Who would you pick - Ballantyne or Banfield

Who would you pick for round 1 - Ballantyne or Banfield?

• Banfield

Votes: 113 94.2%
  • Ballantyne

Votes: 7 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Father Time has caught up with HB. I am sure Banfield, Grey or Crowden can bring the same rabid pressure to bear in our games. Maybe rotate the young blokes seeing that they are still developing physically. Don't want to burn them out too quickly. Banfield if he continues to develop will be a great story. Our new Mick Barlow. As for the original Micky B...he will always be a Freo son. Come back Mick...be the coach of Peel

I would imagine it is a lock that we have the following guys up forward / rotating forward in R1 pending injuries over the next few weeks:

Taberner
McCarthy
Matera
Walters
Fyfe / Mundy
Banfield

The next conversation really is, do we play Kersten or Darcy. Kersten essentially means Tabs is the second ruckman and we play predominentally with 3.5 bigger forwards (Fyfe/Mundy being the 0.5).
Banfield plays the DeBoer/Grey/Mayne/Nyhius role of the defensive forward that hopefully jags a goal or two and then Matera and Walters with Sonny probably playing 50% in the midfield.

As much as i hate it, i think Ballas probably plays R1.

Ballas needs to play more on the edge. Every story needs a villain and he needs to accept that. For example on this site we have Banker, SA and Righteo as our villains. The universe needs balance.

Where do people see Cox at? Looked promising up forward last year, and has offered very little in defence this year. Just his effort in general doesn’t seem to be there - second year blues?

I didn’t see the scratchie - how did he go? This general sweeping comment is based off JLT1 only

As others have alluded to ,banfields a lock and not really for ballas position . Mitch is the man to take his spot there and it cant come quicker enough ASFAIC

Last edited:
Ballas needs to play more on the edge. Every story needs a villain and he needs to accept that. For example on this site we have Banker, SA and Righteo as our villains. The universe needs balance.
When the Jedi said the universe needs balance old mate in your photo lost 3 limbs and got a sexy new suit and voice. Is that what we want?
Where do people see Cox at? Looked promising up forward last year, and has offered very little in defence this year. Just his effort in general doesn’t seem to be there - second year blues?

I didn’t see the scratchie - how did he go? This general sweeping comment is based off JLT1 only
I don't reckon shirking the contest in JLT1 did him any favours. Possibly a bit of 2nd year blues too.

Clearly has ability, he'll be ok.

We will need a four quarter effort out of whoever gets picked, whether that can be delivered by a first year player is up for debate.

No point getting a goal a quarter out of a small forward in the first three who can't keep up with his man setting up six scoring chains in the fourth.

Banfield is a lock for rd 1. Ballantyne is about 22th selected at the minute but will probably be in the side. His disposal is putrid and has to be close to the worst one on one player in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would think so but everyone in Perth thought the same about Connor Blakely in his first year when he dominated in the preseason games. Ross had other ideas though.

Banfield: Will be at the club in 5 years time.
Ballantyne: Should of been delisted after his abysmal 2016 season and wanting to cross the road that same year.

Not a hard choice. I don't care if Ballantyne's bled purple in the past, so have many of our servants who moved on in the last couple of years who put the club and it's list before themselves - some have gone on to be leaders at other clubs, meanwhile we still have this D grade 30 year old clogging up the list and opportunities for change just so that he can collect his pay check.

He can't convert, can't tie his shoes, losing his pace, his skills are average and he's now starting to develop the Sutcliffesque momentum-killing play.

The club is probably just trying to get their money's worth out of him before he's chucked in the bin at the end of the year - I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts at least 10 games this season as pathetic as it will be. I just hate playing all of Ballantyne / Grey / Matera in the same side, but you know he is probably going to sook that he won't play at Peel.

Rant over.

:sick:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would think so but everyone in Perth thought the same about Connor Blakely in his first year when he dominated in the preseason games. Ross had other ideas though.
Blakely has been developed really well I think, and is certainly a much more rounded player than when he started with us.

As Taylor mentions, no point being good for part of the game, and then being a liability in the fourth quarter; Need to get some pre-seasons under the belt and some discipline too. We have whinged endlessly here about the club's ordinary history with player development, and simultaneously want to push players up before they are properly prepared for it.

There are all kinds of factors that have to be considered for selection.

Experience, endurance and strength are of value, as well as skills, football nous, goal sense etc.

Young players need to have their bodies managed.

Too many young players in a team can push extra game time on to mature bodies and put them at risk.

Young players can develop thru training and WAFL time as well as AFL time.

Playing in a competitive team is likely more enjoyable and better for development of game plan than playing in an uncompetitive team.

Having said all that, I hate that video of Prior where he assumes that Ballas is a lock for Rd 1. It just makes it seem like performance doesn't matter, there is no integrity in selection and the selection panel don't weigh up all the factors.

Imagine being banfield atm..2 weeks ago he was an unknown rookie, now he’s all over AFL sites, papers and forums! Keep it up Banfield and keep making the most of every opportunity.

Obviously Banfield ahead of Ballas.
All he needs is a dream team 100 to start the year and he will be rising star.

Surely Banfield is not pushing Ballas out of the side. I would have thought the addition of Matera was the writing on the wall for Ballas. Carrying on from that we need someone to step up so that Ballas doesn't become an option for the match commitee and along comes Banfield but I think there are a host of others depending on opposition and matchups.

Ballantyne has become the new Mayne. There is obviously something he does out there that I don't comprehend but is highly valued by the coaches.
Reading through the game thread today the overwhelming consensus was Balla played an absolute howler yet Prior in the post match talked about how He's had such a great preseason, how highly rated he is and that he started to put it together a bit in the 2nd quarter.
Like Mayne he's clearly not expected to kick goals or take marks or any of the things that used to be associated with being a forward.
I suspect Mayne would still be a lock in our forward line if he was still on our list.
I think this is just coaches keeping a players morale up heading into the season. Ballas would be an idiot to think he's staying in the top 22.

Remember that time (I think it was Mayne) Mayne was Mayneing it up all year, but then got injured so we played Josh Simpson. Simpson did really well in the limited time he got but we then went on to completely disregard that and play Mayne when he was fit? I remember that time. Banfield won't react like Simpson did but to play Ballantyne ahead of him at this stage would be equally offensive and demoralising to him imo.

Remember that time (I think it was Mayne) Mayne was Mayneing it up all year, but then got injured so we played Josh Simpson. Simpson did really well in the limited time he got but we then went on to completely disregard that and play Mayne when he was fit? I remember that time. Banfield won't react like Simpson did but to play Ballantyne ahead of him at this stage would be equally offensive and demoralising to him imo.
That marked the end for Mayne.

Injured in round 3, rolled ankle, sat out round four and then was named for round 5 - but the club wanted to pull him from the side because the ankle hadn't healed up enough... but Josh didn't get on the plane, so Mayne played and we all know how it went then.

2014, downwards.

It really depends on Where freo Is on development. If this was 2012-15 with a lot of Players in their prime and Freo were in the top 6, Ballas would be in. I see Ballantyne as a depth player now. This is his last year. I don't see him play no more than 10-12 games and kick around 15-20 goals. I expect him to play his last ever game for Peel in the WAFL grand final

Freo are in the bottom 6, Banfield has to play because we are playing youth.

Ballaz was playing well 4 years ago ,Not so lately , on his disclosed form 16 , 17 and so far 18 form we are going bad if he leads our goal kicking. Unless he can turn back the clock .
Take away Ballantynes brilliant 2014 season, Ballantyne is just another solid forward that kicks 30 goals a season from 20 games each year. That was fine as Pav was our main Tall and Mayne and Walters kicked goals too

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you pick - Ballantyne or Banfield

Back