Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Fairfax journo Rohan Connolly had a shot at the best 5 home & away wins:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/west-coasts-five-best-home-and-away-wins-20160107-gm1fri.html
1. Geelong v West Coast (Round 10, 2006, Kardinia Park)
2. West Coast v Brisbane (Round 5, 2002, Subiaco)
3. Hawthorn v West Coast (Round 7, 1991, Princes Park)
4. Sydney v West Coast (Round 1, 2007, Telstra Stadium)
5. West Coast v Richmond (Round 1, 1987, Subiaco)

The #1 selection was more 'a line in the sand' game that helped fire the Cats from acceptance of near enough to success by the same playing group.

Round 12 2002 vs Carlton at Optus Oval.

Had not won an away game for 14-15 months. Carlton beat us up by more than 100 points nearly exactly a year before at the same ground.

Behind in the last quarter and it always looked like Carlton was going to run away with it. Up to then the Eagles teams would have rolled over away from home but they kept coming back. From memory Merenda kicked a miracle goal from the boundary in one of his last games. Then a young Adam Hunter has a set shot from 55m at the 30+ minute mark. The commentators and every Eagles fan at the ground or at home screaming at him to pass the ball to someone closer. Goes back with confidence and slots it.

Carlton were shit that year but it was the first game that the new generation stood up and took control of the team. 6 future premiership players under 21 played including Lynch on debut (Judd, Kerr, Hunter, Cox, Embley were the others under 21 with Glass who was 21).

i wouldnt say this would be top 5 ever but our win against power last year would be close to our best home and away wins in the last 5 years.
Best for me in the 2010s is the two wins at home v Cats in 2011/12

Best for me in the 2010s is the two wins at home v Cats in 2011/12
yeah i would have the 2011 win as the best and probably the power win as second for me. The power win showed us how good we are and silenced all the critics.

Our win against crows might not be significant to other but i believe it was a turning point for the playing group and it showed a few things. we were given no chance of winning the game and after crows kicked 4 unanswered goals, it was expected us to get flogged. But i believe it was then and there that every thing fell into place and we marched home for a great win. After that win, i had a hunch that we will have a positive impact in 2015 and that Gaff will be one of best players in 2015. In the end i believe that was the making of this current side.

Last edited:
Sydney in 07 probably gets the nod as my favourite H/A game because I was there.

These games come to mind from the 2010's:

Essendon, 2010 (LeCras game)
Western Bulldogs, 2011 (123 points, JK 10)
Carlton and Geelong, 2011 (in consecutive weeks)
Norf, 2012 (Cox in Hobart)
Norf, 2013 (Naitanui mark)
Adelaide, 2014
Port Adelaide, 2015
Richmond, 2015

Sydney in 07 probably gets the nod as my favourite H/A game because I was there.

These games come to mind from the 2010's:

Essendon, 2010 (LeCras game)
Western Bulldogs, 2011 (123 points, JK 10)
Carlton and Geelong, 2011 (in consecutive weeks)
Norf, 2013 (Naitanui mark)
Adelaide, 2014
Port Adelaide, 2015
Richmond, 2015

Coxy at his brilliant best .... :thumbsu:

i wouldnt say this would be top 5 ever but our win against power last year would be close to our best home and away wins in the last 5 years.

That one was definitely something special - I was standing in a big group of Eagles supporters on the hill and we were all going nuts afterwards. Felt like a great display of our future too with Gov, Duggan, Shuey, Gaff all playing awesome.

1992 After loosing the 91 flag to Hawthorne we faced them at subi in a final. Loose this and all was lost. After getting off to a bad start we got past them and then there was no team that stood between us and our first flag, i enjoyed that game as much as the GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah good post. I agree it was great at the time (and still a good one to re-watch) but Port's relative demise in 2015 seems to have mitigated the value of that win for some.

Over the last five years as you say, I would definitely count it as highly significant due to the belief it seemed to engender in the team. It consolidated the wins against Brisbane and GWS after our flogging in the first derby. The value of that shouldn't be underestimated as we head into our 2016 (similar to the win against Richmond at the 'G on a Friday night - a rebound away win after losing to North in Tasmania).

The second derby win is in my personal favourites of all time primarily because I was there among the Freo members and I expected us to lose (thus expecting to be relatively quiet), but we never really looked back after the great start. I was loud and annoyed a few purples to boot while the boys drew their own line in the sand against Freo's recent derby dominance.

Like their list - that comeback game v Geelong was something else and probably deserves top billing (though we seemed lazy in the first half, the response spoke for itself).

Last edited:
Round 12 2002 vs Carlton at Optus Oval.

Had not won an away game for 14-15 months. Carlton beat us up by more than 100 points nearly exactly a year before at the same ground.

Behind in the last quarter and it always looked like Carlton was going to run away with it. Up to then the Eagles teams would have rolled over away from home but they kept coming back. From memory Merenda kicked a miracle goal from the boundary in one of his last games. Then a young Adam Hunter has a set shot from 55m at the 30+ minute mark. The commentators and every Eagles fan at the ground or at home screaming at him to pass the ball to someone closer. Goes back with confidence and slots it.

Carlton were shit that year but it was the first game that the new generation stood up and took control of the team. 6 future premiership players under 21 played including Lynch on debut (Judd, Kerr, Hunter, Cox, Embley were the others under 21 with Glass who was 21).

That was my first game back after living overseas most of the 90s. Went with Carlton girlfriend, her family and was the lone Eagle right behind the Carlton goals. On my feet when Lynch snapped his first goal. Also memorable because there were so few Eagles fans, one of the good things about living in Melbourne has been seeing that support grow steadily over the years.

The list is about right - have that Geelong game and enjoy watching the whole thing. The hubris! That was when I knew we were going to win the Premiership when we could outrun any team.

Round 10, 1998 vs Bulldogs was pretty memorable for me.
WB kicked 8 goals to 0 in the 1st quarter, we reversed that in the 2nd term.
Glad that the 1st derby match wasn't included like a lot of other lists.
That one was memorable for me too as that was the first game I saw the Eagles live.

Round 10, 1998 vs Bulldogs was pretty memorable for me.
WB kicked 8 goals to 0 in the 1st quarter, we reversed that in the 2nd term.
Glad that the 1st derby match wasn't included like a lot of other lists.
That one was memorable for me too as that was the first game I saw the Eagles live.
I was at that game too. Even though I saw it as a 14 year old I remember it quite well. Jacko did his knee in that game too didn't he?

2006, Round 16 - 82 point victory over the Crows was a turning point and significant in winning the flag. Crows at that stage were dominant and flag favorites. Our form was scratchy, dropping games against the Bulldogs and Collingwood.

We came flying out of the blocks and totally overawed the Crowbots with run and handball. Amazing skills and sublime midfield display.

The North 2013 game at home the crowd that night was amazing was buzzing for hours after that game. The build up In Bigfooty probably helped as well as the meltdown from the north board

Eagles v Melbourne in *insert year and round here* was awesome

R17, 1987 vs Carlton
R18, 1987 vs Hawthorn

Getting over the line in back to back weeks, against the 2 grand final teams for that season, both in close hard fought matches.
These are definitely two games that should make the list

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast's five best home and away wins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back