When did Adelaide change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your very first line is so full of arrogance. Even if we had 60000 members we should be marketing the club. Its not really about what we have its about what we could have. Port had sweat FA two years ago and now we are complaining that they are getting a free ride from the press. Lets face it they are doing a job on us. Rather than focus on what Port have got and where they are we need to focus on what we are trying to achieve because if all we do is focus on beating Port we will always be second rate but perhaps that's OK because we might still be able to hang our hat on saying "we are the best team in SA". This wont win us a premiership. We must be the best in all of Aust

Now what do we have to do to make that a reality?? One sure fire way is to win games and get the public excited by our performance.

We only have a stadium that hold 53,500 people. I think i read somewhere that we have 38,000 full paid memberships, leaving ~ 15,000 seats for traveling supporters packages (5000) and 3 game memberships for the rest. Any marketing dollars spent in the Adelaide market is just wasted revenue.

The money spent to gain any extra members won't be a return on the investment; it won't become a financial gain. It's wasted money. Our brand in this market is strong enough, we don't need to spend anymore. Yet

What we do need to do is develop some free and positive marketing opportunities to portray a side of the club to entice people who are interested to buy a membership.

However, you do make a very good point (in your next post) that we don't do all that well at the moment, we need to market the club in non south Australia markets. Start spending on money on increasing our membership numbers in Perth, Queensland, Sydney and the 6 game membership in the heartland of football - Victoria. We should set an objective every year to gain 1500 new members in each market to expat south Aussies living in those states.

That will quickly take the membership base from 52,000 to 60,000 very quickly.

How can I not be serious? A State coach, a premiership coach, 300-odd games of SANFL footy and a Hall of Fame member. I respect his knowledge of footy like I respect Russell Ebert's - because he's got footy credibility.

You may not like what he says and the way he snipes at people, but he's got credibility.

Don't worry.

They only like and enjoy reading sycophantic comments about that club. But then again, so do many on this board.

Hence why Bone isn't a person many enjoy listening to.

Anyone who dares say a bad word about either club, instantly loses all credibility as he must be a hater. A hater gotta hate.

Wins

Port had wins last year. Media fap.

We has wins in 2012. Media fap.

Win a few games, perception changes. We need to get on with football and win.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Obviously that's a factor, but even when Port were winning, most of the State still hated them, and had no enthusiasm for their success.

That's changed.

I can't help but keep referring to that membership ad of ours, with the '19th man' singing the Club song with the team.

It was dismal.

I think you're on the money, the Crows are relying on the old guard to keep pumping them up in the media, meanwhile Ports media department has stepped up their game (along with the rest of the club). Ports announcements since it's leadership changed have been big and flashy, and they've engaged the media and fans through social media with things like the 5 re-signings in 5 days announcements. The Crows announcements have been.... for want of a better word...... boring. Port's shitness over the last few season has made your mob a little complacent, now that we're an up and coming shiny exciting young club who turned our fortunes right around the media and AFL community is jumping on the bandwagon a little, and your guys need to step it up to keep up.

you forgot est 1870
Say what? I thought you guys were established in 1870?:p

Unfortunately much of what you said is true.:(

LOL I thought the same - freudian slip. He'll be banned from the "port power est 1870" board for that little misdemeanor. Yeah I agree with alot of what he says too but I disagree that we have only been complacent the last few years - we have been complacent for a decade.

It started around when Mcarthy died.

Not uncommon, ive seen a few, 01, 02, 04, 07 and now, us winning the 97/98 flags was a huge blow to them.

This current one speaks for itself really though, they won both showdowns last year, played finals, rookie coach feel good story like sando in '12, played finals, high profile manager, burgess, membership records and polec...compared to tippet gate, no finals, tex injury.

Mark my words they will get blown away this year, they will not play finals and then the neanderthals wont show up to AO. BANK IT.
This is the worst post on BigFooty. Congratulations.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously that's a factor, but even when Port were winning, most of the State still hated them, and had no enthusiasm for their success.

That's changed.

I can't help but keep referring to that membership ad of ours, with the '19th man' singing the Club song with the team.

It was dismal.

Has it?? Maybe interstate where they couldn't give 2 shits about a local club from SA.

But not in this state.

Most of the state still hates them.

What we have here though is the classic vocal minority, talking up their own importance. I don't know one single Crows or neutral supporting South Aussie footy fan that actually has enthusiasm for their success. Their improvement is acknowledged, but I wouldn't say anyone's enthused by it.

State Jumpergate is the most recent event to highlight this. All we heard was about the backlash, the outrage, the state has spoken.

Reality was we had a dozen or so Port people standing on the soapbox repeating the same thing over and over again, screened calls and messages to the media outlets, one sided reporting from the same people on the same soapbox to reinforce their own opinion, and a handful of ex-state/Crows players that didn't like it.

The vast majority either liked it, or more than likely didn't actually care enough to comment.

The ad was ordinary though.

It's pathetic even worrying about. The entire thread should be a sub-thread in the 'trigg resign' thread. Why have the media turned against us and embraced port? Well, effing duh!! We're piss-easy to beat up on because we screw up often and we don't/can't fight back. What bad news story could you possibly write about port since a few rounds in last year. And outside of a potential record membership, which is mired in a multi level discussion about 'what is a membership', what good news has been available to write about from the afc. Has danger, sloane or talia extended? Ffs, get a grip and accept the current low that we find ourselves in. Both as a club and especially compared to our mortal enemies.

It's pathetic even worrying about. The entire thread should be a sub-thread in the 'trigg resign' thread. Why have the media turned against us and embraced port? Well, effing duh!! We're piss-easy to beat up on because we screw up often and we don't/can't fight back. What bad news story could you possibly write about port since a few rounds in last year. And outside of a potential record membership, which is mired in a multi level discussion about 'what is a membership', what good news has been available to write about from the afc. Has danger, sloane or talia extended? Ffs, get a grip and accept the current low that we find ourselves in. Both as a club and especially compared to our mortal enemies.

But, you have acknowledged that we might be our own worst enemy.

That is what concerns people. And it's a legitimate concern.

But, you have acknowledged that we might be our own worst enemy.

That is what concerns people. And it's a legitimate concern.

That's why it belongs in trigg thread. It's not a conspiracy perpetrated by port friendly media. It's the reality of where we are at as a club. That won't change unless the footy dept somehow bucks the trend of the management culture or the senior management (board included) is replaced en masse.

Maybe you're right. Attack the management culture from another angle. Even f4e or Jen can't disagree with where we find ourselves in the media sense. Even crap will find it hard.

i couldn t care less about what gets pumped up in the media... i wanna go watch the crows whether they are winning or losing.
if port were top of the ladder and we were last... id still go to the showdown and id wear my tri hoops with pride.
A bunch of fair weather power fans in the media getting wet over a 12 win season can fap all they want.

That's why it belongs in trigg thread. It's not a conspiracy perpetrated by port friendly media. It's the reality of where we are at as a club. That won't change unless the footy dept somehow bucks the trend of the management culture or the senior management (board included) is replaced en masse.

Maybe you're right. Attack the management culture from another angle. Even f4e or Jen can't disagree with where we find ourselves in the media sense. Even crap will find it hard.

I think in this context, it's as much about fatigue - we've had the same people in the same positions for too long (forget the arguably disastrous decisions some of them have made) and we've become stale.

We need fresh blood, fresh faces, fresh eyes and new ideas. New energy and enthusiasm.

I think the state jumper saga gave an insight into the way we under estimate the power and their connections in the media.
Nigel Smart was doing nothing more than trying to sell a concept - That the AFC are the rightfull heirs to SANFL heritage ahead of those Johnny cum lately's. He was only half joking when replying to that question regarding the reaction from the PAFC.
While Nigel might have gotten away with that in the past, Kochie was never going to let that one slip through. Smart's plan of spicing up the showdown turned into a righteous whinge fest involving past "proud" state football champions (who by the way turned down opportunities to return home to SA by choosing to stay with their Victorian clubs) lead by those kings of breakfast media and morning rags Kochie and the Rooch. (Sounds like a cheap 70s buddy movie)
Unfortunately for us as supporters of the AFC this shows the widening gap between our two clubs for celebrity star power. Nigel Smart was simply no Match for "The" most loved national morning TV host and the Advertisers chief football writer.
By comparison we have no one that has their influence on a national level. Rooch has access to all the Murdoch rags around the country. His articles were read in NSW the following day with the AFC looking like a mob of arrogant pricks thumbing our noses at the battling and saintly PAFC.
They did a job on the AFC that should jolt us into a far more professional approach to how we handle the media.

Our media presence was fine in 2012 when we were winning... heck, our win against NM last year got a 10min segment on AFL360 that following Monday, and another 10min on OTC. There were only 4 games on the weekend, of course the Port win was going to get more coverage this week.

Wait for the 'Where are Port at?' thread to be started mid-season on the MB after a couple of losses, it happens after expectation increases (like it did after our 2012 and subsequent poorish 2013, which wasn't that much worse than Port's, but who doesn't love a team coming from 5 years of no finals to finals?).

Our media presence is fine, nobody gives a shit outside of Adelaide about the Tippett saga since the Essendon drugs story broke. The penalties are over, move on.

I just want footy back, I'm sick of this shit repeating itself in nearly every thread on our board atm!

I think the state jumper saga gave an insight into the way we under estimate the power and their connections in the media.
Nigel Smart was doing nothing more than trying to sell a concept - That the AFC are the rightfull heirs to SANFL heritage ahead of those Johnny cum lately's. He was only half joking when replying to that question regarding the reaction from the PAFC.
While Nigel might have gotten away with that in the past, Kochie was never going to let that one slip through. Smart's plan of spicing up the showdown turned into a righteous whinge fest involving past "proud" state football champions (who by the way turned down opportunities to return home to SA by choosing to stay with their Victorian clubs) lead by those kings of breakfast media and morning rags Kochie and the Rooch. (Sounds like a cheap 70s buddy movie)
Unfortunately for us as supporters of the AFC this shows the widening gap between our two clubs for celebrity star power. Nigel Smart was simply no Match for "The" most loved national morning TV host and the Advertisers chief football writer.
By comparison we have no one that has their influence on a national level. Rooch has access to all the Murdoch rags around the country. His articles were read in NSW the following day with the AFC looking like a mob of arrogant pricks thumbing our noses at the battling and saintly PAFC.
They did a job on the AFC that should jolt us into a far more professional approach to how we handle the media.
It's definitely an incident the club can learn from, but having an outspoken President does bite you on the bum at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

When did Adelaide change?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back