Western Oval memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was sent an excerpt from a book "Saturday afternoon fever" from a Sainters mate of mine. One chapter deals with Sainters away games, and the Western Oval. In particular, the Sainter author tells of one incident of one of our forwards dealing with a Sainter supporter behind the goals:

"McPherson, the lone forward, duly accepted the final handpass. Instead of a toe-tap over the line, he ran hard and hammered the ball into the crowd, hitting some poor bastard with a beard and a beanie full in the face. Standing with a can in his hand, he'd have done well to get out of the way even if he'd been sober. He wasn't and he didn't. The impact of the footy hitting his head lifted his feet from under him. He hung in midair for a moment, defying gravity, horizontally holding the same posotion he'd been standing in, then hit the ground like a failed parachutist. Sadly nobody helped. We were all laughing so hard it hurt our stomachs."

What are your best memories of Western Oval?

And what about Moorabbin?

1. Dougie equalling then breaking EJ's record, getting a flick pass from EJ before the game and then dominating his halfback flank and looking around and taking it all in to savour the moment. One of those was against the Bears.
2. The last game there against the Eagles. Took one of my daughters friends who wasn't a member so we had to queue up and listened to all the excitement of the brawl on the radio, got in just before quarter time and stood on the Dougie's wing side.
3. When I first started going would watch the reserves and see John Birt [who was a teacher from our school, Essendon Grammar and coach of the reserves] come on after half time and win the game for them.
4 Super winning the match against Hawthorn in the mud with a massive torp; keeping Carlton down to one goal and their lowest score that century;Rick Kennedy wrestling Plugger; Dougie coming back from his knee reco.

My Highlights of the Whitten Oval /Western Oval are

1.The day dougie broke EJ's record.

2.The Last game at the Whitten Oval against the eagles

3.My First doggies game against the bombers

4.Any time ive been there training for family days,selectors etc met many friends from the footy there they know who they are and would have just as many fond memories from there as well.

Originally posted by Doggiesrule1020
My Highlights of the Whitten Oval /Western Oval are

1.The day dougie broke EJ's record.

2.The Last game at the Whitten Oval against the eagles

3.My First doggies game against the bombers

4.Any time ive been there training for family days,selectors etc met many friends from the footy there they know who they are and would have just as many fond memories from there as well.

Would have to agree with you on the first two, i cant remember my first game of footy that i saw but yeah i have made some good friends from the footy.

My highlights:

1. EJ's last game in 1970.

2. Our last home game there against Wet Toast.

3. Most family days, but especially the one where Granty was photographed with my two kids.

4. Sitting in the outer on the fence with my dear old Nanna (long departed), and eating a hot-dog kept warm from a thermos made by Auntie Rose.

After a bit of a think about it, in order of merit:

1. Round 1 - 3 April 1976
My very first match. Another American teacher and I went to see what the game was all about. That started my addiction. Cost $2 to get in and we stood near the race below the Whitten Stand. Final score: Essendon 16.17 113 Footscray 16.16 112. A one point loss and I had my team forever. I'm a sucker for the underdog!

2. The last match at the Whitten Oval versus West Coast. My tears were second in amount only to those I shed the next year at the MCG on Prelim Final day.

3. Templeton's 15 goals versus St Kilda on 1 July 1978. Very undignified for a 25 year old school teacher to jump up and down on the Whitten Stand benches! Thank God none of my Avondale High students saw me!

4. 2 June 1984 versus Collingwood.
A certain "Pieman" marked the ball right near the scoreboard end goals after an errant pass by Graeme Allan. I was behind the left hand side point post and remember almost having a heart attack as Simon kicked the ball right through the goals.

5. Dougie breaking EJ's record. It was an honour to have a seat in the Whitten Stand on that day.

And in no particular order:

- Round 11 - 2 June 1991 - The day we kept Carlton to one goal. Damn timekeepers!

- Round 19 - 31 July 1995 - Fitzroy versus West Coast. No way there were 5423 people there as the AFL claims! Stood on the Social Club's balcony and could see the entire grond. What rain!

- Being at the Whitten Oval after attending EJ's funeral at St Pat's. Saw the cortege pass by the ground as I stood at my old seat in the Whitten Stand.

- Attending training last May and meeting Terry Wallace who asked if I'd like to visit the rooms on a match day. That led to my first time in the rooms of the MCG, meeting David Smorgon and being asked to the President's Club luncheon two days before I left Melbourne. It ended one of the best months of my life.

- Being in the Social Cub the night Scotty Wynd won the Brownlow.

- The taste of the hot chips soaked in vinegar while sitting in the pouring rain in the outer, back when we rarely won a match. I ain't no bandwagoner!

- The Thursday evening match preview dinners last May. How could I not win at least one raffle prize?:D

I guess I feel a bit sad for those too young to have nostalgic memories of the Whitten Oval. I guess I was lucky to arrive in Australia before the demise of neighbourhood grounds like ours, Moorabbin, Windy Hill, the Junction Oval, Victoria Park and Windy Hill. Entering those grounds wearing red, white and blue took a bit of courage at times!

Selectors table

Originally posted by Chicago1

- The Thursday evening match preview dinners last May. How could I not win at least one raffle prize?:D

I go to these every thurs during the season and i still cant win anything.

3. Templeton's 15 goals versus St Kilda on 1 July 1978. Very undignified for a 25 year old school teacher to jump up and down on the Whitten Stand benches! Thank God none of my Avondale High students saw me!

Are you sure Peter Baxter was not at the club by then ? :)
He may have seen his teacher making a fool of himeself :)

I used to go every thurs night to the footy club.Unfortunatly didnt go to as many as i wouldve lied last year because of school hopefulyl go to a few more this yr its always a good night to go to if anyone has the chance to goIve won a few things nothing big though mostly just the team poster and a couple of photos.Saved me paying $8.95 for the poster so i was pretty happy bout that .

Originally posted by OldSchool
Are you sure Peter Baxter was not at the club by then ? :)
He may have seen his teacher making a fool of himeself :)

LOL:D

I don't think Peter was at the club at that stage. He might have been in Year 11 that year. And anyway...... I didn't teach him, so he wouldn't have counted!:D

I did go to the footy with my students at times. I was always on my best behaviour and never enjoyed those matches! I went to the 1977 GF replay and had to sit next to one of my Year 10 Avondale High students since her mother got me my ticket! I don't think I even said "darn" that day! Grrrrrr..... but at least Collingwood lost!:p

1. Keeping Carlton to one goal in 1991, damn Mark Arceri
2. The last game against the Weagles
3. Beating Geelong in Douggies record breaker
4. Seeing Jacko kick about 13 in the magoos
5. Beating Collingwood in Shaws record breaker a week after Douggies. Mainly because at the time I thought it was significant that we had beaten Geelong and the Pies consecutively as in 1992 they had both beaten us mid year

LOL:D
I don't think Peter was at the club at that stage. He might have been in Year 11 that year. And anyway...... I didn't teach him, so he wouldn't have counted!:D

You must be teaching bookeeping because that sounds like a piece of creative accountancy :D

1. Last game c Weagles
2. Highest Score v St Kilda
3. Beating Hawtorn in GF replay Rd 1 1962, sticks in the memory
4. Choco Royal kicking a goal from the centre v Essendon
5. Whittens last game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody great topic.

I have so many great memories of the footy groundthat I wont be able to list them all.

In no particular order.

-Record score against the Saints.
-Beasleys interception and goal against the 'pies.
-Carltons 1 goal effort.
-V Essendon 1985. Seven goals in the first ten minutes after 1/2 time to sink the best team I have seen take the field.
-EJ's last game (Also my first ever game)
-Dougies record breaker.
-Last game V West Coast
-Any game where we got to run on the ground after the game and give the players a pat on the back and cheer 'em down the race.
-Any game watched from the can bar. The best atmospere at any league ground EVER.

I also worked at the ground as a blue-coat and my 'job' was to sit just inside the fence on a little stool and run out on the ground and remove streamers and stuff. Walking around the boundary line at half time and chatting to all the regulars was a highlight, as was hearing the roar as the players ran out from on the ground.

Training sessions in the '70s and '80s were also great.
One time I was playing kick-to-kick with a mate and EJ and Charlie Sutton were standing about 50 metres away looking at a piece of paper. The footy went over my head and bounced towards where the two great men stood. I yelled "Hey mate can you kick the ball back" and Whitten, without even looking up, threw his foot out sideways and kicked the ball. It came at me like a tracer bullet travelled the forty or so metres at about chest height and knocked me on my arse on impact.
I struggled to my feet and Whitten and Sutton were having a huge giggle and I heard Sutton say "Youv'e still got it Teddy boy"

Theres plenty more but thats enough for now.

Originally posted by localyokel

Training sessions in the '70s and '80s were also great.
One time I was playing kick-to-kick with a mate and EJ and Charlie Sutton were standing about 50 metres away looking at a piece of paper. The footy went over my head and bounced towards where the two great men stood. I yelled "Hey mate can you kick the ball back" and Whitten, without even looking up, threw his foot out sideways and kicked the ball. It came at me like a tracer bullet travelled the forty or so metres at about chest height and knocked me on my arse on impact.
I struggled to my feet and Whitten and Sutton were having a huge giggle and I heard Sutton say "Youv'e still got it Teddy boy"

Theres plenty more but thats enough for now.

local, this is the kind of story that must be handed down to the young supporters today. As I said in my post, I'm just glad that I was able to begin following the Doggies at a time rather removed from today's 'modern' footy. Don't get me wrong, the skills and pace of the game are much better now. However, I don't know if I'd be so enamored with the game itself and its atmosphere without the background I've had. Somehow sitting in a covered arena in mid-July with the roof closed just doesn't make it with me. Devotion and loyalty acquired through adversity mean far too much to me! God, I'm sounding like my old man now talking about WWII!:eek:

I had a marvelous time listening to Herb Henderson who I had the privilege to meet last June. His stories and memories of times before I followed the Doggies were fantastic.

What I'd like to see is a thread devoted to purely personal stories about interaction with the club, the players and fellow supporters. And that includes the young ones who post on this site. Their stories may not be as "ancient" as some of us old timers, but their richness in Bulldog memories is as important as any of ours. Of course, any mention of the Players Review extravaganza would have to be heavily censored I'm sure!;) :D

I once thought about writing down the story about my involvement with the Bulldogs, but have never gotten around to even outlining what I might write. I'm not sure if a compendium of stories by a foreigner writing about a nation's 'religion' would be of interest to too many! Hmmm..... maybe it could become part of the VCE English curriculum! I know I've had to teach some boring material, but something like that might even put me to sleep!:D

Great post, Local. Brought a tear to my eye, as well as making me laugh. My step-son will be grinning too, as he is just old enough to remember the old days at the WO.

I first started taking him when he was five, and I would stand at the Barkly St end and he was small enough to sit on my shoulders the whole game. (That's hard to believe seeing him now). He's now a one-eyed Doggies supporter carrying on the tradition.

Another story ....
I worked as a paper boy at Taubman's paint factory in McIntyre Rd, North Sunshine from 1972. Every day the men would line up and stand by the clock at 4:55 to clock off, and I would await with my pile of 50-odd Heralds. They would sell for 2 cents back then, and later would go up to 4 cents. I hated it when it got to 4 cents because the tips were only 1 cent from the change.

However, there were a couple of men who knew how much these tips would mean to young boy, and they would throw me a 10-cent piece and say "Keep the change, mate" without making a big deal. I would be rapt, and say, "Thanks very much, mate", as I would not even know their names. One man in particular stands out in my memories. When the others would be giving me 5 cents, this long-haired fellow in a chemist's lab coat would throw me a 20-cent piece and not say a word. I loved him!

This would go on for another few years until I was 15 years-old or so, without much said. I left Taubman's to sell papers elsewhere, but have never forgotton this bloke. Years later, it occurred to me that he was someone who should have been familiar. Yes, it was Laurie Sandilands. I would be sitting there for those years, reading the sports pages and the wrap-up of the weekend's games, and not even realise that a hero of mine was right before me.

I've often thought of calling him to tell him how much these little gestures can shape childrens' views on the world.

1. v ESSENDON 1985 (7 goals in 11 minutes in the 3rd Quarter)

2. v WEST COAST 1997 (26500 people, 11 degrees, raining, ran out of beer at the ground by half time)

3. v CARLTON 1977 (35,000 people,atmosphere was electric, ground full by 12.30)

4. v HAWTHORN 1981 (8 goals to none in the last quarter. At the time we were down the bottom, Hawthorn were near top of the ladder)

5. v ESSENDON 1978 ??? My memory is not that good, I know it was late 70's (9 goals down, came back to win by 15 points)

6. v WEST COAST 1992 (Almost kept them goalless)

7. v CARLTON Early 90's ( Carlton's only goal a suspect free to Arceri late in the last quarter)

I have just realised my memory is not was it used to be. I can remember the games, the goals, the marks, the tackles. I can't remember the years. Anyway this is close enough. A lot of my memories are from the social club after the games.

Was this in 1982?

I remember such a win, and I was on bivouac with the Air Force. My Flight Sergeant and I sang the club song around the campfire at full voice (after an ale or two) during the evening''s "talent quest."
Originally posted by SCRAY72
4. v HAWTHORN 1981 (8 goals to none in the last quarter. At the time we were down the bottom, Hawthorn were near top of the ladder)

Like you guys a lot of memories. One that seems to stand out was in the early-to-mid 80s. We were getting to the end of that trot where we only won 3 games or so a year. I think Royce Hart had been sacked early in the year and our ruckman Big Bluey Hampshire was also our Coach. We beat Geelong and The Pieman kicked 12 and got chaired off. I can still see the newspaper photo of Bluey standing in the players race with his players 'gown', watching the last mintues intently. I certainly remember the roar when we won and the people carrying the Pieman off the ground.

Actually that may be an amalgam of memories but it'll do. I loved going to the ground when we were going well. I appreciated it so much more after growing up in a period of 3 wins a year (Melb, Stk & Fitzroy were usually our fellow cellar-dwellers and we always had a chance against Haw & Ess).

Another memory. The game against Melbourne in 1981 was close and decided by Robert Flower taking a mark in the goalsquare and kicking a goal just before the end of the game. Wins were a bit scarce that year and we were both sitting at the Geelong Road end and swearing under our breath as the ground emptied when I looked around at my mate and he was actually crying. I must have looked at him in a funny way because he turned to me and said "I'm not crying, I've just got something in my eye" and got up and walked away.

Another highlight was Brian Royal limping out onto the ground pre game to wave to the crowd after he had done his knee the week before. His career was over and the fans just wanted to say goodbye to a guy who had been a fantastic player. He didnt want to come out at first but Peter Foster and Terry Wheeler virtually dragged him out. He got about halfway onto the ground, turned and the crowd just went up as one to acclaim him. I happened to be on the ground nearby and I have never heard a roar like it. Royal had tears streaming down his face as he walked back to his spot. Its a tragedy he is no longer involved at the club.

The biggest shame of all this is that I will never get to take my own kids to a game at the footy ground. Oh well we still have training I guess.

I also have a few memories of Moorabbin;

In 1983 we came back from 39 points down at 3/4 time to snatch victory with the last kick of the day. Great I hear you all say, but not so great if you happened to be sitting in the Huggins stand, which housed all the St Kilda social club members and is where a teenage Local was sitting with a couple of friends. We hightailed it out of there whooping with delight and found ourselves in the animal enclosure, out of the frying pan and into the fire.
We only just made it out alive.

The next year it rained and rained and me and my two mates had to take refuge under an upturned coke counter. Geez we got thrashed.

Originally posted by localyokel

I also have a few memories of Moorabbin;

In 1983 we came back from 39 points down at 3/4 time to snatch victory with the last kick of the day. Great I hear you all say, but not so great if you happened to be sitting in the Huggins stand, which housed all the St Kilda social club members and is where a teenage Local was sitting with a couple of friends. We hightailed it out of there whooping with delight and found ourselves in the animal enclosure, out of the frying pan and into the fire.
We only just made it out alive.

The next year it rained and rained and me and my two mates had to take refuge under an upturned coke counter. Geez we got thrashed.

I think I was in the animal enclosure that day! I remember going to Moorabbin with a fellow teacher and his family who were one-eyed Saints supporters. We had an early lunch at his house in Glen Waverley beforehand and headed off to the ground. It must have been that match because I remember they weren't too friendly with me afterwards! I used to love the crowd trying to get through that narrow alleyway near the ground back to Moorabbin Station. Can't believe no one was ever crushed to death in the haste to catch the next train back to Flinders Street!

Chicago reminded me that I was there the night Templeton won the Brownlow - a magic moment!
Another special one was the gathering in 89 to save the club from merging - Gallimberti addressing the sombre crowd from a stage and microphone on the ground, Irene Chatfield given an ovation and Super's rendition of American Pie.
Graham Allan's pass to Beasley was great - and Jim Edmond giving Allan some good advice after that.
Channel 7 did a clip of various players which included Beasley being chaired off after one game, to the music of 'The Wind Beneath My Wings' which was memorable.

Who knows there might be more to come one day, teams like the Dogs and Saints might have to head back to suburbs (the REAL suburbs, not Pigsar$e Park)for low attendance games, the Saints were thinking about Junction oval and i'd be there like a shot for an Dogs v Eagles or Dockers game at the Whitten Oval, with any luck something like that is part of Campbell Rose's number crunching.

memories

Any win at the Western Oval. I would meet friends in front of the E J Whitten Stand. (we put a cross on the asphalt as to where we stood) We would proceed to drink during the game becoming more obnoxious and one eyed as the day wore on. After the game we would walk to the Albert Hotel for more refreshments and take it in turns to go across the road to buy the fish'n'chips. We would conduct our post mortems of the game. The same people each week would be around us at the game and at the pub.
Anyway a few years later a couple we used to go to the footy with got married and we proceeded to the spot in front of the EJ Whitten Stand, found the black cross and had wedding photos taken while in different poses. One was pretending to cheers the doggies on. We continued the tradition at Optus but alas time moves on we we all have different spots at Colonial.
It has been great thinking back and they certainly were the "Wonder Years."

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Oval memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Back