditioning so I'm not expecting he'll be lining up in 12 months time. But I'm also not writing him off until season 2026 either. That said, we still don't know the extent of the break or even how the surgery went.

Tom Mitchell is the only one I'm really familiar with. Did his in preseason and was ready to go for the following preseason and played every preseason and H&A game that year. Key thing was that his break was clean and there weren't any complications.

Butler is still a developing player though and doesn't have the same level of conditioning so I'm not expecting he'll be lining up in 12 months time. But I'm also not writing him off until season 2026 either. That said, we still don't know the extent of the break or even how the surgery went.
Nathan Brown said he should have stayed out for another six months. And I think that there were a couple after that backed him up. But not sure how clean his break was.

Nathan Brown said he should have stayed out for another six months. And I think that there were a couple after that backed him up. But not sure how clean his break was.
Michael Barlow was one that struggled to recover properly, always had pain in that leg afterwards.
Sliding in to contest the ball was banned cos of one between north & Sydney, but I can't remember the player who suffered the injury.

Regardless, like everyone else, hope he makes a speedy and full recovery.

Michael Barlow was one that struggled to recover properly, always had pain in that leg afterwards.
Sliding in to contest the ball was banned cos of one between north & Sydney, but I can't remember the player who suffered the injury.

Regardless, like everyone else, hope he makes a speedy and full recovery.
That was Gary Rohan. Unfortunately he lost the ability to play well against anyone but us for years after that.

There was one from the WAFL that was absolutely horrific...I think a player with the surname "Graham"

Nathan Brown’s one was gruesome. You could see the shattered bone poking through the sock. Still grosses me out thinking about it.

Wish Buts the best with his recovery, no one deserves injuries, especially ones like this that are so horrific.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back