Why Geelong will overtake Hawthorn and become the on field AFL powerhouse

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd give Murdoch F on exposed form
Will have to keep Scott's car very shiny this year to stay in the team
He can run down players with pace and tackles and kick a nice long left foot goal on the move, but for a bloke of 190cm his contested game is very weak.

He can run down players with pace and tackles and kick a nice long left foot goal on the move, but for a bloke of 190cm his contested game is very weak.

Scott loves him though so he's going to remain in the starting 22 for as long as it takes. Like Will Langford at Hawthorn, started with a bang but soon got found out to be a one trick pony. Similar type to David Clark Jnr and Kane Tenace.

Strongly disagree that Henderson or Scott Selwood are B graders yet. They have to prove themselves. I'd have Guthrie in there as well.
I'm not even sure Hawkins is an A Grader. Stands with his arms in the air demanding the ball rather than demanding himself to get the ball. His back injury has prevented his movement enough to prevent his full potential being shown.

At this moment in time he certainly isn't consistently good enough to be deemed an A Grader, as good as he can and should be.

Scott loves him though so he's going to remain in the starting 22 for as long as it takes. Like Will Langford at Hawthorn, started with a bang but soon got found out to be a one trick pony. Similar type to David Clark Jnr and Kane Tenace.

I will wait until the season starts and see who is in the starting 22.
I cannot recall if it was last preseason or the previous one, but whatever the case Murdoch's preseason form a few years ago was excellent. And the starting 22 must be judged on preseason form.

Lose your form and you lose your place in the starting 22.

I'm not even sure Hawkins is an A Grader. Stands with his arms in the air demanding the ball rather than demanding himself to get the ball. His back injury has prevented his movement enough to prevent his full potential being shown.

I think that this is due more to laziness than any lingering back injury.
Hawkins has the habit of expecting the ball to be put on top of his head instead of leading for the ball. He looks a better player when he demands the ball by leading.

Some are a bit harsh on Murdoch. I thought he improved immensely learning a new role. His run out of defence was important at times. He certainly had his best year to date, and that 4 goal, 26 disposal earlier in the year proved he can play the game.

I think that this is due more to laziness than any lingering back injury.
Hawkins has the habit of expecting the ball to be put on top of his head instead of leading for the ball. He looks a better player when he demands the ball by leading.
I actually think you're right. He also tends to drop his bundle when the delivery from the midfield isn't the best. Whether its due to a lack of fitness or being lazy, I'll cut him some slack for now after the unfortunate events of last season.

He needs to put that past him now and live up to his potential. He isn't an A grader in my eyes until he finds that high level of consistency.

At this moment in time he certainly isn't consistently good enough to be deemed an A Grader, as good as he can and should be.

2½ goals per game, 3 contested marks (5 marks), 1 assist each game . . . how many other KPF's manage this? Perhaps a handful?
Hawkins of 2011 would be considered B grade but not Hawkins of today.

2½ goals per game, 3 contested marks (5 marks), 1 assist each game . . . how many other KPF's manage this? Perhaps a handful?
Hawkins of 2011 would be considered B grade but not Hawkins of today.
He's our key forward and has only managed to kick over 50 goals in 2 seasons... sorry, but that's called overrating your players to call him elite. Not to mention his 2012 and 2014 seasons were the ones that announced him as a prodigious talent. Let's hope he fulfils it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

against the worst side in the competition.
The following week v West Coast, he backed it up with a 10 disposal and one goal performance.
You're a hard man to please this last year or so. I think you've become that disenchanted with the club not continuing to win premierships every year, that you've resorted to spending your time on this forum miserable.

Some are a bit harsh on Murdoch. I thought he improved immensely learning a new role. His run out of defence was important at times. He certainly had his best year to date, and that 4 goal, 26 disposal earlier in the year proved he can play the game.

I don't think anyone doubts that he can play the game.
He just has far too many games where he has trouble finding the footy and cannot seem to impose himself on the game.
I also think that he does not use his running ability anywhere near often enough given his pace and his ability to run and carry. Nor do I think that his contested footy is very good for a young man who stands at 190cm.
We get glimpses of potential but it is about time that he started to deliver some consistency.

He's our key forward and has only managed to kick over 50 goals in 2 seasons... sorry, but that's called overrating your players to call him elite. Not to mention his 2012 and 2014 seasons were the ones that announced him as a prodigious talent. Let's hope he fulfils it.
I'm keen to see how he does in 2016. Part of the problem is his fault and part of it is not.

Firstly, with a better midfield than last season and actually having a ruckmen hopefully we can have a more dynamic and free flowing passage into the forward line. Were quite stagnant and slow at times in 2015. That's not his fault and at times I'm sure it is why he gets frustrated and flaps his arms about.

Secondly, on that, he doesn't lead enough at the football, too interested in wrestling which makes him and us predictable. No question our ball delivery probably contributes to why he doesn't seem bothered to lead as much as he could so keen to see if that midfield and ruck improvement changes how we play and how Tom plays for the better.

I don't think anyone doubts that he can play the game.
He just has far too many games where he has trouble finding the footy and cannot seem to impose himself on the game.
I also think that he does not use his running ability anywhere near often enough given his pace and his ability to run and carry. Nor do I think that his contested footy is very good for a young man who stands at 190cm.
We get glimpses of potential but it is about time that he started to deliver some consistency.
Interesting viewpoint, and a good one. I'm of a differing opinion. I actually thought he started to find that consistency and used his run and carry more proficiently. He was a barometer at times, contrary to popular belief. For a team who prides itself on handballing at almost every opportunity, Murdoch was the one who straightened us up.

This is the one thing I dislike about dreamteam and supercoach... we've become to stat dependent in the rating of players.

I actually watched him closely last year and he was given a specific role. Yes, he's not a star, nor is he ever likely to become one, but nor was Wojcinski and other role players during our premiership years.

As long as he keeps improving he'll remain an important player to our structure and the frustration of many a supporter.

This is the one thing I dislike about dreamteam and supercoach... we've become to stat dependent in the rating of players.
Surely you have been on this forum long enough to know my opinion on stats.

Surely you have been on this forum long enough to know my opinion on stats.
Sure do, I merely misinterpreted your part about Murdoch not finding the footy.
I thought his 2014 was better.
That depends on what you deem as important. He played forward in 2014 and kicked some goals, and last year he gave us much needed run from defence, in a side bereft of leg speed in this area.

I consider him more important running out of defence and thought he wasn't as complacent this year.

That depends on what you deem as important. He played forward in 2014 and kicked some goals, and last year he gave us much needed run from defence, in a side bereft of leg speed in this area.

I consider him more important running out of defence and thought he wasn't as complacent this year.

I would like to see him do it more often. Like Wojcinski he has the wheels.

Some where before Xmass I named him on the hbf in my side for next year simply for some run,but I still liked his 2014 he add some forward pressure as well as being dangerous around goal, but with Menzel now available and the need to rest mids forward in 2016 with the demise of the sub rule his days as a forward are probably over.

Some where before Xmass I named him on the hbf in my side for next year simply for some run,but I still liked his 2014 he add some forward pressure as well as being dangerous around goal, but with Menzel now available and the need to rest mids forward in 2016 with the demise of the sub rule his days as a forward are probably over.
Even during 2014 I thought he was best suited to running straight at the ball... struggled at times when he needed to turn in an arc. It's why he wasn't as effective in my opinion.

As an aside, I am bemused at how Hawthorn supporters still keep an eagle eye on this board and fly in like vultures whenever their status as a side is questioned. Insecure lot for a team coming off 3 successive flags.

Even during 2014 I thought he was best suited to running straight at the ball... struggled at times when he needed to turn in an arc. It's why he wasn't as effective in my opinion.

As an aside, I am bemused at how Hawthorn supporters still keep an eagle eye on this board and fly in like vultures whenever their status as a side is questioned. Insecure lot for a team coming off 3 successive flags.
Who can blame them,they have lived like Gypsies since they left the big upload_2015-12-28_13-24-5.jpeg urinal and now look more like the foreign legion than the Hawthorn football club.Still they never did recognise their history pre 1970.

You're a hard man to please this last year or so. I think you've become that disenchanted with the club not continuing to win premierships every year, that you've resorted to spending your time on this forum miserable.

it's not about that. We are talking about the player Jordan Murdoch. He's everything that is wrong with Geelong today. A soft uncontested sea gull and it is because of players like this that other teams now match us in many areas during a game.
Until Murdoch changes his ways and can use that explosive speed of his to hit in hard and win the footy, we have much better options available. At least gift games to a young bloke who enjoys winning contested footy for starters. Look at Gregson, 3ft'2 and took on Aaron Sandilands without thinking twice! This is the type of footballer that will take Geelong places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back