Who would you pick - Ballantyne or Banfield

Who would you pick for round 1 - Ballantyne or Banfield?

• Banfield

Votes: 113 94.2%
  • Ballantyne

Votes: 7 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Banfield is a lock for rd 1. Ballantyne is about 22th selected at the minute but will probably be in the side. His disposal is putrid and has to be close to the worst one on one player in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Round 1 against Port. What does their defence find hardest to match up on? Talls or Smalls. Spare in defence or not?

At first bounce: Taberner, McCarthy, Walters - Matera, Mundy likely - rest is from Grey, Banfield, Ballantyne, Kersten (some spaces on the bench).

Fyfe, Neale also go forward.

Okay, so who is the one who voted for Ballas?

M_rash where art thou?

If we're selecting a small forward mostly for their forward pressure then I don't know why we wouldn't just go with Brady over Ballas. I would also prefer Langdon or Banfield in that role, assuming they aren't already in the lineup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brady or Ballas is a bit meh. I suppose that Brady has age on his side though.

I'm disappointed that Mitch is injured/not popular though. Think he is the perfect guy for the role. Got wheels, likes to tackle and can kick.

That's pretty much it. That and he can genuinely hurt opposition players.

Yeah I was another caught up in the Crowden hype and am pretty disappointed that he seems very unlikely to play early on. I just hope that he doesn't have to wait long for his chance, and that when he gets it he can make the most of it. We saw last year that Logue was getting games even when his form didn't really warrant selection, I hope they decide to fast-track Mitch (and AB, Cerra) in the same way

That's pretty much it. That and he can genuinely hurt opposition players.

Yeah I was another caught up in the Crowden hype and am pretty disappointed that he seems very unlikely to play early on. I just hope that he doesn't have to wait long for his chance, and that when he gets it he can make the most of it. We saw last year that Logue was getting games even when his form didn't really warrant selection, I hope they decide to fast-track Mitch (and AB, Cerra) in the same way
Ross must love AB already with the amount of center bounces he attends. I think Cerra will get similar love if he has a good attitude (believe he does) and is fit enough.

Hope you are right and Mitch gets a look in early. Based on the training reports I wonder if he just hasn't adjusted to not being the strong bloke anymore? Needs to alter his game to reflect his physical stature at this level perhaps. Whatever the cause, I want his pace and skills on the damn park ASAP.

Ross must love AB already with the amount of center bounces he attends. I think Cerra will get similar love if he has a good attitude (believe he does) and is fit enough.

Hope you are right and Mitch gets a look in early. Based on the training reports I wonder if he just hasn't adjusted to not being the strong bloke anymore? Needs to alter his game to reflect his physical stature at this level perhaps. Whatever the cause, I want his pace and skills on the damn park ASAP.

I remember reading some of the earliest training reports and people were observing how he was running down Michael Walters and geting lippy with him and thinking "holy shit we have a ripper here". Maybe whatever injury (finger?) he sustained has dented his confidence? Or it could be as you say and the culture/environment shock has dawned on him and he's just dealing with that atm, which would be perfectly normal.

What a silly little thread this is. As if Ballas isn’t playing every game in 2018 that he’s not injured. Until match committee actually drop Ballas to Peel, y’all just wasting yo time!

Banfield can come in for Sutty, Sheridan, or D.Pearce. Ballas’ upside is far greater than these spuds. But even then, it won’t be round one.

Ballas being dropped is more of a stretch than what his hammys get at pilates!

Im the best buddy in the world. I predict Ballas to follow a similar path to my buddy from last year, Lee Spurr. Be the experienced whipping boy for 18 odd rounds before seeing WAFLOL action. He’ll eventually be phased out, but it’ll take much longer than it should. In the mean time, enjoy my unwavering support for my buddy as I LOL at your melting and longing for him to be dropped.

I’m sure that Ballantyne was originally earmarked for Round 1, on the basis that it is never a good idea to replace too many players at once, and we had at the very least Matera, Wilson and Brayshaw (plus Pearce from a long lay off) to come in.

If current form continues however, I don’t see Banfield being left out - has been seriously impressive - and surely it’s Ballantyne that makes way.

I’m sure that Ballantyne was originally earmarked for Round 1, on the basis that it is never a good idea to replace too many players at once, and we had at the very least Matera, Wilson and Brayshaw (plus Pearce from a long lay off) to come in.

If current form continues however, I don’t see Banfield being left out - has been seriously impressive - and surely it’s Ballantyne that makes way.
Ballas is a lock for round one. Life will be easier once you come to peace with it.

There’s plenty of other spuds Banfield can push out. Grey, Sutty, Tommy Gun, D.Pearce to name a few. These 4 are in serious consideration for round one, but also have a track record for playing Peel.

Ballantyne has become the new Mayne. There is obviously something he does out there that I don't comprehend but is highly valued by the coaches.
Reading through the game thread today the overwhelming consensus was Balla played an absolute howler yet Prior in the post match talked about how He's had such a great preseason, how highly rated he is and that he started to put it together a bit in the 2nd quarter.
Like Mayne he's clearly not expected to kick goals or take marks or any of the things that used to be associated with being a forward.
I suspect Mayne would still be a lock in our forward line if he was still on our list.

Ballantyne was our leading goal kicker in 2014 and we didn't win the spoon did we?
Ballaz was playing well 4 years ago ,Not so lately , on his disclosed form 16 , 17 and so far 18 form we are going bad if he leads our goal kicking. Unless he can turn back the clock .

Ballantyne has become the new Mayne. There is obviously something he does out there that I don't comprehend but is highly valued by the coaches.
Reading through the game thread today the overwhelming consensus was Balla played an absolute howler yet Prior in the post match talked about how He's had such a great preseason, how highly rated he is and that he started to put it together a bit in the 2nd quarter.
Like Mayne he's clearly not expected to kick goals or take marks or any of the things that used to be associated with being a forward.
I suspect Mayne would still be a lock in our forward line if he was still on our list.
I think Ross Lyon's 22 defenders on the field is starting wear thin with me .

I think Ross Lyon's 22 defenders on the field is starting wear thin with me .
I'm coming to a point I'd welcome a change but it aint likely at this point and Lyon has decent runs on the board. I just wish he wasn't so bloody stubborn about persisting with players and strategies that aren't working and a little more creative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you pick - Ballantyne or Banfield

Back