Player Watch #42 Mykelti Lefau

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interesting watch what his role becomes if Lynch and Balta come back and Balta stays forward.

That's 3 marking targets and although Balta and Lefau are more mobile, they are still marking forwards and not contributing a whole heap at ground level so the structure will be interesting.
are you underselling their athleticism? I think Balta and Lefau could tackle and chase to a pretty high level if required?

Very interesting watch what his role becomes if Lynch and Balta come back and Balta stays forward.

That's 3 marking targets and although Balta and Lefau are more mobile, they are still marking forwards and not contributing a whole heap at ground level so the structure will be interesting.

Pretty sure Lefau was playing midfield at times last year so would be very keen to see him retained in the side playing high half forward when Lynch & Balta return. It means he can push up the ground with Balta as marking options and we could play Lynch deep so he doesn't have the wear and tear of running so much.

are you underselling their athleticism? I think Balta and Lefau could tackle and chase to a pretty high level if required?
Probably not to the same level that mids/smalls can, they are athletic but they're probably not pressuring as highly or as dangerous at ground level as others can be

He may have been a bit slow but he knew how to get the ball and was very smart.
Agree Sol, but his decline was pretty rapid and very conspicuous.

Then Cads tried to compensate for his downturn in pace and magic with some misplaced aggression, and ultimately became a liability with frees and 50's towards the end.

Will never forget or diminish his massive contribution to our 2017 and 2019 flags though.

Plus Balta offers variety as the swingman.

Let’s make this bloke captain!
season 7 episode 23 GIF

Chill brother

FFS - does he look like Lynch? Or Jack?

He is 25. Does he ever look like he could kick 40 goals in a season? or even 30?

Need to grow up mate, you don't need to reply to every comment that doesn't hit your level of obsession with just a one word childish remark. You can just choose to not reply

Last edited:
He has plenty of AFL traits. Strong hands, quick, big leap, hard as nails, fast, nimble and 195cm. He has enough traits to cause real damage, but without a midfield that is hard to do.

Sure. but whats his ceiling?

Get every key forward at his size, look at what they were doing at 24-26 & then let me know where Lefau sits on that list

He is the same size as Jack & 26. By the time Jack was his age he had already kicked 400 goals at AFL Level & won 2 Colemans. Cameron had kicked about the same. Larkey had kicked around 210. Hogan etc etc etc

You will find his name in the bottom 30%. That's where he is at 26 which is not far of his peak age. I like him, he has a go - but he is not the quality of player we need. He is filling a role as a mature recruit as we chose not to target anyone his size or role for 6 years. As long as he is a walk-in start for the club, we are going to be well down the ladder.

People need to be realistic, he is going to have a career like Stuart Edwards, but he is going to have it from 26-28, not 19-23.

For those were not old enough to remember Edwards
1715086686808.png

I think he deserves his spot and is playing well, but ultimately we need to be looking to replace him to be going up the ladder

Also just watched the highlights on the clubs website. Amazing what can happen when we are pin point and lower the eyes when entering 50. Lefau leads hard and with the great hairdo he is hard to miss.

Also I am sure that the Aus Govt after Port Arthur initiated a gun buyback scheme but they have clearly missed Lefau because he is packing heat with those arms.
So Am I ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is 25. Does he ever look like he could kick 40 goals in a season? or even 30?

Need to grow up mate, you don't need to reply to every comment that doesn't hit your level of obsession with just a one word childish remark. You can just choose to not reply
6 Games
9 Goals
= 1,5 average

23 games = 35 goals

And thats with no experience at the level in a injury riddled team with B grade VFL midfield

Yeah he can kick 30 goals and if you cant see that get a new doctor

Get every key forward at his size, look at what they were doing at 24-26 & then let me know where Lefau sits on that list

He is the same size as Jack & 26. By the time Jack was his age he had already kicked 400 goals at AFL Level & won 2 Colemans. Cameron had kicked about the same. Larkey had kicked around 210. Hogan etc etc etc

You will find his name in the bottom 30%. That's where he is at 26 which is not far of his peak age. I like him, he has a go - but he is not the quality of player we need. He is filling a role as a mature recruit as we chose not to target anyone his size or role for 6 years. As long as he is a walk-in start for the club, we are going to be well down the ladder.

People need to be realistic, he is going to have a career like Stuart Edwards, but he is going to have it from 26-28, not 19-23.

View attachment 1982481

I think he deserves his spot and is playing well, but ultimately we need to be looking to replace him to be going up the ladder
Played 6 games... transferred from rugby, still learning AFL forward craft, but yet still kicking goals. This guy is one of the few shinning lights this year

What’s great about him is he’s ready to play the ground balls and doesn’t panic if he’s tackled or a tackler is infront of him.
He can take a pack mark
Can lead and mark
Can score from 1v1 ground balls
At 6”5 that’s three times a potentially better outcome than what Kosi has to offer.
Also, everything that Kosi does is a textbook move done at about 7 outve 10.
Mykelti is more unpredictable, like watching Waterman against Young,
Young got outplayed a lot before the ball got there worried about what Waterman was going to do.
Defenders aren’t sure about him
and don’t know whether to watch him or the ball.
Kosi’s defender and any defender nearby always knows what he’s going to do.

Mykelti isn’t a Posiadley but he could easily play 100+ games and kick 20-30 a year.
Best #42 since Bongs Lloyd.

He’s a win for the selectors

Yes. He is averaging 1.5 goals a game so if this continues for this year he will kick 29 and over a full season of 23 games would kick 35.

That's assuming he has peaked as a key forward after 9 games and key forwards never improve 🙄

View attachment 1982481

I think he deserves his spot and is playing well, but ultimately we need to be looking to replace ⁷him to be going up the ladder
You're comparing apples with zebras. You've got some weird takes on things but this one is up there with the weirdest.

Where was Brody Mihocek when he was 25? Not playing AFL that's for sure. And he's managed to win Collingwoods goal kicking 5 times since. He even won a flag playing alongside another guy who didn't debut until he was older than Lefau. How about you compare him with them? Both those guys have played well over 100 games of footy at the top level. That's more than what most players drafted at 18 will achieve. Especially KPP. Just take a look through our history of drafting KPP as a starting point.

What he's managed to do so far is nothing short of remarkable. And he doesn't strike me as someone who will rest on their laurels. The sky is the limit as far as I'm concerned.

How you've managed to turn one of the few positives in our season into a negative is astounding.

View attachment 1982481

Name another 195cm key forward who debuted at age 25 and was averaging 1.5 goals a game after 9 games. And if there is a person, did they get better or worse.

Please shutup :)

Name another 195cm key forward who debuted at age 25 and was averaging 1.5 goals a game after 9 games. And if there is a person, did they get better or worse.
Who even cares if he gets better or worse
I know it’s not the greatest season for us but people get so lost trying to think 3 or 5 seasons ahead they forgot to enjoy what is going on right now

He’s a fantastic young talent and playing some great footy with some great highlights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back