Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

difference being the vcfl knocked imps back, do you really think they want heywood to stay in the wb.
heywood making this decision has made their day it just meant the vcfl didnt have to do it for them
end result is if heywood want to go, and they do they will be playing in sw next season

ITS THE START OF THE END OF WBFL!!!!!!!

Hampden are working actively behind the scenes, they wont admit it!!!!the WB executive have been incompetent!! no point trying to help now, damage is done, everybody could see this coming, it is no fault of Heywood they have tried everything humanly possible.

Review of SW footy to take place on Tuesday, if i was David Heard i wouldnt be sitting to comfortable at the moment. Wonder if the review panel will talk to people outside the League exe's, Junior Development is a massive issue in the SW, it is just not getting done properly, cant just photocopy sheets of paper and expect the rest to take care of it's self.

Review will be tabled to AFL Vic by end of Sept, lets hope sweeping changes are made, otherwise Footy in SW is in real trouble.

Do you have any proof that afl victoria or the vcfl are looking at restructuring this region
or are you just stirring things up again!!! My opinion it is à impossible task, there will be alot of displaced clubs and the sa teams have nowhere to go. No club in its current state besides portland is capable of competing in the hampden league - they are not strong enough and dont have the financial backing. Is Afl victoria going to show preference towards the hampden league over the wbfl - i doubted. This subject is getting tired.....move on!!!

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to crawl out from under the rocks and see what is actually going on in the world but to each his own.

All i've done is try and open your eyes but by all means keep them closed if you like.

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to crawl out from under the rocks and see what is actually going on in the world but to each his own.

All i've done is try and open your eyes but by all means keep them closed if you like.

Eyes wide open mate!!! From your point of view I understand - you want to see your league grow. We've clearly got a fight on our hands. There are 12 clubs in your district league - are there no opportunities there?

Seen a couple of references to the lack of junior development in the region and how AFL Victoria should step in and smarten this area up. And that only a few U/18s guys get the benefits of the Ballarat Rebels stuff.

Isn't Jock Whiting the AFL Victoria development guy that's responsible for all that stuff and not the leagues? Schoolboys, 16s Legends and 18s Rebels?
What does Gerard Lucas have to do with it all? Thought the VCFL rep for the South West is Brett Anderson.

Seen a couple of references to the lack of junior development in the region and how AFL Victoria should step in and smarten this area up. And that only a few U/18s guys get the benefits of the Ballarat Rebels stuff.

Isn't Jock Whiting the AFL Victoria development guy that's responsible for all that stuff and not the leagues? Schoolboys, 16s Legends and 18s Rebels?
What does Gerard Lucas have to do with it all? Thought the VCFL rep for the South West is Brett Anderson.

I am completely amazed the south west does not have a junior comp, how is that possible, how has the league survived and why is heywood joining a competition that has no juniors. Another concerning thing I read in the Warrnambool standard is that the hampden league is considering killing off the reserves comp - they cant get numbers. Worrying times ahead. Perhaps the Afl can invest their massive profits into country footy. It seems pretty mediocre that Afl players are threatening to strike if they cant get a slice of profits when country footy clubs where alot of them came from are dying.

Watched both mount games on weekend. Conditions suited east with there game style. West got up in a thriller with no Wilson, Ryan, or ransom. If you were west you would wanna get ransom back playing soon before finals!

I am completely amazed the south west does not have a junior comp, how is that possible, how has the league survived and why is heywood joining a competition that has no juniors. Another concerning thing I read in the Warrnambool standard is that the hampden league is considering killing off the reserves comp - they cant get numbers. Worrying times ahead. Perhaps the Afl can invest their massive profits into country footy. It seems pretty mediocre that Afl players are threatening to strike if they cant get a slice of profits when country footy clubs where alot of them came from are dying.

South West doesn't have juniors because both Portland and Hamilton have junior comps (U/12 - U/14 & U/16). Kids that would or could play in the south west play in these leagues instead. FWIW both are administered by the WBFL. The Hampden concept to kill off reserves would only come with a total restructure and in all honesty it's not going to happen quickly.

The AFL will invest in country footy but not under the currents structure. They have already commissioned a review which will prove to be highly critical of the VCFL and might result in its ultimate demise.

If you read any of the recent commentaries in the papers you would be come to the same conclusion that I have. Heywood's decision to move is the domino that will lead to massive changes across the western region.

Again reading comments from the VCFL they will not act unless they are absolutely forced to. Interesting times ahead.

Eyes wide open mate!!! From your point of view I understand - you want to see your league grow. We've clearly got a fight on our hands. There are 12 clubs in your district league - are there no opportunities there?

Just to correct you, I have had no involvement in the HFL when Mortlake ceased playing in its own right. I couldn't care less what happens to the HFL. There are no WDFL clubs that could remotely come into the HFL. North Warrnambool came in in 1997, since that time they have never played in a senior final despite the comp having a final five and there being only eight sides for the vast majority of that period - on the weekend they again dropped out of the five.

I have probably seen more WBFL games than HFL in the last ten years. It amuses me that all the other clubs want to help Heywood but that doesn't stop them from taking their players when it suits them. Obviously the WBFL will try and hang on like grim death to their league and that is their right, But times are changing. I note the comments from the Casteron President - he can see what is coming. For Portland it's not an issue - they will be competitive wherever they play, pretty silent up in Hamilton - they now know they have a big decision to make.

You don't have to agree with what I'm saying or like it - but i'm telling you things are happening and like I indicated way back when, Heywood is pivotal to the whole thing.

who cares if there were no people from the wbfl at the meeting and they didnt have to be there.

meeting was for Heywood to decide what they wanted to do, it is now that both parties need to get together a thrash some things out.

logical situation would be the vic team goes their way and sa team go theirs.

but we see what happens, WBFL to slow they should have been trying to get more teams into its competition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who cares if there were no people from the wbfl at the meeting and they didnt have to be there.

meeting was for Heywood to decide what they wanted to do, it is now that both parties need to get together a thrash some things out.

but we see what happens, WBFL to slow they should have been trying to get more teams into its competition

So what do you suggest a five team comp for just the sa teams. Do you realise if the sa teams drop back into the mid se it would be a fairly reduced level of competition and we would have to adopt the junior/senior colt system. I believe south have about 100 kids under the age of 14. What do you say to all these kids when over 100 turn up to play junior and senior colts.

nup

they need to combine all 3 leagues, wbfl, mdse and kntfl, have a 2 tier comp and team that win 2 level goes up team that finish bottom of top goes down.

big picture is some teams need to combine, how you do that dont know.

something got to happen or else it will fall over.

and yes all mount clubs have good juniors and its a credit to those clubs and the poor school football program

nanga/kdoo combine port mac/ kong combine robe/kingston combine see my drift.

all 3 leagues need a think tank

nup

they need to combine all 3 leagues, wbfl, mdse and kntfl, have a 2 tier comp and team that win 2 level goes up team that finish bottom of top goes down.

and yes all mount clubs have good juniors and its a credit to those clubs and the poor school football program

Pretty close to the mark IMO, needs a clear strategy and plan to make it happen but it can be done. In fact it may have already been done.

nup

Not a bad idea - perhaps a penola/nagwarry combine? Could result in a stronger competition. Did read the cats presidents article in the standard Royboy and I do agree with his opinion that there are too many clubs. Perhaps a cull and restructure of district league and clubs would save the wbfl and may even make the comp stronger.

I think legally the vcfl/afl victoria have their hands tied so they cant make any forced changes. The changes will have to be made between the leagues and clubs themselves.
It would make sense for the S.A. teams to run a separate comp if Imps want out also.
With the junior footy playing on the same day as the seniors means better crowds at the footy and clubrooms and locals back playing wbfl instead of playing mse so their Sundays are free.
Trying to merge teams sounds good but never works as no one wants their team/club gone

Ok now that it's out in the open here goes;

Heywood & Casterton to SWDFL Portland & Hamilton Juniors disbanded, SWDFL starts junior competitions suggest U/12, U/14 & U/17

Hamilton & Imps merge or cease and form a new entity which plays in HFL.

Portland transfers to HFL.

SA WBFL Clubs transfer to a revamped South East League. I'm suggesting it will be a competition of between 10-12 teams with some mergers of existing Mid South East Clubs but I will not comment on who or how.

Mergers are a reality, clubs in other parts of the state have embraced it and it works well. Over this way we have two excellent examples in Timboon Demons (Timboon / Heytesbury / Scotts Creek / Port Cambell / Princetown) & Kolora Noorat Power (Kolora / Noorat / Glenormiston). Both have reinvigorated the communities and have won premierships since joining together in a higher league that what they were in.

More teams in the WBFL - any suggestions?

nup

iknowstuffall, it would not of taken long for you to name yourself mate, with a name like that, you really do KNOW STUFF ALL!!!
That dribble you have just amused us all with is one of the most ridiculous rants I have ever heard.
Are you suggesting that the Mount teams travel to Keith, Padthaway and Bordertown on a regular basis? And why would Kongorong, Pt Mac and Robe (all very healthy clubs with years of tradition) want to merge for no apparant reason. All this because one club which has struggled for years has decided for its best interest to enter a lower competition.
Hamilton won a flag in 04' Imps in 01' grand finalists in 08', not sure what their problem is? Its not like they are success starved?
Heres a crazy but logical idea, how about Heywood join the SWDFL and the WB continues on with 9 teams like the hundreds of other leagues around Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back