Player Watch #42 Mykelti Lefau

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a nice moment at one stage where he shrugged a few tacklers easily on the wing was very impressive

But still super green especially in terms of that general positioning and how to use his body and strength to protect the ball drop when under it

Ideally should still be in the vfl but hopefully this exposure helps supercharge his development

he’s better than kosi - in fact my mother would be.
Don’t think Kozi is that bad but he’s a very different type of key forward to what we are used to and our players don’t really play to his advantage

He’s a classic lead into space type that needs fast low balls to play to his advantage instead of high up and unders that favors guys who play behind the defender who like to bash and crash or go high for overhead marks

More of your Josh Kennedy type over your Jack or Lynch types

Don’t think Kozi is that bad but he’s a very different type of key forward to what we are used to and our players don’t really play to his advantage

He’s a classic lead into space type that needs fast low balls to play to his advantage instead of high up and unders that favors guys who play behind the defender who like to bash and crash or go high for overhead marks
so what your saying is he has limitations. he’s got plenty. i wish bauer was available.

so what your saying is he has limitations. he’s got plenty. i wish bauer was available.
Bauer plays in a similar way tbh i think that’s why they started playing him in the backline last year

he’s a much more intelligent capable footballer than kosi mate.
I dunno man
I like him but I have him on about par with Kozi tbh both very similar types imo

Don’t think either of them will be the answer to any of our real issues in terms of forwards

Yeah he has improved/increased his aggression since his debut, but still could do more damage I reckon. You can see when he nails those tackles that he is hurting blokes, just need to see more of it. He needs to be a wrecking ball.
which he was doing at VFL level, was ironing out and fending off blokes, flying for marks and crashing packs. may be a confidence thing, he has got better every week but needs to get angry. especially in a 1 on 1 contest, doesn't use his body at all.

which he was doing at VFL level, was ironing out and fending off blokes, flying for marks and crashing packs. may be a confidence thing, he has got better every week but needs to get angry. especially in a 1 on 1 contest, doesn't use his body at all.
His opponent steps around him and takes an easy mark way too often.

was towelled up in the second half by his lack of knowledge of where to go and what to do

outpointed/outbustled/outsmarted at least 5 times.

Name me a 190cm+ forward who comes in to a team and immediately looks comfortable at the level? For every one you can name, I could name 10 that don’t. The expectations on him are ludicrous.

There are 58 KPF’s to have played 2+ games this year. Here is where Lefau sits:

SI’s: 37th.
SI%: 17.4% (37th)
Goals: 38th
Goal assists: 6th
Pressure acts: 17th
Tackles: 18th
Disposals: 56th
Marks: 54th
Player rating: 37th

This list of 58 includes everyone regardless of career game tally. Lefau is a 3-game player.

I don’t know if he’ll end up being good, bad or indifferent. But he’s performing to the average if not above for ANY 3-game KPF, particularly as he’s in a bottom 4 team with limited help around him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He needs to Lynch and Balta to be at his best. How are people carrying on that he didnt perform as the no1 or 2 KPF FFS

I don’t think he should travel west. McGovern and Barrass will destroy him and Kosi. Need more height. Lefau should be the 3rd tall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name me a 190cm+ forward who comes in to a team and immediately looks comfortable at the level? For every one you can name, I could name 10 that don’t. The expectations on him are ludicrous.

There are 58 KPF’s to have played 2+ games this year. Here is where Lefau sits:

SI’s: 37th.
SI%: 17.4% (37th)
Goals: 38th
Goal assists: 6th
Pressure acts: 17th
Tackles: 18th
Disposals: 56th
Marks: 54th
Player rating: 37th

This list of 58 includes everyone regardless of career game tally. Lefau is a 3-game player.

I don’t know if he’ll end up being good, bad or indifferent. But he’s performing to the average if not above for ANY 3-game KPF, particularly as he’s in a bottom 4 team with limited help around him.

Stats mean **** all though.

Surely at both stages of their careers, Samson Ryan should be playing ahead of Lefau, especially with the predicament we are in. We are asking so much of Lefau who isn’t ready for it. I don’t think anyone is bashing him, it’s more he’s out of his depth and of course it’s not his fault, he’s doing okay for someone who just got on the list, but send him back to the VFL

Surely at both stages of their careers, Samson Ryan should be playing ahead of Lefau, especially with the predicament we are in. We are asking so much of Lefau who isn’t ready for it. I don’t think anyone is bashing him, it’s more he’s out of his depth and of course it’s not his fault, he’s doing okay for someone who just got on the list, but send him back to the VFL
ryan needs to play ahead of kosi

Had a nice moment at one stage where he shrugged a few tacklers easily on the wing was very impressive

But still super green especially in terms of that general positioning and how to use his body and strength to protect the ball drop when under it

Ideally should still be in the vfl but hopefully this exposure helps supercharge his development
Stays in until at least Balta's return ... let's see if he can find his feet by then

I trust my eyes and my football knowledge 100 times more than your stats

I saw it five times at least where's Saints defenders made him look very very ordinary I'm not having a go at the kid he is still learning and he is offering something I'm just saying what I saw.

your essay on statistics mean nothing when it's a one on battle with about 20 minutes to go in a tight game and the kid came up short several times.

if you can't acknowledge that fact, then it's your problem not mine.

I don’t think he should travel west. McGovern and Barrass will destroy him and Kosi. Need more height. Lefau should be the 3rd tall

I would keep him in for West Coast but we need to bring in another tall to help Kozi & Lefau otherwise yes, McGovern & Barrass will destroy them both.

I would be very tempted to bring in Ryan, West Coast's biggest weakness is their rucks atm. Ryan & Nank could expose them and it also would add extra height up forward when Nank is doing most of the ruck work.

Last edited:
I would keep him in for West Coast but we need to bring in another tall to help Kozi & Lefau otherwise yes, McGovern & Barrass will destroy them both.

I would be very tempted to bring in Ryan, West Coast's biggest weakness is their rucks atm. Ryan & Nank could expose them and it also would add extra height up forward when Nank is doing most of the ruck work.
Bailey Williams is hugely under rated IMO. Nothing flashy, but gets to work. Plays a bit like Nank.

But if Lefau plays, we still only have 1 KPF.
He can atleast half some contests with the KPD's, the smalls likely wont half any

we are asking a tweener to play above his height, makes less sense to ask a small

Just my take and its not like any other forwards of any height are banging the door down and we can affrord lumbering types to take the spots of faster types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back