Competition "What If" Wednesdays - Time Traveller Sneezes Edition: Week 20 - Hawthorn relocate to Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to ...

wiw-ttse.png

Marty McFly has done himself a mischief and has altered the course of Aussie footy in ways you can't imagine!
Get ready to dive into alternate futures!

What is “What If” Wednesdays?
"What if" Wednesdays was a competition comprised of real-life football team proposals, merger propositions, former teams and a few hypotheticals brought to life by the FJGD community (eg. If the Melbourne-Hawthorn merger went ahead, if University/Fitzroy/Bris Bears stuck around, if Gold Coasts nickname were the Lifesavers etc.) it became this boards longest running competition (8/9/14 – 29/5/19). It has been revived under a meme cultured spin-off! Time traveller sneezes memes are all about butterfly effects on various things caused by a time traveller altering the past by means of a simple sneeze.

What’s new this time around?
This time or these times around, we will be flung into various timelines where our universes former teams, mergers, relocation proposals never existed or had its outcome altered slightly or severely! The list below is comprised of alternate timelines and the butterfly effect caused by our cheeky time traveller. Your job is to envision this outcome! Each comp will run for 1 week and the poll will run for 3 days. The winner picks the next team from the list below or can use their one-time self-imposed idea where they put forward an idea not listed below.

There are some routes you can go by if you're stuck:
  • The chosen team has entered their designated competition in the current year (unless specified) along with the current teams OR​
  • You may design kits at any point in time unless strictly specified OR​
  • Accompany your kits with a backstory on how the team came to be to help better envision the outcome​
  • Use Google to search the history and stories behind what is being altered​
Bare minimum for an entry is:
  • A home kit with the front of the jumper showing
    (Back, shorts, socks are optional)​
  • OPTIONAL Away kit (Home with white shorts is acceptable)​
  • OPTIONAL 3rd kit
    • Clash kit​
    • Heritage kit​
    • Other kit​
  • OPTIONAL Club Logo (Highly Encouraged!)

Let’s see what has happened this time
What-If-TTSE-Title-Week-20.png
Our Timeline: Hawthorn decline merger with Melbourne
Altered Timeline: Hawthorn opts to relocate to Canberra​

Basic Rules (Read Carefully):
  1. Kits and Logo must be in 1 picture (Makes polls easier to fit everything in)
  2. The kits can consist of just a Jumper (Shorts and socks are encouraged to give a full identity effect)
  3. Minimum 1 kit and there's no limit to how many kits you can include after that
    eg. Home and Away and/or Clash and/or Heritage and/or Others
    1. Designing a Home and away/clash kit is highly encouraged for that authentic feel and to develop that alternate universe experience
  4. Attempt to stay close to the altered timeline
  5. Directly copying current football team kits/logos are not allowed
  6. Creating a logo is encouraged but you may take inspiration from and/or alter any existing sports logo to drive home your design.
  7. Maximum 2 entries per person
  8. Any questions at all, please ask!
Specific Category Rules:

Relocations Rules

1. You are only bound by the location the said team is moving to (eg. South Melbourne’s move to Sydney where they changed their kits more reflect the location)
  2. Take inspiration from the location and display that in the kits/logo in as big or as little as you like
  3. Unchanged kits, names and logos will not be accepted

Alternate timeline categories
Bold - Completed with poll results

Mergers
Relocations
League transfers
New Teams
Colour Corner
Specials

What-if-wednesdays-time-traveller-sneezes-Honour-Roll-Week-20.png

trying to place what year this would be so i have an idea of what template to use
There are some routes you can go by if you're stuck:
  • The chosen team has entered their designated competition in the current year (unless specified) along with the current teams OR​
  • You may design kits at any point in time unless strictly specified OR​
  • Accompany your kits with a backstory on how the team came to be to help better envision the outcome​
  • Use Google to search the history and stories behind what is being altered​

This suggestion came with no year so this one takes place whenever you like :thumbsu:

will right a bio when i get to it for this still coming up with it, this was the first thing that came to my head adding the blue from their preseason kit and linking it to canberra for a new era but bringing back the number box

Wow, great minds think alike, I'm in the middle of conjuring up ideas and mine is pretty much yours with the blue and brown swapped (collars, cuffs, vee and number). Here's a quick screenshot. It just makes sense to include Hawthorns old blue combined with yellow/gold to make a link to Canberra by reviving their 1912 jumper. Back to brainstorming!
HawksCanberraIdea.png

WIW-TTSE---Hawthorn-to-Canberra.png

With the prospect of merging with Melbourne on the horizon, Hawthorn sought alternatives to keep their club afloat. Averaging only 11k members in the last 4 years, the board looked to capitalise on an untapped footy market. They proposed a relocation to the capital, with options running low a decision was made prior to the 1996 season where Hawthorn would announce the relocation to Canberra. Looking to appeal to the state, they reverted to their first ever kits with navy and stylised braces in the old Hawthorn colours and a golden shield number panel to help with a few clashes and really stand out. The combination of blue and gold provided the fitting link to the states colours

Inspired by the idea of Pittsburgh PA having the same colours for all their professional sports teams, the Hawks decided to adopt the colours of the Canberra Raiders, an idea which would later be copied by the city's A-League expansion team. Time travelers may notice the design of the Canberra Hawks jumper has a resemblance to a certain team who has ties to Canberra in this universe. There is however no mistaking the classic Hawthorn design on the back of the jumper which pays homage to the club once from Victoria.
Canberra Hawks.png

I'm not really a graphic designer, and if I tried to do this, it would probably take me about a month. I'll be busting my a** on my phone to try and do something equivalent to my idea. But I just can't, so here's the idea and if someone wants to do it, great. If not, no worries.

Background colour #fbbf15, simplified duotone image of Australian Alps landscape (similar to photo but with snow on top in brown #4D2004 and white stretching from bottom of jumper to halfway up.

Simplified duotone of hawk in flight (similar to photo, same two colours as mointains, but with golden eye) above mountain peaks.

White cuffs and collar. Gold back with brown spire of parliament house replacing traditional brown stripes at bottom. White number box with brown numbers.

Brown shorts and trad socks.

That's it, sorry that's the best I can do. MA52743748-Canberra-1200w.jpg spotted-harrier.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not really a graphic designer, and if I tried to do this, it would probably take me about a month. I'll be busting my a** on my phone to try and do something equivalent to my idea. But I just can't, so here's the idea and if someone wants to do it, great. If not, no worries.

Background colour #fbbf15, simplified duotone image of Australian Alps landscape (similar to photo but with snow on top in brown #4D2004 and white stretching from bottom of jumper to halfway up.

Simplified duotone of hawk in flight (similar to photo, same two colours as mointains, but with golden eye) above mountain peaks.

White cuffs and collar. Gold back with brown spire of parliament house replacing traditional brown stripes at bottom. White number box with brown numbers.

Brown shorts and trad socks.

That's it, sorry that's the best I can do.View attachment 2046507View attachment 2046508
I suggest giving the Template Thread a sus, everyone started with little to no knowledge on graphic design but through persistence and creativity, the only way is up and these entries are proof. There are templates that are suited for MS Paint to get the ball rolling!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back