Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked the sound of Simon Bampfields '3 division western football' idea in the paper saturday. didn't do much for the SA teams, but I'm sure they could have the same type of thing over there too..(?)

Did anyone else see the piece? any thoughts?

Yeah saw it in fridays paper. For the SA side of things the WBFL, VCFL and SACFL have stated that a merge is not possible.

Can someone please explain to me why Hamilton and Imps think it is viable for them to move to the stronger Hampden FL. If they cannot be competitive in the WB why would they think they could do it in the HFL? Sponsorship is not worth FA in country footy so they can't use that one. This is a serious question!! Can someone explain how and why they think they would be better off in a stronger league??
My understanding is that there are greater sponsorship opportunities from both the Hamilton region and also in the Warrnambool area if the club were to move to the Hampden league, so financially the club would be more viable. The dollars spoken about is significant!
Imps also have a strong supporter base in the Warrnambool area, with many ex Hamiltonians now living there and still showing an interest in the club. I have personally spoken to alot of these people over the years, and they would certainly be keen and on board if the club were to move!.
Imps have for years had a very strong junior program, and when they finish school, and head to university to places like Ballarat, Geelong and Warrnambool, they don't want to travel back, with the extra distance to SA - and lose them forever. Many of these players have indicated they would play with the club if they were in the Hampden League.
The major catchment area for recruiting is to the South/East of Hamilton...... so recruiting players to play in the Hampden would be alot smoother than recruiting them to play in the WB.
To say Imperials aren't competitive in the WB is a joke. Imps play regularly in finals and only 3 years ago played off in a Grand Final. Since 1993 South have won 8 or 9 premierships, Portland 4 or 5, Imps 3, Hamilton and West 1 each. Imps have also played in 3 losing Grand Finals. So the arguement to say Imps are not competitive is flawed. Last year the on field performances were at times uncompetitive, but the club has improved dramatically on and off the field this year, and is heading in the right direction!
The last 2 points I'll make is that the Hampden FL has a greater following..... Supporters actually travel to games when their teams play away. Same can't be said for SA clubs when their teams play in Victoria and in particular Hamilton!
and the league refuses to give Melville Oval a final (1 exception was when Imps played Hamilton in a Qualifying Final in 2008), so other clubs get a huge financial bonus by hosting finals, that Imps and Hamilton always miss out on!
So does the WBFL really want the Hamilton Imperial FNC???? Doesn't appear so!

My understanding is that there are greater sponsorship opportunities from both the Hamilton region and also in the Warrnambool area if the club were to move to the Hampden league, so financially the club would be more viable. The dollars spoken about is significant!
Imps also have a strong supporter base in the Warrnambool area, with many ex Hamiltonians now living there and still showing an interest in the club. I have personally spoken to alot of these people over the years, and they would certainly be keen and on board if the club were to move!.
Imps have for years had a very strong junior program, and when they finish school, and head to university to places like Ballarat, Geelong and Warrnambool, they don't want to travel back, with the extra distance to SA - and lose them forever. Many of these players have indicated they would play with the club if they were in the Hampden League.
The major catchment area for recruiting is to the South/East of Hamilton...... so recruiting players to play in the Hampden would be alot smoother than recruiting them to play in the WB.
To say Imperials aren't competitive in the WB is a joke. Imps play regularly in finals and only 3 years ago played off in a Grand Final. Since 1993 South have won 8 or 9 premierships, Portland 4 or 5, Imps 3, Hamilton and West 1 each. Imps have also played in 3 losing Grand Finals. So the arguement to say Imps are not competitive is flawed. Last year the on field performances were at times uncompetitive, but the club has improved dramatically on and off the field this year, and is heading in the right direction!
The last 2 points I'll make is that the Hampden FL has a greater following..... Supporters actually travel to games when their teams play away. Same can't be said for SA clubs when their teams play in Victoria and in particular Hamilton!
and the league refuses to give Melville Oval a final (1 exception was when Imps played Hamilton in a Qualifying Final in 2008), so other clubs get a huge financial bonus by hosting finals, that Imps and Hamilton always miss out on!
One thing you are forgeting here is Imperials get very poor attendances at their home games. A lot of their supporters only seem to support them when they are going well. The last home game they hosted against hamilton was a prime example one of the smallest crowds for a Imps V Hamilton game. Imperials are a well run club with the loyal people working behind the scences hard and have great business brains, the only thing is they lack finances which will in the end see them knocked back yet again from transfering to the Hampton league. I personally know a number of the players who have left the club and gone to the minor leagues because they were treated poorly by coaching officals in the past. I think if anyone should move to the Hampton league it should be a combined Hamilton & Imperials team. Hamilton could supply the finances and Imperials could supply the Committee and the coach.

One thing you are forgeting here is Imperials get very poor attendances at their home games. A lot of their supporters only seem to support them when they are going well. The last home game they hosted against hamilton was a prime example one of the smallest crowds for a Imps V Hamilton game. Imperials are a well run club with the loyal people working behind the scences hard and have great business brains, the only thing is they lack finances which will in the end see them knocked back yet again from transfering to the Hampton league. I personally know a number of the players who have left the club and gone to the minor leagues because they were treated poorly by coaching officals in the past. I think if anyone should move to the Hampton league it should be a combined Hamilton & Imperials team. Hamilton could supply the finances and Imperials could supply the Committee and the coach.
The crowds at Imps games seem to be on par with most others in the league (where Imps have been playing). Imps do have a loyal band of supporters, but like most clubs, also have many that only show up when winning. This years Imps v Hamilton game a few weeks ago would have been one of the biggest crowds in the last 10 years. The crowd was quite deep and stretched from the cottage right around to the main gate. It was over a $6k gate!
While clubs never like to lose players, there are always going to be departures. I wouldn't have thought that players who left were treated poorly, but there were some that were stiff to miss out on a game in the Senior GF in 2008 - but that happens when you have a list with depth!

hmmm that bolded part reads eerily close to the same wording as the story in the hamilton spec.
What sort of sponsorship dollars are we talking here?
Surely if you are taking dollars out of warrnambool the current clubs there wont be happy.

hmmm that bolded part reads eerily close to the same wording as the story in the hamilton spec.
What sort of sponsorship dollars are we talking here?
Surely if you are taking dollars out of warrnambool the current clubs there wont be happy.[/QUOT

Yeah there's a few sports editors on here. I understand imps passionate plea but there is also the impact it will have on the league and clubs which will be quite significant.

So a review of south west footy from the VCFL and their south australian counterpart SACFL is going ahead. Where will it head?
Being involved with all 3 leagues in the south east - WBFL, Mid SE and KNTFL I really dont see what options they have but to stay with the current leagues. Naracoorte is a possibility of being able to compete and has the population but I doubted they will be able to adopt the current junior system - under 16,14 and 12's. Other than that I believe there is no other club that can compete!!!! Majority of the clubs in the kntfl do not have the population and rely heavily on players from adelaide just to compete in the current league. I am 100% confident that rod morris/Iknowstuffall's idea will not work.
Many people believe that a review will hurt the western border but perhaps it will push for a restructure of surrounding district leagues and in return improve the competetion.
Any thouhgts?????

Even if WBFL goes to eight teams cant see why the league wouldnt survive. Dont know the KNFL standard to say whether there are any teams that could come into the WBFL. WBFL will need Casterton and Millicent to remain competitive.

the thing about it is that people will have to get over the stigma and pride of being the teams that merge. look at Tarpeena, wanted to merge with nangwary and 1 party did not want to merge and look what happen tarpeena went and now that other club is on the verge of extinction.

whether we like it or not it has to happen there are over 20 plus teams in all 3 leagues and some will have to merge, clubs can not keep paying big dollars for players from Adelaide. i would rather play for a merged club than not play at all but if we could stop kids working on week ends maybe things would improve.

maybe we go back to u/12 thru to u/18 playing on Sunday`s and this may get more kids playing instead of working.

people need to get their heads out of their arse`s and stop whinging and do some thing about it

sad to see heywood step back to the south west league but the wbfl will survive, the hampden league only has 9 clbs and there are sides over there that struggle, eg port fairy.

but it seems footy everywhere struggling even here in tassie sides are trying to move leagues and sides struggle to mix it with the top sides in there comps

Say what you want about South Gambier and Jon Copping but losing 10 premiership players from last years squad and as far as I know, not bringing in 1 recruit to knock off Portland yesterday and to be sitting a game clear in 3rd spot is pretty impressive. Throws it wide open for the finals! West V South grand final???

Say what you want about South Gambier and Jon Copping but losing 10 premiership players from last years squad and as far as I know, not bringing in 1 recruit to knock off Portland yesterday and to be sitting a game clear in 3rd spot is pretty impressive. Throws it wide open for the finals! West V South grand final???
Freak your beloved hamilton magpies have failed again this year, due to recruiting players that are about as handy as gay bloke in the mens gallery and your big name recruit from the chicken shop not showing up.You are now on the south band wagon and rightly so.I hope they get up and blow the rig and his festers away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting remaining season ahead. South v West last round. Likely first final between Portland and South. One all this season. I'll still predict a Portland v West GF. South must always be given respect however and never taken lightly come finals time.

Freak your beloved hamilton magpies have failed again this year, due to recruiting players that are about as handy as gay bloke in the mens gallery and your big name recruit from the chicken shop not showing up.You are now on the south band wagon and rightly so.I hope they get up and blow the rig and his festers away.
Hamilton have wasted a lot of money for nothing. Thats what happens when Grant russell is at your club. They would have been better having a local playing coach and getting some of their premiership players back. recruiting wise the most positive of the recruits was Hanson. they need to make sure they keep him. Looks like it is a race of 3 between Portland West and south this year all have good chances and need to be playing at their best during the whole finals series

Where did Hamilton finish last year guys???? think theyve improved on last year a fair bit.... they have a few recruits,, just like evry other club,, and if ya check the info have played young locals all year...... geex a bit rough of russell,,, didnt know that he had to win a flag or hes done a bad job..... atleast hes giving hamilton something to build with next year, being one spot out of the five.... dont think they had before they got there...... Allyour info guys is based on personal feelings to Russell,, sorry but thats fair and i rate the bloke the highly,,, let me guess???? ill now get abused for being hinest and telling truths

You should be abused for having a man crush on a clown bidda boom.
If you gave Mickey Mouse $100,000 extra on top of the existing expenditure of a team that won 3 games last year I think even he would have done better than 7 wins and a draw !!! (especially considering the depth in the juniors)

you are a tool scnitz, jumping on the band wagon to put poor old rig and the roos down. i was wondering if heywood has had the success that west did would you be quick to jump on them. you blokes got to remember that west finished bottom 2 years ago and now that they are successful you want to hunt them down. good thing my side the dogs are quietly going about their business.

and any one who thinks Russel has done a good job is a w***er, their reserves again forfeited and probably will do it again this week against north, true to russles for try and win the seniors don care about any one esle

Russell would have to be the most overated coach in the country. The sooner the end of the season comes around and he is out the door the better. Hamilton should be signing the person they should have 2 years ago in the first place as coach that been Glenthompson-Dunkeld coach Simon Hatherell. That way they are almost guarrenteed to get back most of the players that left at the same time as him and he will recruit some good players too. The club did a bad thing overlooking him at the end of 2009. Other likely candidates internally would be Gepp or Crawford.

Russell would have to be the most overated coach in the country. The sooner the end of the season comes around and he is out the door the better. Hamilton should be signing the person they should have 2 years ago in the first place as coach that been Glenthompson-Dunkeld coach Simon Hatherell. That way they are almost guarrenteed to get back most of the players that left at the same time as him and he will recruit some good players too. The club did a bad thing overlooking him at the end of 2009. Other likely candidates internally would be Gepp or Crawford.

Maybe Geppy would snag a few Heywood boys still looking to play at the higher level if he got the job...?
(if they're are anymore to snag ;))

you are a tool scnitz, jumping on the band wagon to put poor old rig and the roos down. i was wondering if heywood has had the success that west did would you be quick to jump on them. you blokes got to remember that west finished bottom 2 years ago and now that they are successful you want to hunt them down. good thing my side the dogs are quietly going about their business.

and any one who thinks Russel has done a good job is a w***er, their reserves again forfeited and probably will do it again this week against north, true to russles for try and win the seniors don care about any one esle
iknowstuffall you have just done exactly that you pumpstick by abusing russel.shame on you big boy, get back in that kennel.

iknowstuffall you have just done exactly that you pumpstick by abusing russel.shame on you big boy, get back in that kennel.

Snitz, most people on this forum would agree with iknowstuffall. Clubs have had to start from scratch after Russell has been coach. History tells with para hills, west and berri, and Hanson has been at all clubs. For such a healthy n proud club Hamilton has been over the years, to struggle with u/18's numbers and forfeit a lot of reserve games there's a problem. Let's see next year how hamiltons numbers are without him.

Will we see a upset before the end of the year like last year with south loosing there last game to casterton which cost them top spot!

Maybe Geppy would snag a few Heywood boys still looking to play at the higher level if he got the job...?
(if they're are anymore to snag ;))

From my information, geppy won't be at Hamilton next year anyways, but do agree with warhog, think there number's will improve without Russell there.

East have reapointed Child's for another year, have heard a few players not happy with him, so will be interesting what in's and out's they have next year, as Child's has had problems recruiting!!

Looks like anyone come finals could win on the day, Holt wouldnt be as confident anymore compared to a few weeks ago, with all losses away to Mount teams. He does have experienced big name players, bit of age comes with them, are they fit enough to run the games out!!!!!

From my information, geppy won't be at Hamilton next year anyways, but do agree with warhog, think there number's will improve without Russell there.

East have reapointed Child's for another year, have heard a few players not happy with him, so will be interesting what in's and out's they have next year, as Child's has had problems recruiting!!

Looks like anyone come finals could win on the day, Holt wouldnt be as confident anymore compared to a few weeks ago, with all losses away to Mount teams. He does have experienced big name players, bit of age comes with them, are they fit enough to run the games out!!!!!

Winis Imbi unfit and overweight will be interesting to see if he can hold his spot come finals time.

It would be disappointing if East are not on top of this as they can ill afford to lose any more players they will struggle big time if they do. With the management of this club there seems to be too many too comfortable at the moment they need some quality people on and off the field with fresh blood coming into this club to lift it and stop the rot that will drive this club down the tubes imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Border Football League - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back