Society/Culture Why do less intelligent people gravitate to conservative/right wing ideology.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Daily Mail article reports upon a study by Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario, Canada. (another Canadian Academic Psychologist but without a youtube presence). He looked at data from 2 UK studies testing child development. The subjects were
(a) 4,267 boys and 4,537 girls born in 1958;
(b) 3,412 boys and 3,658 girls born in 1970.

The tests were of
(c) verbal and non verbal intelligence; and
(d) cognitive abilities (number recall, shape-drawing tasks, defining words and identifying patterns and similarities among words).

In both surveys, 23 years later, the same groups were asked to answer a series of questions about traditions, authority and attitudes toward other races. Hodson then postulated a definition of conservatism which is undefined but looks to be based upon attitudes towards Authority and other races and concluded that low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservtive ideologies.

I’d very cautious about accepting the conclusions drawn by Grin and his gaggle of applauders from the article helpfully posted by Mofra
So would I.

Here's a meta-analysis that's far more wide ranging.

There is a significant body of work on the subject. Assuming the entire concept is based off a single study is folly.

Why do less intelligent people gravitate to conservative/right wing ideology?

The same reason they tend to gravitate to multi-level marketing. They are gullible.

right wing politics isn't real.

Left wing politics comes directly from unions and community groups. Its pretty real. Right wing politics is an invention of the oligarchy as a bulwark against that. There are currently 139 billionaires in Australia today. Not much of a voting bloc. Keith Murdoch and others back in the day helped create the Liberal party and the IPA. This small bloc of people now spend 100s of millions to make many billions. And they need hucksters like journos and talking heads to rope in the suckers. And eventually they create enough ppl behind them to make an opposition to the natural body politic.

The suckers that support it often vote against their own best interests. You have to be dumb to do that.
And yet one of the richest men in the world Jeff Bezos has clearly driven an influential publication like the Washington Post to the left. And we have people like Steve Bannon openly saying MAGA has no place for billionaires.

These paradigms are outdated. People are appealing to their own audiences, and they’re not who they used to be. Both sides are in turmoil over this.

And yet one of the richest men in the world Jeff Bezos has clearly driven an influential publication like the Washington Post to the left. And we have people like Steve Bannon openly saying MAGA has no place for billionaires.

These paradigms are outdated. People are appealing to their own audiences, and they’re not who they used to be. Both sides are in turmoil over this.
Imagine how ****ing stupid you'd have to be to believe there's place for billionaires in MAGA when the fascists are funded by a bunch of them. You wouldn't be one of them though eh?

Imagine how ******* stupid you'd have to be to believe there's place for billionaires in MAGA when the fascists are funded by a bunch of them. You wouldn't be one of them though eh?
Imagine how ****ing stupid you’d have to be to take that from my post.

And yet you responded, duuuude.

Do you see how thoroughly you’re beclowning yourself here?
If you say so. I'm imagining all 4 of your chins wobbling right now FYI.

If you say so. I'm imagining all 4 of your chins wobbling right now FYI.
No skin off any of my chins. Every forum could use a good punching bag, it’s good that you’ve stepped up to get slapped around for the general amusement of all and sundry.

Now heat up your two minute noodles, zip yourself into your snuggy, you might get lucky and catch another re run of Ice Road Truckers.

No skin off any of my chins. Every forum could use a good punching bag, it’s good that you’ve stepped up to get slapped around for the general amusement of all and sundry.

Now heat up your two minute noodles, zip yourself into your snuggy, you might get lucky and catch another re run of Ice Road Truckers.
Having a few Carltons and watching some NBA. Enjoy your Motel in Ballarat my dude.

I missed pub beer during lockdown so I bought a couple pint glasses and got into pouring Carlton Draft into a glass and pretending I was at a pub and then stuck at it. We're all a little bit nuffy if we're honest.

I missed pub beer during lockdown so I bought a couple pint glasses and got into pouring Carlton Draft into a glass and pretending I was at a pub and then stuck at it. We're all a little bit nuffy if we're honest.
Do you have a GoFundMe page? I’ll see what I can do. Honest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The argy-bargy between your typical "left" and "right" wingers is absolute gold for the people pulling the strings behind the curtain.
People accepting this rubbish 2-party crap and fighting over the most minor differences must make them laugh themselves silly!

Both left and right are the same people, where it matters.

As long as who ever is in control of the country do what their frikn told when their masters tell them, it wont matter who is Prime Minister. And historically, every PM has done what they were told since Whitlam. You think it matters if libs or labour are in power? they both do what they are told by the finance sector, they both send Australians to die in wars when they are told, they both do everything they are told to by their corporate "donors" (ie: legalised bribery) and they both do **** all for the actual people who vote for them.

There is nothing "Democratic" about our 2-party system.

The argy-bargy between your typical "left" and "right" wingers is absolute gold for the people pulling the strings behind the curtain.
People accepting this rubbish 2-party crap and fighting over the most minor differences must make them laugh themselves silly!

Both left and right are the same people, where it matters.

As long as who ever is in control of the country do what their frikn told when their masters tell them, it wont matter who is Prime Minister. And historically, every PM has done what they were told since Whitlam. You think it matters if libs or labour are in power? they both do what they are told by the finance sector, they both send Australians to die in wars when they are told, they both do everything they are told to by their corporate "donors" (ie: legalised bribery) and they both do * all for the actual people who vote for them.

There is nothing "Democratic" about our 2-party system.
Yeah but my team is better than your team

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Why do less intelligent people gravitate to conservative/right wing ideology.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back