Who is the best midfielder of the 21st century?

• Gary Ablett Jnr

Votes: 115 77.7%
  • Patrick Dangerfield

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark Ricciuto

• Chris Judd

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Joel Selwood

• Scott Pendlebury

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Ben Cousins

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Dane Swan

• Scott West

• Simon Goodwin

• Dustin Martin

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Nigel Lappin

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Brent Harvey

• Christian Petracca

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Notwithstanding wanting to complain about Fyfe (since he's a chance at being 3rd in line) not being there, I would have assumed everyone was voting for Ablett or Judd anyway.

Surprised how few Judd has, tbh.
The rational posters have GAJ comfortably ahead of Judd, who is comfortably ahead of all others.

It's no surprise to see the deluded Richmond posters voting for Martin, who wouldn't be in the top 20 midfielders of the 21st century.

It's no surprise to see the deluded Richmond posters voting for Martin, who wouldn't be in the top 20 midfielders of the 21st century.

Name another player that has won 3 Norm Smith medals + 3 premierships. Dusty is more of a footy God than anyone else - past, present or future (JHF his only competition).

1. GAJ
2. Judd
3. Pendlebury
4. Selwood
5. Fyfe
6. Mitchell

Dangerfield and Martin would be in the top handful of mid/forwards, but are down the list in comparison to pure mids.

I also disregard performance pre 2001, therefore excluding the likes of Riccuito, West and to a lesser extent Cousins.

The 4 AA criteria that you have randomly selected notwithstanding, not having Fyfe in the discussion is pretty stupid.

As is not having Bont… on what planet is he not regarded as a midfielder?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I voted GAJ. Though based on early signs I wouldn't be surprised if Nick Diacos challanges for it by the end of his career if he lives up to his potential and promise.
I agree. Also I think Judd's best was possibly better than anybody else's( maybe not Ablett) as he just got the ball himself and broke free.

And if he was a team player not a "kick it to me" type.

History revisionism at play here.

To imply Ablett Jnr was not a 'team player' is one of the more stranger comments. He may not have been a natural born leader like Hodge, Selwood or Voss but he did everything he possibly could to win games (even changed his diet).
The biggest knock on him is exiting Geelong and going to Gold Coast for a lot of $$$ but realistically, he had already won a couple of premierships and the football he played in Queensland was probably the best football we have ever seen by any midfielder in the games history.

History revisionism at play here.

To imply Ablett Jnr was not a 'team player' is one of the more stranger comments. He may not have been a natural born leader like Hodge, Selwood or Voss but he did everything he possibly could to win games (even changed his diet).
The biggest knock on him is exiting Geelong and going to Gold Coast for a lot of $$$ but realistically, he had already won a couple of premierships and the football he played in Queensland was probably the best football we have ever seen by any midfielder in the games history.

Jordan Lewis talked about GAJ at GCS. They were happy for him to get the ball any time he wanted as long as he was outside forward 50.

They would corral him and make his disposal as inefficient as possible. He was only actually damaging when inside forward 50 because the rest of the GCS players simply werent that good.

I dare say every other team felt the same.

Kind of like FIGJAM's comment about Tom Mitchell not being damaging.

1. G. Ablett jr
2. D. Martin
3. S. Pendlebury
4. A. McLeod
5. M. Voss
6. C. Judd
7. B. Cousins
8. J. Selwood
9. P. Dangerfield
10. N. Fyfe

Last edited:
Comedian
Delusional
Antagonistic
Misguided
Or just plain different

I am yet to work out which one you are but may have to revisit your past 50k posts and see if they are as funny as this one.

Show me a better season where a player swept every award, won the Norm Smith and a premiership in a single season ? You can't because only Dusty has achieved the feat. And the fact that he won 2 more Norm Smith medals on the day that matters most, shows that he stands alone on the top of the mountain.

Show me a better season where a player swept every award, won the Norm Smith and a premiership in a single season ? You can't because only Dusty has achieved the feat. And the fact that he won 2 more Norm Smith medals on the day that matters most, shows that he stands alone on the top of the mountain.
Sorry I thought the question was the best midfielder for the 21st century, not 2017.

Once the question comes "who was the best player for 2017? Dusty will get my vote/

Also it isnt just the Dusty at No1 sad pick.

The fact that the others you named would struggle to make the top 5, shows your judgement, or lack thereof.

Then again, you could be right and the vast majority of people who follow AFL could be wrong.

Doubtfull but possible.
Not even plausible but possible.

That is the beauty of opinions, no matter how ridiculous and bizarre, everybody can have them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back