Who do we want for Rawlings??

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Adelaide Hawk
Bargain!! Hawthorn would be the winner in that deal. Bring it on.

i'm assuming by raising the offer to match geelong and melbourne that we're prepared to trade the number 9 pick. i could be wrong tho

Originally posted by Grendel
However the difference being that more or less have been 'one-off's'.

We will have now lost McPharlin, Rawlings, Chick, Jarman, Allan and even go back to Robran. Hawthorn has a terrible history in losing players and not really being in any position to deal on our terms. We simply have to draw the line and make it tougher for players to 'walk'. If it means (and make no mistake, one day a club will take the option) of letting him go and making a stand. Then I think our time for doing so is very very close.

With that extra insight, I can totally understand your view.

The right thing for the Hawks to do would be to push him into the pre-season draft as a signal to other players. It might be short term pain, but it will be for long term gain.

I think that we should at least get a first round draft pick and a player for Rawlings. However i think that i would be ready to accept Baird, Morrel and Pick 24 for Rawlings. I admit that Morrel isnt the most consistent player goin around but neither is Nathan Thompson. Dont get me wrong, I am not comparing the two on ability just on consistency.

If I recall correctly, Morell played on some of the best defenders in the league while at the Roos, due to Sav missing a couple of games. At Hawthorn there is no way that he could play on the best defender, as we have other forwards that are more accomplished than he is. Please correct me if i was wrong about Morrel playing on the best defenders in the league.

However one drawback, about not receiving a first round pick is the ability to trade one for a top line player like Wirrpunda or Solomon. Due to the fact that we would have two in the top ten, Hawthorn shall be prepared to deal on one of them.

would Hawthorn be interested in Sav Rocca as part of the trade? He potentially has a couple of good years left in him. Could easily kick 30-40 goals a season.

Taking Baird would be a step back, the club neglected him while he was at Box Hill so why should they take him know??? to prove they were wrong in the first case??. I know inreality it would be better to get Baird but i cant see us doing it.

cheers

Originally posted by tige19
Taking Baird would be a step back, the club neglected him while he was at Box Hill so why should they take him know??? to prove they were wrong in the first case??. I know inreality it would be better to get Baird but i cant see us doing it.

cheers

baird is not even close to the same player he was at box hill, he's been given the chance to develop in an AFL environment and he's a more than capable player. throw in the number 9 pick and thats a fair deal

Originally posted by danny rooboy
would Hawthorn be interested in Sav Rocca as part of the trade? He potentially has a couple of good years left in him. Could easily kick 30-40 goals a season.

We do not want anything to do with Sav Rocca. We'll be looking for someone on the way to the peak of their footballing career, not well past it.

Originally posted by tige19

cheers

Weren't Hawthorn going to pick him up before North jumped in ahead
of us a few drafts back??
He played 20 games this year, and what I saw of him looked pretty
good. We NEED a key defender - not many of them out there at the
moment, tige!!
I say, let's take Baird, with a sweetener (early draft pick/s) and be
happy with it...

...having said that, Leigh Colbert hasn't re-signed with North yet.....

I'm with Grendel, play hardball Hawks. You North supporters really don't get it - of course you're happy with pick #9 and Baird, its a good deal for you.

Sorry but you're getting a quality tall KPP so you're just gunna have to feel a bit of pain for it.

Blokes like Rawlings don't grow on trees you know, clubs invest 10 years to develop them.

Pick 9 + Kanga's 2nd round pick + Baird , would be a fair deal.
Gives us two first and two second round picks which can be used in bargaining for a quality player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Woewodin and Pickett went for Pick 15, then Pick 9 + a player is too much IMHO for Rawlings.

Having said that, we may have to pay it if the Hawks want a quality player, as reported. The Roos may need to ontrade Pick 9 to another club (plus?) to get someone of the ilk of Solomon, Brown, Notting etc.

Interesting times, eh?

BTW, you can have Morrell and Shane Clayton for nothing, okay? And yes, Morrell has played on oppositions 1st/2nd best defender, which is above him. He can take the 3rd best. Clayton tries not to play anywhere near anyone.. it gets a bit rough.

Now the club has come out, would be interested in knowing what 'established player' you guys would be interested in getting.

You were only prepared to give Rawlings 330-350K (correct me if I'm wrong), so Soloman at 400K on a three year contract is out. Ditto Brown for similar reasons. You know Stevens is going to be out of Hawthorn's price range (or break the 'two year' rule), can you think of any other players? Hypothetically, would you take Croad back on a fat contract if something could be magic'd up?

Originally posted by Archer_11
Now the club has come out, would be interested in knowing what 'established player' you guys would be interested in getting.

You were only prepared to give Rawlings 330-350K (correct me if I'm wrong), so Soloman at 400K on a three year contract is out. Ditto Brown for similar reasons. You know Stevens is going to be out of Hawthorn's price range (or break the 'two year' rule), can you think of any other players? Hypothetically, would you take Croad back on a fat contract if something could be magic'd up?

I think Archer_11 has raised a very interesting point in highlighting the fact that Hawthorn offered less money to Rawlings than what they will have to pay to get any of Solomon, Brown and Stevens. If the club needed to approach a number of players to take pay cuts, to retain Lekkas and Rawlings, then how can they possibly fit in someone else at a higher salary than Rawlings? Doesn't make any sense.

While the decision may be due to a much greater awareness of just how Rawlings knees are and how much longer he has got at AFL level, if I was a Hawk supporter, I would be pretty disappointed that someone who has played with the club for the length of time and given the service that Rawlings has, was offered 2 years rather than 3, at less money than they will have to pay to people like Brown in particular, who comes across as much more of a mercenary than Rawlings does.

I have watched Rawlings play some wonderful football and in my view he was one of the best this year for the club. Surely that entitled him to better treatment than he has been given especially as in his heart of hearts my guess is that he will always see himself as more a Hawthorn man than anything else.

Originally posted by Horace

I have watched Rawlings play some wonderful football and in my view he was one of the best this year for the club. Surely that entitled him to better treatment than he has been given especially as in his heart of hearts my guess is that he will always see himself as more a Hawthorn man than anything else.

Fair enough, Horace. I think he was offerred good money but went elsewhere because he wasn't sure if he could last three years injury free and wanted guarenteed money for the third. As for him being a Hawk man, I certainly hope he still considers himeself so. After all, he's married to Richo's sister and we want to lay claim to any sons he has, after all they should grow to be pretty tall :D

As for the money situation, the cap will open up a bit when we move on Harford, Rawlings, Johnson(?), Loats(?), McCabe(?) and put Crawf and Dutchy on the veterans list. Even so, there are other players I'd rather see at Hawthorn than Solomon or Brown (KPP for a start).

Originally posted by Horace
I think Archer_11 has raised a very interesting point in highlighting the fact that Hawthorn offered less money to Rawlings than what they will have to pay to get any of Solomon, Brown and Stevens. If the club needed to approach a number of players to take pay cuts, to retain Lekkas and Rawlings, then how can they possibly fit in someone else at a higher salary than Rawlings? Doesn't make any sense.

While the decision may be due to a much greater awareness of just how Rawlings knees are and how much longer he has got at AFL level, if I was a Hawk supporter, I would be pretty disappointed that someone who has played with the club for the length of time and given the service that Rawlings has, was offered 2 years rather than 3, at less money than they will have to pay to people like Brown in particular, who comes across as much more of a mercenary than Rawlings does.

Who says Hawthorn are chasing Solomon, Brown, or Stevens? I can't see any of them coming to the Hawks, and quite frankly I couldn't care less if they do or don't. As for Rawlings being a Hawthorn man, let's just say he has proven that he isn't. If he really wanted to stay he could have, it was his choice to leave, not Hawthorn's.

Personally, I'd love to see all the clubs make a stand and refuse to trade any of these players. Then we may attain some sanity in player payments and trades. I know it won't happen, but I would dearly love to see it.

Players are being paid far too much these days, especially ordinary ones. Solomon and Rawlings in particular .... worth $300K-$400K? No freaking way!! You know who is paying these wages don't you? Us!!! The paying public. We are paying through memberships, gate receipts, pay-tv subscriptions, AFL approved merchandise ... and every other item that we pay for at grossly inflated prices ... we are paying top dollar so our administrators and precious players can live in luxury.

Major club sponsors can write off any monies invested into football clubs as taxable business expenses ... can we? No.

The average person is being priced right out of the game whilst others are getting richer and richer. Rawlings a Hawthorn man at heart? Don't make me laugh ..... players who have the club at heart are an anachronism. Players are nothing more than auction items ...... SOLD to the highest bidder.

Originally posted by Adelaide Hawk
Who says Hawthorn are chasing Solomon, Brown, or Stevens? I can't see any of them coming to the Hawks, and quite frankly I couldn't care less if they do or don't. As for Rawlings being a Hawthorn man, let's just say he has proven that he isn't. If he really wanted to stay he could have, it was his choice to leave, not Hawthorn's.

Personally, I'd love to see all the clubs make a stand and refuse to trade any of these players. Then we may attain some sanity in player payments and trades. I know it won't happen, but I would dearly love to see it.

Players are being paid far too much these days, especially ordinary ones. Solomon and Rawlings in particular .... worth $300K-$400K? No freaking way!! You know who is paying these wages don't you? Us!!! The paying public. We are paying through memberships, gate receipts, pay-tv subscriptions, AFL approved merchandise ... and every other item that we pay for at grossly inflated prices ... we are paying top dollar so our administrators and precious players can live in luxury.

Major club sponsors can write off any monies invested into football clubs as taxable business expenses ... can we? No.

The average person is being priced right out of the game whilst others are getting richer and richer. Rawlings a Hawthorn man at heart? Don't make me laugh ..... players who have the club at heart are an anachronism. Players are nothing more than auction items ...... SOLD to the highest bidder.

Wrong Rawlings chose the roos and when the deal is done it will be significantly less than you could have got off other club.\
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Originally posted by carlos' roos
Wrong Rawlings chose the roos and when the deal is done it will be significantly less than you could have got off other club.\
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

HAHAHAHA

Rawlings is not at the Roos yet. He is only chose the roos as some bulls*t excuse to play with his brother. Otherwise he was off to Geelong.

I just hope Hawthorn stand tough. If north dont give us a good deal, you aint getting nothing pal.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

It's amazing .... they managed to teach an idiot how to use a computer. Crawl back under your rock and stop making a fool of yourself.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Don't be a knob. The deal isn't done, and although it is very likely North will pass the number 9 pick to another club to strike a 3 way deal with Hawthorn, nothing is done yet. Hawk fans are quite rightly pointing out that there's no guarantee he'll be in Blue and White next year - I have no doubts that sanity will prevail and a suitable deal will be struck by Friday, but in the meantime don't be a penis about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do we want for Rawlings??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back