Who will be better in 2024? Hawthorn or Essendon?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I am tipping the next 4 weeks will sort it out, I think the Hawks play 3 top 5 sides in a row coming up? I think we’ll see the gap between 3rd and 13th a little bit wider after that.

Close, we play fifth (Cats in Geelong), third (Freo in tassie), and sixth (Pies at G) in a row. Apart from the first quarter against cats we were competitive, and the margin reflected the 7 goals to 1 first quarter. Pies we were very close to beating, and had a late shot on goal that could have had us winning had it gone through. Freo just had a huge win at the SCG, but generally they've gone quite poorly this year when playing at other team's home grounds, only beating bottom 4 teams at their opponent's home ground, teams can struggle against us at UTAS, although we haven't played them down there since 2021 (10 goal win to us). While we'll go into all three of those games as underdogs, given our improvements since we played pies and cats, and playing at our second home against Freo, we could end up getting at least one win out of that.

Frep have 5 of their last 8 at home and only 1 of their away games is against a top 8 side (Bombers), so I think you're right, the gap between Freo and the majority of teams below them (include us) will widen. However teams outside the eight will not be hoping to pass Freo (although it could happen). They'll be gunning for your spot in the 8. You play 4 of the top 8, and given you haven't beaten any of the current top 8, you'd be unlikely to go in favourites against many of those on current form. Two of the other four are against teams also hoping to make the 8 (Demons, Giants), with the remaining games against Saints and Crows, which are the only two I'd be semi-confident about. On the plus side you only travel out of Melbourne once, evening up the odds against teams like Freo.

I wouldn't bet on the gap widening between Hawks and Essendon as the season heads towards its conclusion. You may get a little further in front over the next 3 weeks, but given we play only one top 8 side in our final 5 weeks, we could easily reel you back in if we can maintain our current form. Young teams often fade towards the end of the season though, so I think it is more likely that one of the more seasoned teams like Bulldogs will take your spot in the 8 if you tumble out (and your 7 home games give you a chance of holding your spot, although probably not top 4 I think).

Of course if we can make finals, a Hawks vs Bombers final would be amazing. Has been a while hasn't it? I think you've actually won a final since you last played us in one, which shows how long it has been! While it has been fun watching you lose all those finals over the years, actually losing one by our hand would be extra special. Might have to wait a season or two though unfortunately...

I am tipping the next 4 weeks will sort it out, I think the Hawks play 3 top 5 sides in a row coming up? I think we’ll see the gap between 3rd and 13th a little bit wider after that.
Geelong in Geelong is tough, will be a great game and a 50-50 contest, however the next is Freo in Tassie and should win, or go in favourites.

Should also go in favourites against Collingwood, could see a world with 3 wins from the next 3 and being 11-7, sitting in the 8 with North/Richmond last two, Adelaide too, then two tough games against GWS away (form dependent) and Carlton.

Geelong in Geelong is tough, will be a great game and a 50-50 contest, however the next is Freo in Tassie and should win, or go in favourites.

Should also go in favourites against Collingwood, could see a world with 3 wins from the next 3 and being 11-7, sitting in the 8 with North/Richmond last two, Adelaide too, then two tough games against GWS away (form dependent) and Carlton.
That must be a fair old reality check for you?

You thought it was a 50/50 game for your lot(lol) and got blown off the park, Hawthorn have no business being in any talk of finals this year.
Mate. You lost to Geelong by similar margins to Hawthorn today, you beat Collingwood yesterday and you’ll make finals. One game is irrelevant. It happens especially if one side is switched on and one isn’t, and the one switched on is a good side.

Mate. You lost to Geelong by similar margins to Hawthorn today, you beat Collingwood yesterday and you’ll make finals. One game is irrelevant. It happens especially if one side is switched on and one isn’t, and the one switched on is a good side.
Your arrogance is ridiculous, this was never a 50/50 game for the Hawks, you wont be beating Freo either, no matter where it’s played.

Does the Mitch Lewis ACL set things back?

Not an ideal situation but think most would agree that MAbior Chol shows glimpses of eliteness but probably isn't going to carry Hawthorn to the promised land.

Not an ideal situation but think most would agree that MAbior Chol shows glimpses of eliteness but probably isn't going to carry Hawthorn to the promised land.

Sadly I don't think Mitch Lewis has been overly relevant to their 2024 anyway so seems an odd bump.

Thread topic still feels alive despite Hawthorn being 9 spots lower on the ladder but maybe that's just me being a cynical stilted Essendon supporter

Perhaps, it’s a big blow.
Dear would be the watch over the off-season to see how he develops, Scaife has shown abit at VFL level also, a key forward would be a focus point for the off-season whether free agency, trade or draft, likely the latter.

Albeit as mentioned, not really relevant to specifically 2024 and more team situation.

Sadly I don't think Mitch Lewis has been overly relevant to their 2024 anyway so seems an odd bump.

Thread topic still feels alive despite Hawthorn being 9 spots lower on the ladder but maybe that's just me being a cynical stilted Essendon supporter
10-5-1 (4) - 1 game + draw from 8th.
8-8 (13) - 1 game + % out of 8

It’s quite an even season, so not out of the ordinary, Hawthorn one of the form sides in the last 2 months (2nd), and with some very winnable games to finish the year, whereas Essendon have a decently difficult draw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong on their home deck is always going to be a 60/40 proposition.

Made all the more difficult with Sicily missing.
More like 90-10 against lower ranked Melbourne opposition.

They have only lost twice in the past 18 years against a Melbourne based side lower on the ladder at GMHBA.

Cats had a few missing to didn't they? Every developing side has a hiccup against a good side

Not too sure outside of Bruhn/Guthrie. I personally don't think Hawkins is best 22 anymore but I'm sure there are some Cats supporters who would disagree.

You’ve won 3 games in 3 days?
I made that comment this week ya pelican.
You're right you did make that comment on the 06th May. I confused your join date for your post date, which was easily done seeing as I really didn't think a numpty newby would be so mouthy with their moronic idiotic predictions.
So you were saying you couldn't see where the improvement of where the Hawks was, and oh yes that's right we would be lucky to win another 6. So Since 06th May: Saints (1) Brisbane (2) Adelaide (3) Giants (4) Richmond (5) Eagles (6) Fremantle (7). You were saying Pelican?

Does the Mitch Lewis ACL set things back? Not an ideal situation but think most would agree that MAbior Chol shows glimpses of eliteness but probably isn't going to carry Hawthorn to the promised land.
injury trolling, huh? Classy.

How about you explain to everyone when Essendon's three big guns, 2-metre Peter, Sam Draper and battling Ben McKay will be carrying them to the Promised Land ?

693281ebeba0367a8fdd48a4b31b74f4509f9c1a-16x9-x331y71w1746h982.jpg

Untitled-design-2023-11-29T150418.619.jpg

ME130224MW00865.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Who will be better in 2024? Hawthorn or Essendon?

Back