West Gippy Latrobe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moe beat Morwell yesterday

Wonthaggi beat Morwell a few weeks back

Wonthaggi beat Moe by 5 weeks a few weeks back.

Morwell and Moe have yet to field a full strength team in any practice match from what I hear. Morwell's numbers VERY strong, with a lot of guys missing out on a game entirely

Is there any truth to the rumor steve andrews will be returning to the area to play with maffra for large dollars? i played with him in melb 2 years ago where he single handedly took us to the amatures div one gf, look out for this monster!

Red Roy said:
Any info on how Sale are travelling?

From what ive heard they are looking good. They have gotten back Shubach from Adelaide Crows and the new coach is liked by players and commitee members alike. Big year for the Magpies i think.

Apparently in the 1st Qtr the Scores where Sale 75 to Maffra 5 points, and i think sale ended up giving them a major thrashing, can't confirm it though

Hey stafford that would be a major turnaround from last few years.

Has the change of coaches made such a difference?

Im not too sure , maffra has lost a lot of players probably around 14 or more that have played in the Seniors over the past few years and Sale have gained some good players

Stafford678 said:
Apparently in the 1st Qtr the Scores where Sale 75 to Maffra 5 points, and i think sale ended up giving them a major thrashing, can't confirm it though

Nah not quite ... Sale started well in the battle of the birds and held an impressive 7-8 goal lead at qtr time.

Maffra on the other hand were struggling to hit targets and generate run out of defense - with Burgiel being heavily tagged at stages by Sale's Chris Laverty which made for interesting viewing.

At one stage in the opening Qtr the ball bounced between Stuart Anderson and Burgiel and almost resulted in Burgs being knocked into next week, but he managed to gather the ball and avoid a freight-train-like Anderson who had one intention (and it wasnt the footy)

Coleman was finding plenty of possessions for Maffra, and would have finished well in the 30's. However the midfield run in the first half was dominated by the Magpies - with Schuback, Anderson and a young VFL listed Damon "The A factor" Arrezzolo (who started on the bench) finding plenty of the football.

Just before half time Arrezzolo provided some magic in front of the grand stand - receiving a handball from Schuback just forward of the wing - taking off with his opponent hot on his hammer - casually taking 2 bounces and slotting the goal of the day towards the SportsTAB end of the ground from around 35-40 hard up on the boundary.

With the crowd on the tip of his finger - Arrrrrrrrreeeezzzzooolo proceeded to slot another 2 majors to finish out the game among Sale's best - finishing with 3 goals and around 15 possessions.

However as the game drew closer to an end, the run of Schuback, Ando and Rusty seemed to dissappear, as the Maffra outfit crept back to within 2 goals with a minute to go. Dougy Bates recovered well from a heavy hit from a fired up Anderson in the 3rd term, and prooved to be a vital factor in Maffra's resurgence.

But it wasn't enough, and the earlier assumed "thrashing" was actually a 12 point win to Sale!

Sale best: Schuback, T Bristow, Hughes, Arrezzolo, Anderson, Laverty
Maffra best: Coleman, Burgiel, Bates

Stoney said:
Nah not quite ... Sale started well in the battle of the birds and held an impressive 7-8 goal lead at qtr time.

Maffra on the other hand were struggling to hit targets and generate run out of defense - with Burgiel being heavily tagged at stages by Sale's Chris Laverty which made for interesting viewing.

At one stage in the opening Qtr the ball bounced between Stuart Anderson and Burgiel and almost resulted in Burgs being knocked into next week, but he managed to gather the ball and avoid a freight-train-like Anderson who had one intention (and it wasnt the footy)

Coleman was finding plenty of possessions for Maffra, and would have finished well in the 30's. However the midfield run in the first half was dominated by the Magpies - with Schuback, Anderson and a young VFL listed Damon "The A factor" Arrezzolo (who started on the bench) finding plenty of the football.

Just before half time Arrezzolo provided some magic in front of the grand stand - receiving a handball from Schuback just forward of the wing - taking off with his opponent hot on his hammer - casually taking 2 bounces and slotting the goal of the day towards the SportsTAB end of the ground from around 35-40 hard up on the boundary.

With the crowd on the tip of his finger - Arrrrrrrrreeeezzzzooolo proceeded to slot another 2 majors to finish out the game among Sale's best - finishing with 3 goals and around 15 possessions.

However as the game drew closer to an end, the run of Schuback, Ando and Rusty seemed to dissappear, as the Maffra outfit crept back to within 2 goals with a minute to go. Dougy Bates recovered well from a heavy hit from a fired up Anderson in the 3rd term, and prooved to be a vital factor in Maffra's resurgence.

But it wasn't enough, and the earlier assumed "thrashing" was actually a 12 point win to Sale!

Sale best: Schuback, T Bristow, Hughes, Arrezzolo, Anderson, Laverty
Maffra best: Coleman, Burgiel, Bates

The first quater was unbelievable. THere was a hush over the crowd because i dont think it seemed real after 6 years since Sales last win against the Eagles.

A great win to a much sharper and stronger Sale team than previous years. Maffra is a team full of meat heads and i wish burgiel ( and his gay brother) did get knocked out. Well done Sale!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a great game Sale v Maffra, Sale stopped to a walk in the last quarter and Maffra nearly ran over the top of them.There seemed to be a few guys running around for Maffra a bit short of a gallop Sale looked a lot fitter team.For a big name player Adrian Burgiel must have the worst number in country footy:-a very crookedly sewn on number 77 he must be supersticious or something.The game was by no means spiteful ,like is the norm in Sale-Maffra games ,i actually saw Horstman help Anderson up off the ground and give him a pat on the arse as if to say sorry in the last quarter that shouldn't happen.Overall great to see the maggies get up over the eagles for the first time in six years.No way known i'd be writing off the eagles as a serious threat just yet though,their lineup still contains too many class players for that.

Thanks for the comments Buster the Hawk, better than the juvenille comments from Joshuaa, see below, most the meatheads do have premiership medallions, some people do use this forum to get info on leagues they have a interst in, would be game person to write of eagles.
By the way Joshuaa i think you will find that Hayden Burgiel is married to Stuart Anderson sister and I would imagine both were attaching the ball the way you would expect in a clash of the birds, easy to sit in grandstand and make imature comments. Looks like a even season with Sale winning, warragul beating last years premiers and a close game in the other games.

A great win to a much sharper and stronger Sale team than previous years. Maffra is a team full of meat heads and i wish burgiel ( and his gay brother) did get knocked out. Well done Sale![/QUOTE]

joshooaa said:
The first quater was unbelievable. THere was a hush over the crowd because i dont think it seemed real after 6 years since Sales last win against the Eagles.

A great win to a much sharper and stronger Sale team than previous years. Maffra is a team full of meat heads and i wish burgiel ( and his gay brother) did get knocked out. Well done Sale!

bit harsh

Maffra have Garfield this week....interesting to see how they bounce back

Groenwegen said:
Thanks for the comments Buster the Hawk, better than the juvenille comments from Joshuaa, see below, most the meatheads do have premiership medallions, some people do use this forum to get info on leagues they have a interst in, would be game person to write of eagles.
By the way Joshuaa i think you will find that Hayden Burgiel is married to Stuart Anderson sister and I would imagine both were attaching the ball the way you would expect in a clash of the birds, easy to sit in grandstand and make imature comments. Looks like a even season with Sale winning, warragul beating last years premiers and a close game in the other games.

[/quote]

Strangely enough i agree with you that my comments were imature, and i take them back ( although i do believe there are at least a few meatheads in the Maffra side!) But look i was just having a bit of fun, all in jest. Truth is though i have seen ( not so much Hayden) but Adrien Burgiel do quite a few dirty things on the feild and i dont like the spirit in which he plays the game.

Groenwegen said:
Hayden Burgiel is married to Stuart Anderson sister

Nice try but you are a bit mixed up Groenwegen. I think you will actually find that Stuart Anderson's sister is married to one of the Stobie brothers not Burgiel. Wrong set of famous Maffra brothers buddy!!

Still on the WGFL but changing the subject somewhat ,i've heard there is some rumblings from mainly the Sale & Traralgon district junior comps urging the league to scrap the U/16 comp as it is decimating the local junior competitions.For mine i reckon that would be a great idea because as usual it was only set up to appease the AFL's recruiting setup .Having kids getting up at 5.30 am if you live in Sale or Maffra to get to say Garfield by 8.00 to play at 8.30 is just plain ridiculous anyway.People would use the argument that the local comp isn't strong enough for the "elite" juniors of that agegroup but that is only because the West Gippy teams pick the eyes out of all the local junior teams hence dropping the overall standard of that comp.Any thoughts?

grayza said:
yeah the under 16's should be scrapped and let them play in their local comp
All good and well for towns who can support their own local league but the majority of the other clubs in the league can't. I don't think it is any coincidence that the two clubs kicking up a fuss are Sale and Traralgon (i.e. very strong local junior comps). These would be the only two who would vote for it (maybe Warragul) and were the only two who complained when it was initially put forward. All in all i'd be surprised if it happened, a big step backwards IMO.

mjhen3 said:
All good and well for towns who can support their own local league but the majority of the other clubs in the league can't. I don't think it is any coincidence that the two clubs kicking up a fuss are Sale and Traralgon (i.e. very strong local junior comps). These would be the only two who would vote for it (maybe Warragul) and were the only two who complained when it was initially put forward. All in all i'd be surprised if it happened, a big step backwards IMO.
The central Gippsland junior comp
is fairly strong and would cover the players from Morwell , Moe and also i believe Leongatha play in that comp and wouldn't teams from Drouin & Garfield play in the Warragul league?Surely its better for a young footballer just starting to really mature to play at a decent hour rather than early in the morning before the fogs and frosts have lifted.By creating another level of junior football elitism i have witnessed first hand (as a junior coach)the fact that the next level down ,i.e those that don't make the west Gippy squads or the so-called be-all &end all Power squads lose heart because already at U/16 level they are singled out as being just average and with no better players around them won't improve and that's just not right.In years to come if this elitism mentality keeps up that next tier down just won't be there at U/16 level.

Buster the hawk said:
The central Gippsland junior comp
is fairly strong and would cover the players from Morwell , Moe and also i believe Leongatha play in that comp and wouldn't teams from Drouin & Garfield play in the Warragul league?Surely its better for a young footballer just starting to really mature to play at a decent hour rather than early in the morning before the fogs and frosts have lifted.By creating another level of junior football elitism i have witnessed first hand (as a junior coach)the fact that the next level down ,i.e those that don't make the west Gippy squads or the so-called be-all &end all Power squads lose heart because already at U/16 level they are singled out as being just average and with no better players around them won't improve and that's just not right.In years to come if this elitism mentality keeps up that next tier down just won't be there at U/16 level.
You make some good points and I have noticed that playing in the fog and lifting the dew week in week out isn't good for the development of skills. I just don't think that the majority of clubs would have any problems with the current arrangement (bar Sale & Tgon, possibly Warragul) and therefore things will remain the same. Clubs seem to be able to bring through some good juniors and most sides in the league would currently be made up of players brought through from the current system. For mine that is the point of the U/16's and as long as it's working I think it will remain.

mjhen3 said:
You make some good points and I have noticed that playing in the fog and lifting the dew week in week out isn't good for the development of skills. I just don't think that the majority of clubs would have any problems with the current arrangement (bar Sale & Tgon, possibly Warragul) and therefore things will remain the same. Clubs seem to be able to bring through some good juniors and most sides in the league would currently be made up of players brought through from the current system. For mine that is the point of the U/16's and as long as it's working I think it will remain.
Its good to have meaningful discussion on differences of opinion for a change rather than the usual mud-slinging that goes on in this forum.As you may have gathered i feel reasonably strong on this subject because i have taken up junior coaching in the last couple of years ,done the relevant courses etc and i 've got to say i've been disappointed in the predominate attitude of a lot of the more talented footballers i've come across.It seems to be they think the game is all about what rep squads "I" can make and what is best for "me" rather than the team they play for and the junior club they represent.This has got to be an unhealthy attitude in what is meant to be the ultimate team sport.When i played junior footy it was all about playing with your mates on the weekend and if you made schoolboys ,VFL U/19's in the process that was just a bonus.

gippsland latrobe

Looks like 06'is between Sale ,Maffra & Traralgon and then daylight.Morwell started to look OK kicking 34 goals in a big win over Drouin but come up the following week and get pumped by Sale by 15 goals with Jacob Schuback kicking eight from a forward flank.Heard Maffra are seriously chasing the sevices of a gun onballer from Sale City in the North Gippy now that it looks like the Bulldogs are going to be nowhere near the finals in that league this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back