When did Adelaide change?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know anyone who has swapped AFL clubs. I only know 1 Power supporter who wasn't a Port Magpies supporter. My kids and basically everyone I knows kids follow the same club as their parents. I know kids who support Port, but not any Crows supporters kids. None.

Aren't Port aiming to build their supporter base is Sydney and China anyway? Oh, and who drives a freakin Renault?:p
I bought a Renault about 6 months before they signed up as Port's sponsor.

If only they warned me ;)

I'm sure you'd have the same cavalier attitude toward the "humour" if someone paraded at a right-wing rally with a "Kill Gillard" placard....?

Yes, the Kill Abbott sign was in bad taste.

There were systematic attacks on Gillard throughout her period as leader by the Murdoch press, many of which were hateful and misogynistic, but probably none that literally called for her to be killed.

Personally, I would have no problem supporting the Liberal Party if Turnbull was leading them (terrible planning on the NBN aside), but Abbott is the kind of leader that I feel can only take a country backwards. I think his negativity and prejudice plays to an old fashioned narrow-mindedness in Australia that we've been slow to move past.

That's the last political statement of the night.

Yeah, pretty widely, though it depends on the field.

Conservative thinking arguably predisposes you to certain vocations. Every vocation draws from particular educational backgrounds. That's not a very controversial opinion.

It's getting late so I won't do much of a google, but this (old-ish) article from the Australian comes up first on a search.

http://www.cis.org.au/media-informa...cle/593-growth-in-labor-support-its-academic-

Anyway, some if those views might be a bit old-fashioned, like "women want to vote for the coalition". I'm on campuses for work a lot and there is certainly a vast number of educated, left-wing voters there, but maybe their voting slowly moves more towards the right with time.

Yeah, pretty widely, though it depends on the field.

Hmmm not sure I'm convinced. Your inference is left = smart

Conservative thinking arguably predisposes you to certain vocations. Every vocation draws from particular educational backgrounds. That's not a very controversial opinion.

I think this is true by institution too.

The best institutions are filled with privately educated students due to differences in social backgrounds and educational quality.

Arguing that people from such backgrounds are likely to be left leaning is a stretch

In terms of left = smart this would run counter. The vast flotsam of people doing nothing degrees, not showering, or getting their hair cut & hanging out in Che Guevara t-shirts holding right on protests outside the tavern might be a bit lefty.

Not sure how many law, medicine or commerce graduates are calling on the revolution.

And in terms of smart = left, I would not count weight of numbers of people doing media studies as equivalent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm. Not sure what your point is? That you get some odd signs at a rally?

None of those we're misspelled. Maybe the sense of humor isn't for everyone but that's hardly evidence of lack of education.

That the majority of university graduates have left wing views is pretty much supported by evidence. That most of that March were uni graduates would have been my guess. I wouldn't assume that's true of Ports supporter base, which is where this conversation started.
marcfrhff_thumb.jpg

marchhitler_thumb.png

marchabort_thumb.png

march_fasc_thumb.png

If that's their sense of humour then they're pretty messed up. To be expected from a bunch of ****ing hippies I guess.

Those signs are disgraceful and typical of the militant left. They then feign outrage when there is a "ditch the witch sign".

The left is all for freedom of speech as long as its their opinion your speaking out in favour of.

If not they bully and harass until you do. They are far more of a threat to democracy that right wing conservatives

End rant

Those signs are disgraceful and typical of the militant left. They then feign outrage when there is a "ditch the witch sign".

The left is all for freedom of speech as long as its their opinion your speaking out in favour of.

If not they bully and harass until you do. They are far more of a threat to democracy that right wing conservatives

End rant

For a group of people that has spent generations preaching about the sanctity of tolerance, they sure have a massive blind-spot to their own intolerance.

Whilst a number of the signs were obviously inappropriate, I think what is evident is that a large number of Tories still don't get what was so inappropriate about abbott being photographed in front of that sign.

Don't you think this can be applied to all sides of politics too?

For a group of people that has spent generations preaching about the sanctity of tolerance, they sure have a massive blind-spot to their own intolerance.

I think it's very fair to say the 'tolerant left' is a myth.

Whilst a number of the signs were obviously inappropriate, I think what is evident is that a large number of Tories still don't get what was so inappropriate about abbott being photographed in front of that sign.

The double standard, clearly, is that rally signs calling for the assassination of Gillard, or the "****ing" of Gillard, would have brought the country to a grinding halt for days.

The Crows and Geelong would be wearing pink tonight. We'd be having a minute's silence before the game. Five thousand seats would have been given to the white-ribbon organization. We'd be tossing a commemorative coin. And worst of all, Sam Lane would be invited on.

Actually, she probably still will be.

The double standard, clearly, is that rally signs calling for the assassination of Gillard, or the "*******" of Gillard, would have brought the country to a grinding halt for days.

The Crows and Geelong would be wearing pink tonight. We'd be having a minute's silence before the game. Five thousand seats would have been given to the white-ribbon organization. We'd be tossing a commemorative coin. And worst of all, Sam Lane would be invited on.

Actually, she probably still will be.

Yeah, it's exactly the same.

Other than the missing piece of specific oppression which was identified, but other than that....

Remove this Banner Ad

When did Adelaide change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back