Mister_A

The Mayor
Jun 26, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne AFLW
I've been debating this with a few friends. Roughly half of us think that a Grand Final should be played wherever the higher finisher of the last two teams has their home ground, and the other half think it would be best at the MCG like it is every year now. We also had one guy suggest a neutral venue for fairness, but we kind of bushed him off fairly quickly.

Just wanted to hear some debate for what you guys think.

Wouldn't be able to get enough people in any other stadium apart from the MCG. The AFL will never change it

Who ever wants played the Grand Final played outside the MCG is a fool. Imagine a grand final with 25,000 people able to attend.

We play a compromised competition. I would like to see it more even. Playing the GF on the top teams home ground make sense from a fair competition point of view. MCG GFs are a serious impediment to interstate sides winning a flag and give Vic clubs a big leg up.

I know this will never hapeen for commercial reasons but it's what's fairest

I like the idea of higher finisher, but that also depends on who wins the first final etc and thus which route is taken to the GF, not just ladder position at the end of the H&A. But as others have pointed out, the logistics would be a problem and mostly, the stadiums need to at least have a comparable capacity to the MCG.

One thing I reckon though, is that if they're going to play the big one at the 'G' then there needs to be a more equitable spread of H&A games with every club getting a minimum quota, irrespective of drawing power. Hardly going to happen though, as attendance/money hold more importance to the AFL hierarchy than the comps integrity.

MCG GFs are a serious impediment to interstate sides winning a flag and give Vic clubs a big leg up.

91 - Hawthorn def West Coast
92 - West Coast def Geelong
94 - West Coast def Geelong
96 - North def Sydney
97 - Adelaide def St Kilda
98 - Adelaide def North
01 - Brisbane def Essendon
02/03 Brisbane def Collingwood
07 - Geelong def Port Adelaide

In 10 grand finals between Victorian and Interstate sides, the interstate side has won 7 grand finals.

If you're the best team, you'll win regardless of where the game is played. Having it at the MCG doesn't appear to be as much of an impediment as you say statistically.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't have a Wembley stadium type that no one calls home, so has to be the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where should Grand Finals be played?

Back