Welcome to the Bulldogs Sam Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Ridiculous that it’s even a rule and surprised it hasn’t come to the fore before now. Toby Greene obviously got suspended in his first year don't think he was favourite (can’t totally remember, but it was the year Talia won). Not sure if there is any other cases.

Wilson has probably had the best season of the rest of the eligible players. Wardlaw has a higher ceiling and guessing the bookies are expecting him to finish the year strongest. Who really wants to win though when everyone knows you’re actually third.

Agree, don't need to tell a Bulldogs fan that (Taylor > Bont). I find it pretty ridiculous that Darcy was even eligible given he is in his 3rd year and played matches in both previous seasons.
If they didn’t have eligibility span multiple years then it’d be another midfielders award as it’s very uncommon for key position players to perform at the same level as midfielders or smalls in their first seasons.

2 just seems excessive when there was minimal contact to the back of the head. Nothing to lose challenging it yeah?

Ridiculous that it’s even a rule and surprised it hasn’t come to the fore before now. Toby Greene obviously got suspended in his first year don't think he was favourite (can’t totally remember, but it was the year Talia won). Not sure if there is any other cases.

Wilson has probably had the best season of the rest of the eligible players. Wardlaw has a higher ceiling and guessing the bookies are expecting him to finish the year strongest. Who really wants to win though when everyone knows you’re actually third.
It has come to the fore before now. Corey McKernan polled the most votes for it in his year but missed out due to suspension (and ironically did it again a few years later with the Brownlow).
If they didn’t have eligibility span multiple years then it’d be another midfielders award as it’s very uncommon for key position players to perform at the same level as midfielders or smalls in their first seasons.
I don't think it potentially becoming a midfielder's award has anything to do with it, more just to allow players a chance in their first 'full' season (be it due to injury or form). Darcy managed games in both 2022 and 2023, in my opinion he shouldn't have been eligible alongside first year players regardless of their position but the rules allow it.

Just another reason why it's difficult to take the award seriously at all. Not that it matters.

Last edited:
It has come to the fore before now. Corey McKernan polled the most votes for it in his year but missed out due to suspension (and ironically did it again a few years later with the Brownlow).

Wow! Hadn’t heard of this, was well before my time

Surprised it hasn’t happened in recent seasons though when you literally get suspensions for anything (see Rhylee Wests season)

Wow! Hadn’t heard of this, was well before my time

Surprised it hasn’t happened in recent seasons though when you literally get suspensions for anything (see Rhylee Wests season)
Given the threshold for suspensions has significantly reduced, I think they should remove it as a criteria from RS and the Brownlow. Short of an 'intentional' grading, at least, which are rare.

Given the threshold for suspensions has significantly reduced, I think they should remove it as a criteria from RS and the Brownlow. Short of an 'intentional' grading, at least, which are rare.

Agreed

Although I’m not sure why it is in the criteria for rising star anyway. Brownlow at least pretends to be a fairest and best award

True, but that line of thinking is nowhere to be seen in the way Brownlows are handed out.

I deal with it more easily if I just accept that the RS is a marketing device for NAB (or whoever offers the AFL more $$) and as such is meaningless in terms of footy silverware.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me of pre-injury Patton in terms of potential physical dominance and mobility across the ground.
Patton was a stiff compared to Sam. No one his size is doing smothers, gathering the ball off the deck and kicking with the opposite foot.

Just a shame he won’t play for almost a month as our bye is coming up too.

Tbh I think it was worth the suspension to see one of our players show a bit of aggression for once. The big men set the standards in terms or physicality, which is my biggest criticism of English.
Speaking of suspensions Scrag, you've obviously been a very naughty boy ..... or in true Bulldog tradition, been treated very harshly by the judiciary. I'm presuming that your transgression was assessed as intentional and graded high impact with an outcome of causing serious injury to someone's feelings🤣. I hope they're doing well.

Last edited:
Pre-injury Patton was definitely not a stiff lol
I mean he in comparison to the way Darcy moves he was stiff. Patton was a traditional strong forward, never done the stuff Darcy has shown he can do below his knees.

Can’t wait for people to call for an overhaul of the father son system 😂
Absolutely nothing wrong with it for the last 3 years while Naicos has been slowly but surely building his resume for a top 5 player in the comp with the Pies using picks 38, 40, 42 & 44 to draft him at 4 (never mind the fact it was blatantly ****ing obvious he was the best player in the draft), but as soon as Darcy pops his head up to showing some potential the fact we used 34, 42, 43, 44 & 45 to get him at 2 is god damn outrageous and we simply MUST stop allowing these welfare clubs these ridiculous advantages.

Patton was a stiff compared to Sam. No one his size is doing smothers, gathering the ball off the deck and kicking with the opposite foot.

Just a shame he won’t play for almost a month as our bye is coming up too.
Maybe the 3 weeks between games at this point in the season, given his injury record and extreme, still maturing physique is a blessing in disguise.

Having him fresh in a few weeks will be exciting times.

I don't think he's anything lik Patton. Patton reminded me more of Tom Hawkins
What do you liken a unicorn to? A horse? A zebra? A narwhal? That's the problem.

No modern day comparison is going to work well, but if I had to choose someone I'd hesitantly say the King brothers. But that doesn't really do him justice either.

The whole "plays like ..." obsession sort of annoys me. It's the whole overthinking, over-analysing mentality associated with modern AFL commentary. I'd rather just see how it unfolds. Perhaps he'll develop into something we haven't seen before. After all, Bont has been like that.

What do you liken a unicorn to? A horse? A zebra? A narwhal? That's the problem.

No modern day comparison is going to work well, but if I had to choose someone I'd hesitantly say the King brothers. But that doesn't really do him justice either.

The whole "plays like ..." obsession sort of annoys me. It's the whole overthinking, over-analysing mentality associated with modern AFL commentary. I'd rather just see how it unfolds. Perhaps he'll develop into something we haven't seen before. After all, Bont has been like that.

Bont plays a lot like Kouta ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Bulldogs Sam Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back