Who is the best mark of the ball ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
Pure ability to mark the ball. Consider every circumstance: uncontested, contested, one-on-one, multiple defenders, pack marks, overhead, out in front, chest marks, on the lead, with the flight of the ball, etc.

I've just been looking at some contested marking numbers going back to 1999 and three guys stand out: Matthew Richardson, Wayne Carey, and Travis Cloke. Richo did 75 contested marks in 20 games (3.75 per game) in 1999, Carey did 66 in 20 (3.3 per game) in 1999, and Cloke did 95 in 25 (3.8 per game) in 2011.

Contested marks would better indicate marking ability than just marks per game IMO. However, a contested mark tells us nothing about the delivery or the amount of defensive attention faced. A pack mark and a one-on-one mark are both contested marks.

I think, based on footage and available stats, I'd have Richo as the best marker of the 21st century. He had big hands and the ball seemed to stick to them like glue. There's a lot of guys in the 20th century with a case to be made and I'd have to refresh my knowledge. I imagine most of the great FFs and CHFs would have arguments to make.

Richo was my first thought.
Stewart Leowe, Travis Cloke, Wayne Carey also contenders. Current day Harry McKay, Tom Lynch are beast contested marks but I don't think as strong as the others.

Richo was my first thought.
Stewart Leowe, Travis Cloke, Wayne Carey also contenders. Current day Harry McKay, Tom Lynch are beast contested marks but I don't think as strong as the others.
Damn, just checked the numbers and Stewart Leowe did 71 contested marks in 18 games (3.94 per game) in 2000. Beast.

Best high flying mark.
Shaun Smith
Jeremy Howe
Tony Modra
Gary Ablett snr

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Darling.

Paul Roos was no different to McGovern.
Ablett Snr had a wide variety of marking capability. One handers, speccies, out in front, from the side, wrestling and just natural leaping ability.
Richardson could leap like a high jumper which made him impossible to beat in the air.
Terry Daniher, Vander Haar, Knights, Loewe, Carey, Chris Grant . . . so many ridiculously good contested marks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is the best mark of the ball ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back