Western Border Football League - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was on the blower to a former heywood/millicent player a few weeks back and he had a bit of a chuckle about the the lions recruiting coo's to date, his main concern was heywood's juniors/u18's.

It's alright to have these pie's signed up but if injuries occur...and all you've got is your wayne 'chooka howlets & seasoned two's players to call up, your list is tested. In Heywood's case, severly tested !!

I have one example = 2002 Ashleigh Brown was appointed Captain coach of Millicent, five players followed him from over the apple isle. Millicent already had Joey Cotton so that was a bonus...vibe was good, the a's list was above average and Brown had a good senior group togethor.

What happened...they finished 6th or 7th that yr !? injuries had stuffed the season. They had no two's depth & u18's side was'nt the best, thats what heywood must be weary of.
Interesting thing was it was'nt the recruits that copped the injuries, it was the home grown...:cool:
Your memory is wilting Ant,(too much cough syrup) Ash Brown coached Millicent in 2005 before heading West

This may have already been brought up in the past, (and if so, sorry.) but in essence of todays back page of the Herald Sun, and being on the cusp of yet another pre-season cup in the WBFL.

( http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...gin-afl-captains/story-e6frf9jf-1225842555041 )

Should the WBFL have a state of origins team match once a yr?

I think it would be more meaningful for the league in itself, in contrast to a round robin battle out. Granted its Vics V SA's at the end of the pre-season cup, but if it was one complete match?

Pretty ordinary if the coach left training because a drill wasnt being done properly or players werent listening to instructions. It would be his job to make them listen, no?
That's not entirely correct, to say he left training, because it gives the impression he just walked off mid session.
It was the last drill of the night and by and large the group was having a very off night, as all groups will do from time to time, so he called the group in, sent them on warm downs and went into the rooms to tidy up end of training details, then left.
It seemed more of a "this is wasting time, lets have a break and run that again next week and get it right" type of move, and when he did run it again the following week it was one of the club's better training sessions, so his process worked, on the occassion at least. Having seen a number of coaches in action over the last 20 years or so I'd say Sinclair is proving to be fairly effective with the Heywood group he has with him right now and seems to be on the right track, but of course the proof will be in the pudding.

This may have already been brought up in the past, (and if so, sorry.) but in essence of todays back page of the Herald Sun, and being on the cusp of yet another pre-season cup in the WBFL.

( http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...gin-afl-captains/story-e6frf9jf-1225842555041 )

Should the WBFL have a state of origins team match once a yr?

I think it would be more meaningful for the league in itself, in contrast to a round robin battle out. Granted its Vics V SA's at the end of the pre-season cup, but if it was one complete match?

Excellent idea! I've actually pondered that concept myself over the last few years and I know West coach Keith Hooker Ransom spoke about it in an article in one of the local newspapers a couple of years back. I know I'd want to go and watch that sort of a game and I'm willing to bet the players would be keen to play in it.

Excellent idea! I've actually pondered that concept myself over the last few years and I know West coach Keith Hooker Ransom spoke about it in an article in one of the local newspapers a couple of years back. I know I'd want to go and watch that sort of a game and I'm willing to bet the players would be keen to play in it.

Just on that too, the WBFL proposes quite the feat' that you ask yourself ' how many leagues in Aus are split over two different states?

With WBFL being on the border, and sharing it's teams over two states, it's quite the rarity, it begs the question of SoO football. It should be highly considered at least...

just going on what i heard in portland the other day. would be good for them if he did
Nick Johnstone will be back at Heywood, just probably not for another year or two at least. Everyone at the Lions' Den would love him back next week, but we're going to have to be patient. He has some good opportunities up north and to be honest we'd all love to see him snag a rookie possie with Gold Coast in the near future and not be back down our way for a number of years, but if that doesn't happen we'll have him back any time.

Great to see Hamilton has finally recruited a handy player in Mark Bradley who over summer has been playing in the AFLNT league. Very hany pick-up for the Pies. Lets hope they have a few more signings in the next couple of weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Johnstone will be back at Heywood, just probably not for another year or two at least. Everyone at the Lions' Den would love him back next week, but we're going to have to be patient. He has some good opportunities up north and to be honest we'd all love to see him snag a rookie possie with Gold Coast in the near future and not be back down our way for a number of years, but if that doesn't happen we'll have him back any time.
Correction, i have heard the rumour straight from the source. Nick Johnstone will be home for good next week, and will be training with the Lions, a massive inclusion!

Correction, i have heard the rumour straight from the source. Nick Johnstone will be home for good next week, and will be training with the Lions, a massive inclusion!

I hope you are right and if so, I stand corrected, but that is the first I have heard of that. Good news on the under-18 front too by the sound of it.

true this is. i retract my previous comment. nick infromed me after i had posted. good for the club but would have been a good oportunity for him to play in qld

Any word out of the Mt Gambier teams? I'm only new to Big Footy. I grew up in the Mt playing for North but moved up here to Adelaide for Uni and have since stayed.

My folks moved over to Warrnambool 2 years ago so since them my WBFL knowledge has dried right up.

It'd be good to see Heywood do alright, as long as I can remember they've been ordinary. It'd also be good to see someone other than South and Portland take home the silverware (I was ever so pleased to hear East got knocked off in the GF last year, even if it was to South again).

The two best teams did not even make the final.
Organisers of the day cocked that up.

ps. Casterton are a disgrace for playing that team. SHOCKING!!!

Best way to devalue the jumper and the clubs brand.:thumbsdown:

The two best teams did not even make the final.
Organisers of the day cocked that up.

ps. Casterton are a disgrace for playing that team. SHOCKING!!!

Best way to devalue the jumper and the clubs brand.:thumbsdown:

Who were the two best sides? Did the cats send a bunch of youngsters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back