Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Iron Claw

Best wrestling movie I’ve ever seen. Didn’t know the story of the Von Erich’s. Pretty gut wrenching stuff. Great performances all round by the cast too.

8.5/10
I stopped halfway through

It couldnt hold me more than the desire for a nap

I also just felt Efron was too old playing the young KVE

I will get back to it

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles (1975) - a screening of this came up and a friend was going to see it on my recommendation, but with much trepidation based on its description so I went along for a rewatch to prove I wasn’t taking the piss. Must admit I wasn’t in the mood for a 3 1/2 hour chunk of slow cinema, but it’s such a great film that I got into the mood pretty quickly. On previous watches I’ve always felt the length (which isn’t a criticism), but this time it flew by. I really focused on Delphine Seyrig’s performance and how her manner changes over the three days, and it really is one of the all time great performances. My friend loved it too, so happy to win a convert to Jeanne Dielmania.

Megalopolis - there’s a lot to unpack here. I really enjoyed this experience, but this to me very much transcended good and bad. The politics of this film are quite odd and remind you that Coppola has been a very rich man for a very long time. He’s throwing a lot out there, a lot of it doesn’t stick but the parts that do really inspire awe. I loved Jon Voight in this, which feels like a sentence I’ve not said in a long time. A lot of people will hate this, and I can’t blame them for that, but I went all in on the artistic expression of a crazy old man and had a good time.

Megalopolis - there’s a lot to unpack here. I really enjoyed this experience, but this to me very much transcended good and bad. The politics of this film are quite odd and remind you that Coppola has been a very rich man for a very long time. He’s throwing a lot out there, a lot of it doesn’t stick but the parts that do really inspire awe. I loved Jon Voight in this, which feels like a sentence I’ve not said in a long time. A lot of people will hate this, and I can’t blame them for that, but I went all in on the artistic expression of a crazy old man and had a good time.

Something must have gone badly wrong with marketing and distribution. I contacted Village. Of their 23 cinemas they are only planning to show it at the Jam Factory, Knox, Rivoli and Southland. It seems like Hoyts isn't showing it anywhere in the country.

The Sun in Yarraville is showing it three times a day so I might do that. Or is it worth a trip to IMAX?

Something must have gone badly wrong with marketing and distribution. I contacted Village. Of their 23 cinemas they are only planning to show it at the Jam Factory, Knox, Rivoli and Southland. It seems like Hoyts isn't showing it anywhere in the country.

The Sun in Yarraville is showing it three times a day so I might do that. Or is it worth a trip to IMAX?
He couldn't convince any distributors to take on the film after the initial screener. Apparently there was awkward silence at the end of the movie :D

Rebel Ridge - Saulnier has cornered the market in small spaces high impact films. Wish he wasn't making them for Netflix so they could be seen in a cinema, but the effect still works. Seen Aaron Pierre in a few things before this to know that he's got it. Might get pigeonholed into action type roles after this, but he's got the range to do it all. A few unnecessary character subplots aside, a cuttingly well made film. 8/10

The Substance - Interesting that between Coralie Fargeat and Julia Ducournau the next wave of body horror cinema is coming from a couple of French women. Props to Demi Moore going for it, but ultimately what the Substance lacks...is substance. Requiem for a Dream esque style in favour of anything particularly interesting to say about an aging starlet (of which there have been much better films).

The same could be said for Farget's debut Revenge, but that played the rape revenge trope with extremity more effectively. The final act is a riot, fun to experience, but almost done purely for the visceral show. 6/10

Megalopolis - It's a no from me dawg. Everything in this film was so wild that it actually took me out of it. Though I laughed at how the fourth wall breaking moment almost seemed normal. Maybe needed it to be more grander, more experimental. Ol' Francis can do whatever he wants with his money, we should get 10 more of these instead of more worn out IP. Dunno, maybe in a couple of years with the right edibles, this one will hit.

It’s going to be an enormous flop, unfortunately.

I thought the visuals were (sometimes) impressive, but I don’t think IMAX is necessary - most of it wasn’t filmed in IMAX, after all. I don’t want to spoil for people who don’t know, but I think the independent cinemas are showing the film as it was at the Cannes premiere while IMAX isn’t, necessarily, so I’d go the Sun.

It’s going to be an enormous flop, unfortunately.

I thought the visuals were (sometimes) impressive, but I don’t think IMAX is necessary - most of it wasn’t filmed in IMAX, after all. I don’t want to spoil for people who don’t know, but I think the independent cinemas are showing the film as it was at the Cannes premiere while IMAX isn’t, necessarily, so I’d go the Sun.
The Astor has it for a week too, if you want a larger screen experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back