Why Geelong will overtake Hawthorn and become the on field AFL powerhouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok now you guys have disagreed with my suggestion that Geelong will struggle to win 2 flags by the end of the decade while Hawthorn win none.

Yes I can see improvement in Geelong next year, but 2 flags in 5 years is a massive ask.

I don't expect Geelong to win another flag in the next 5 years. I can see 1 or 2 top 4 finishes - maybe if everything goes your way you could win a flag but just can't see 2 in 5.

Lonergan, Taylor and Enright are all not playing in 2018 onwards - that's a massive hole to fill in the backline

I haven't yet seen a detailed plan as to how Geelong could win 2 flags in the next 5 years - c'mon

I never said Hawthorn won't be able to win another flag before we roll into the 2021 season.
However, I do see Geelong having another opportunity to win one during that time. I certainly can't see it in the next 2-3 years though. I'm a firm believer this club needs a new direction. 2011 was wonderful but that was on the back of some very experienced players who had one more season of top line footy left in them (Ling, Ottens, Scarlett, Wojcinski, Chapman, Hunt, Enright, Bartel, Johnson).
At that particular time, I honestly believed Geelong were looking good things in the long term.
Some of these fresh new faces seemed to be making a name for themselves . . . Duncan, Christensen, Hunt, Menzel, Vardy, Smedts, Motlop, Murdoch. Injuries plus off field issues, along with a lack of development to some of them kind of put a spanner in the works. Vardy & Menzel particularly, those two were the ones which hurt us the most. A young key position forward/ruckman and a medium sized forward with similar upside to that of Hawthorn's Jack Gunston.

I also think Stephen Wells needs to cop a bit of the blame at the moment. He's one of the best recruiters this sporting code has seen in recent decades. The ability to pick talent in players a long way back from some of the other boys more advanced is what has allowed Geelong to succeed over the decade.
Having said all that, he has made some strange decisions recently. Decisions to go for the best available talent opposed to best available talent for the teams short/long term needs. We have needed a ruckman for quite some time. Simpson was always a project player but when he went down again in 2013, we probably should have looked for a young up and coming ruck.
Our back line was getting long in the tooth, but there was no real urgency to address these issues. Yes we recruited Tom Gillies & Jake Kolodjashnij but other clubs recruited three or more of them in quick succession.

Geelong has virtually sold the farm during this years draft, we have not only given up some young emerging talent but we have also lost any chance to blood in more good talent in next years draft.
Will all this be worth while in the short term?
Smith, Dangerfield, Selwood, Henderson all appear to be perfect acquisitions on paper, but as we have witnessed with McIntosh, Rivers & Clark (till early to judge Stanley), it doesn't necessarily equate to on field success.

From a long term point of view I can sum it up simply

Geelong don't require early draft picks or salary cap concessions to win premierships.

Geelong will also benefit more than any other club from free agency because of our unique geographical location .Hawthorn are just 1 of 9 clubs in Melbourne .

Rather than try and sum it up simply, how about giving a bit more detail in how you see Geelong overcoming the many challenges out there to be able to win 2 of the next 5 flags

LOL......you have to hand it to "crazy"...he's sucked in the Hawk reactionaries with consummate ease.....classic ruffled feature response from the squark boys...

Good to see them keeping an eye on the Cat board though.......one can only wonder why....

It's embarrassing the lack of respect Scott gets for 2011.

He did an amazing job with that group that was aging and had just lost it's coach, it's best player and had an epic finals hiding.

Nobody and I mean nobody tipped us to finish top 4 let alone win the thing.

Ppl also don't take into account the ridiculous run of injuries we have had since 2010.
That's like saying Allan Joyce and Robert Walls were good coaches

LOL......you have to hand it to "crazy"...he's sucked in the Hawk reactionaries with consummate ease.....classic ruffled feature response from the squark boys...

Good to see them keeping an eye on the Cat board though.......one can only wonder why....

Geelong Crazy gets a bit carried away - a bit over optomistic but hes hearts in the right place - and you can see he loves the club - he has acknowledged Hawthorns achievements

You contrast that - to that bloody Koko Pops - or Korkalanis on the Hawks and Main board - he said Geelongs flags of 09 and 11 should be stripped off them by the AFL = because the 2 teams we beat have a history of losing alot of GFS

Yet Hawthorn beat " Mighty Freo" ( 1 goal to half time in a GF - fancy getting Fremantle in a GF - i mean how lucky can you be ) and " Wet Toast" ( their current lot of plodders would get destroyed by about 20 goals by Matera Jackovich Kemp and co )- yet they carry on like there the greatest 2 flags won since World War 1

You contrast that - to that bloody Koko Pops - or Korkalanis on the Hawks and Main board - he said Geelongs flags of 09 and 11 should be stripped off them by the AFL = because the 2 teams we beat have a history of losing alot of GFS

Yet Hawthorn beat " Mighty Freo" ( 1 goal to half time in a GF - fancy getting Fremantle in a GF - i mean how lucky can you be ) and " Wet Toast" ( their current lot of plodders would get destroyed by about 20 goals by Matera Jackovich Kemp and co )- yet they carry on like there the greatest 2 flags won since World War 1

Yeah but it doesn't matter who you beat or how you win. Why the opinion of opposition fans is important is beyond me to be honest.

Yeah but it doesn't matter who you beat or how you win. Why the opinion of opposition fans is important is beyond me to be honest.
POTY just in time mate.

same logic could be applied to Geelong in 2007 when they faced Port Adelaide, a team that would likely get done by a good 5 or so goals by West Coast of today.
The only team that would beat that Geelong team was Hawthorn.

same logic could be applied to Geelong in 2007 when they faced Port Adelaide, a team that would likely get done by a good 5 or so goals by West Coast of today.
The only team that would beat that Geelong team was Hawthorn.
Which Haw team- 07 version, or 2015?
Only team we did not beat in 07 was Hawthorn....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a long term point of view I can sum it up simply

Geelong don't require early draft picks or salary cap concessions to win premierships.

Geelong will also benefit more than any other club from free agency because of our unique geographical location .Hawthorn are just 1 of 9 clubs in Melbourne .
You truly are a nutter.

You don't think that living in Geelong vs living in Sydney is not a concession? Really?
Aside from having to eat shit food.

Geelong Crazy gets a bit carried away - a bit over optomistic but hes hearts in the right place - and you can see he loves the club
Yep, you can see the passion. Would much prefer reading some optimism than the opposite. He does go overboard though.

Hawthorn 07 would have found a way to beat us in the grand final. And yes, they beat us by four points earlier in the season.
I choose to think we had their measure. We will never know, but they got done by NM easily, and we smashed them by over 100 points....
And at that stage , apart from the lethargy we had in the prelim, we really were superior. Trying to talk myself into not agreeing with you.

I choose to think we had their measure. We will never know, but they got done by NM easily, and we smashed them by over 100 points....
And at that stage , apart from the lethargy we had in the prelim, we really were superior. Trying to talk myself into not agreeing with you.
They did beat us but it should be noted it was in Launceston and was before we went on our run of wins.

Would that side have beaten us on The G? We'll never know that.

You are very much the diplomat Vdubs. That's one of the many things that I like about you.... :D

can really only go by the following years result. The very fact they beat us in our prime in the 08 grand final, and we battled out a thriller a few months earlier when we were obliterating sides (Cats by 11 points), throw in the loss the year beforehand, Hawthorn simply had our measure.

Yep, you can see the passion. Would much prefer reading some optimism than the opposite. He does go overboard though.

There aren't always opposites; I'll settle for realism. I'll happily believe we're about to win multiple premierships, as long as some semblance of evidence is provided. Chaotically rattling off draft pick numbers while ignoring the sound and consistent recruiting that has gone on (as it did for Geelong as well) does not constitute that.

There aren't always opposites; I'll settle for realism. I'll happily believe we're about to win multiple premierships, as long as some semblance of evidence is provided. Chaotically rattling off draft pick numbers while ignoring the sound and consistent recruiting that has gone on (as it did for Geelong as well) does not constitute that.
realism is subjective. What you say is realistic others may not agree.

For the record I disagreed with the assertion of the OP on page 2. Not convinced we will any time soon be a powerhouse on field. Do see us trending up from 2015 though, how far or how much I do not know.

can really only go by the following years result. The very fact they beat us in our prime in the 08 grand final, and we battled out a thriller a few months earlier when we were obliterating sides (Cats by 11 points), throw in the loss the year beforehand, Hawthorn simply had our measure.
2011?

Not really.
You did not believe that then, and I think it's where you're at with us now, which is understandable, but reality is that Hawks team in 07 was not capable of beating our team in September 07, as much as they got nowhere near a smashed up NM in Sep 07.

Not really.
You did not believe that then, and I think it's where you're at with us now, which is understandable, but reality is that Hawks team in 07 was not capable of beating our team in September 07, as much as they got nowhere near a smashed up NM in Sep 07.

we will never know mate.
I reckon history is a good teacher. They're 3 wins from 4 attempts come September this last decade. Tough to dispute otherwise imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back