Who is the best mark of the ball ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stewart Loewe

bighandd.JPG

Jezaulenko went alright, when you took a mark as a kid, you took a Jezza.

The game was much slower back then, much more down the line so marking was much easier, and you played kick to kick every moment at school, every recess and lunch, every training session. Not many great marks in the modern game as we play it.

Howe is as good as anyone has ever been, he would have been a freak in the 70's.

since 1993 these are the contested mark numbers, doesn't mean they are the best because games played is relative to the totals... Jack Darling is the interesting one for me at No. 12

Attachments

• Contested Marks.jpg
    Contested Marks.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 42
Cloke for us was a marking machine but Stewie Loewe was a better mark (and absurdly a worse kick somehow), just no denying it. Might be the GOAT, my old man might have put Syd Coventry ahead.

Pies had a backline in 1990 with Michael Christian, Craig Kelly, Denis Banks and Paul Morwood, all were excellent marks of the ball with sticky hands and happily wore hits and came up smiling. Banks at one time was a superb aerielist (by 90 he was lamed but still a top notch mark), Chrisso outmarked Kernahan on occasion, Kelly could not jump but somehow made that everyone else's problem. Horrible thug and bully, took as good as he gave I suppose, but absolute steel trap hands.

I think of those 4 Morwood was the most skilled. Could take a fair pack mark, near unbeatable one on one and his skills were extraordinary. I recall him marking one handed, fingers out like he was plucking a fruit.

In fact he had really long arms and used to fully extend them to outreach opponents, like Chris Mew. Oh Mew was a superb mark too.

Edit: The Moores, father and son, are great aerial marks. Great athletes, really good judgement and safe hands both of em.

Cloke for us was a marking machine but Stewie Loewe was a better mark (and absurdly a worse kick somehow), just no denying it. Might be the GOAT, my old man might have put Syd Coventry ahead.

Pies had a backline in 1990 with Michael Christian, Craig Kelly, Denis Banks and Paul Morwood, all were excellent marks of the ball with sticky hands and happily wore hits and came up smiling. Banks at one time was a superb aerielist (by 90 he was lamed but still a top notch mark), Chrisso outmarked Kernahan on occasion, Kelly could not jump but somehow made that everyone else's problem. Horrible thug and bully, took as good as he gave I suppose, but absolute steel trap hands.

I think of those 4 Morwood was the most skilled. Could take a fair pack mark, near unbeatable one on one and his skills were extraordinary. I recall him marking one handed, fingers out like he was plucking a fruit.

In fact he had really long arms and used to fully extend them to outreach opponents, like Chris Mew. Oh Mew was a superb mark too.

Edit: The Moores, father and son, are great aerial marks. Great athletes, really good judgement and safe hands both of em.
Shane was a better mark than Paul 😉

Levi Casboult.

Would have been a gun if he could kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best mark of the ball I ever saw was Brian Lake.

I'm sure there was a game when he was playing for the Doggies where he took some ridiculous amount of marks (18?) and a lot of them were contested.

He had the ability to read the flight of the ball in the air that split second before everyone else.

Or course he didnt take any screamers but if I had to pick a player to win a contested mark for my life I'm picking big bad Brian evey time.

Reilly O'Brien

John Coleman

“He would sprint into a space and mark or he would somehow spring “Phoenix” like, head and shoulders above these perplexed backmen to mark. And it used to happen four or five times a game. This great champion footballer was unstoppable taking spectacular mark after spectacular mark and finishing it off with goals.” - Rod Oaten, The Footy Almanac

I think for big pack marks, Stewie Loewe best I’ve seen.

High flyers is hard to argue against Howe.

On a lead, either Dunstall or Lockett.

Courageous would be Ken Hunter and apologies to Trevor Barker.

Best intercept, Gary Dempsey used to be impassable in defence but pure intercept maybe McGovern best to date.

Wayne Carey and Stewart Loewe were the two names that immediately came to mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is the best mark of the ball ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back