Which supporters have gone through the most pain?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we'd just won half of the grannies we've lost..... Heck, if we'd won 25% of the ones we've lost! :(

Mate you guys had a systematic team wide doping program. Your club disgraced itself. You should be glad the AFL did everything they can to keep you in the competition.

This is about the fans. Essendon had a doping program which embarrassed the loyal supporters who apparently haven't had a rough time watching them be booted from finals and then relegated to a group of kids and dad's army but Richmond and St Kilda have simply had poor management for decades and have been hard done by.

giphy.gif

Tough to split the teams that are perennially disappointing and the teams that build up the expectations of their fans only to crush them time and again.

I'm going to vote Richmond. I've only been following footy since the start of the 90s so don't have an appreciation for what it's like following a (VFL) team that is perennially shit like St Kilda up to that point but going for Richmond is like going for Freo with another 15 years of pain tacked on top. **** that.

Not making finals is worse than losing finals. So melb and rich. And saints fitzroy south melbourne pre 90s

Generally true, however the pain of 1994 when we lost two finals in a serious premiership campaign, to me, is more painful than this very season we were nowhere near finals.
Similarly the pain of Dees fans on prelim final day in 1987 after not being in finals for 23 years is the type of pain I not seen encountered by any other supporter group. To have that be Robert Flower's last season and first finals series and to end that way, would be pain few could really imagine. However the pain of Fitzroy last season in the league is pain no other fan, including Dee fans can be glad we not gone though.

maybe it has to be Richmond over the likes of the Saints and Demons, because Tigers fans know what success is like, the others don't, not in that way. to be a traditional big 4 club picking up flags but to get not very close to that in decades has to hurt worse because they know what it's like and the frustration burns the longer you slip away from where you once were..

Fitzroy fans and no one else comes close.

Losing a shitload of Grannies (aka Collingwood) doesn't compare to losing an club over 100 years and loved by generations of families

Overall the entire time of the league - Saints, Dogs, Richmond, Freo (no order).

Last 20 years - Richmond.

Last 10 years - Melbourne.

IMO Collingwood losing grand finals isn't a cause for pain as much as the others as it still means their supporters enjoyed successful seasons with lots of wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Collingwood losing grand finals isn't a cause for pain as much as the others as it still means their supporters enjoyed successful seasons with lots of wins.

Depends which team beats you in the Grand Final.

Things have been tough for the Dees but Melbourne supporters have a collective sense of humour about it. Kind of a dark ironic way of viewing the football that even when things are truly deplorable, at least its kind of funny that we even still care.

What makes Richmond win this thread is the fact their fans so earnestly believe that one day things will get better - in spite of all evidence to the contrary. They don't even seem to realise that they follow Richmond. Of course things won't get better. Why would things get better? They're Richmond.

And yet their fans still carry on completely oblivious, obliterated on substances and in record numbers.

Its pathetic, hilarious and triumphant all at once.
Lol. If you don't believe someday things will get better, what's the point of even following footy?

Mate you guys had a systematic team wide doping program. Your club disgraced itself. You should be glad the AFL did everything they can to keep you in the competition.
Thread is about supporters. We did nothing but support.

Still not even close to Fitzroy though

I understand what you are saying, but the OP is a very subjective question.

What causes "the most pain"?
- Being mediocre for 30 years, but knowing you are mediocre and unlikely to win
- Being crap/bottom of the ladder for extended periods of time, and then when you are actually in finals (including grand finals) you lose them.

To be honest they are both pretty shit options.

the other scenario is one Geelong supporters of a certain age know only too well: climbing all the way to the top of the mountain and then failing miserably on the big stage; almost better being crap or mediocre .. almost ..

Non AFL but spare a thought for citizens and fans of Mayo County in the Irish Gaelic Football competition. Won the All Ireland in 1936, 1950 and lastly in 1951. Made it back to the final for the first time since winning in 1989 losing that one and going on to lose the final again in 1996, 1997, 2004, 2006, 2012 and 2013. They're in the final again in a few weeks as underdogs against Dublin. A loss there would be 8 finals losses in 28 seasons. They've also been knocked out at the semi final stage in 2015, 2014, 2011, 1999, 1993, 1992 and 1988. Currently on 14 trips to the final four in 28 seasons with no silverware. Potentially 15 in 29 in a few weeks. That's about as brutal run as I can remember in any sport.

Lost again by ONE POINT after a replay - 1-15 to 1-14.

http://www.skysports.com/gaa/gaelic...s-after-defeat-to-dublin-in-all-ireland-final

Second losing replay after losing to Meath in 1996.

8 lost GFs in a row.

A beautiful county with some lovely people. Best of luck next year Mayo.

Overall it is clearly Fitzroy supporters and it is not even close. In recent years it has been Essendon supporters since the past four years has been such an emotional rollercoaster.

Richmond and Melbourne supporters have perhaps had the worst of it, excluding Fitzroy, over the past two decades. Richmond supporters seem to wear their hearts on their sleeve and the team always gives them plenty to get emotional about. It's fair to say I'd probably steer any child of mine away from supporting them for that very reason. Melbourne supporters have had a mix of on-field and off-field troubles - onfield they were among the worst teams ever just a few years ago and then losing the likes of Stynes and Bailey only made it worse.

I have to sit with and listen to Hawthorn supporters, so i would say myself

Nice. I think I could say the same about myself and my fellow Essendon supporters. Sometimes - a lot of the time actually - Essendon supporters are very annoying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which supporters have gone through the most pain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back