doggmannx

Debutant
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere over the rainbo
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Reds/Magic/Cowboys
The game where Gary Ablett kicked a goal against Collingwood and the commentator (Sandy Roberts?) said "GAry Ablett what more can you say!" I know it was in '89 but i would like to know what round cos I'm thinking of getting for the old man for Xmas.

Would Name-a-Game still have it?

doggmannx said:
The game where Gary Ablett kicked a goal against Collingwood and the commentator (Sandy Roberts?) said "GAry Ablett what more can you say!" I know it was in '89 but i would like to know what round cos I'm thinking of getting for the old man for Xmas.

Would Name-a-Game still have it?

It looks like Rounds 10 and 17 of 89 were Collingwood V Geelong. Round 10 Geelong (away) by 66, Round 17 Collingwood (away) by 17. AFL's website has that info.

It was definintely the Round 10 game (in the middle of our 9 game winning streak). Senior kicked 7 that day. The only good news for my brothers (both Collingwood) that day was when Warwick Capper kicked a goal from 50 for Brisbane to beat Carlton at Princes Park - got Jezza the sack!

Mr Sensitive said:
was that the highlight where he gets the ball near the wing and goes for a run and kicks a goal from fifty and slides in the mud??

It certainly was. I watched that game from the 2nd level of the Ponsford Stand - as it was then called - right behind the goals. During Ablett's last quarter rampage (he kicked another goal from a brilliant one-handed mark after the one you mention) I saw Collingwood supporters all around shaking their heads and applauding.

Very, very enjoyable day that was.

Remove this Banner Ad

When Was?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back