Why is Bob Murphy so loved and respected by all?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand why some supporters don't like him. Sometimes there are people you just don't like because of preconceived bias, because they've played well or done something dirty against your team, and perhaps more pertinently that the media are lauding and you're just sick of it. That's fine, I'm not a big Nick Riewoldt fan in general because of that, but when I hear him speak - and particularly after his sister's death - I had a massive amount of respect for him. I can also respect the way he plays football and is a genuine champion of the game.

Now Bob hasn't gone through that type of family tragedy (that I know of), and probably isn't as good a player, but I find it strange when people can't recognize that he's a relatively good speaker/writer on footy and obviously bleeds for his club. If you still hate the guy after that then fair enough.

Also, if you think he's a mediocre player then maybe watch the third quarter of last Friday's game against the pies. If you still think he's below average as an AFL player, performing like that after being out for a year with a knee, then that's surprising. But each to their own.

Its the whole Star Wars thing on AFL360 that gets me.
Gerard Whateley = Luke Skywalker
Bob Murphy = Yoda
Slobbo = Jabba the Hutt

Luke listens to every word of Yoda as if its the greatest piece of wisdom ever stated, while Chewie just blathers on incoherently.

Other than that, I like Bob.

EFA

Because he gets us (supporters of footy) better than any player that I can come up with off the top of my head and he's articulate enough to express himself well on television and in print. He's like our man on the inner sanctum. It probably doesn't hurt that he's a very good player, but not the type to rip your team apart and beat you off his own boot.

I just worry about the players in the twilight of their career (or who have just finished) who will obviously be solid media performers, like Pavlich and Murphy getting over exposed, simply due to so many being employed in the media for no reason, other than they were great players. Say Fox Footy signs Murphy for next year. Would you rather listen to Murphy, or Brian Lake? Murphy or Brad Johnson? Murphy or Cam Mooney? Murphy or Tony Shaw (does he still have a job there)? It's Murphy every time and that would leave him in serious danger of becoming overexposed very quickly.

Last edited:
296 games, 2 x AA, AFLPA captain of the year 2015, club captain of a premiership team, that is much much better than MEDIOCRE.

Surely the premier is allowed to celebrate any way it bloody wants? What's it to anybody else? Does a premier team need to consider everybody else's s feelings before it celebrates post siren? He was the CLUB CAPTAIN, of course he's entitled to be there and not one Bulldog fan would begrudge him that.

Zero flags.

I think it's because he's a type of person who is quite common in society, but rare in footy - he's a "thinker" rather than a "one of the boys" type.

Footy tends to favour those sorts of alpha-men, the Careys and Breretons, the types who usually get employed by Triple M post-career - so if you're not one of those types, there aren't many footballers you can identify with. Murphy is one, because he's well-spoken, he's thoughtful, and he looks like nobody's idea of a footballer. For those of us who don't aspire to be that Brian Taylor/Wayne Carey kind of guy, he's a breath of fresh air.

Thanks for the info guys - I watch a fair bit of footy but rarely a panel show, so I've never heard Murphy speak.
I'm keen to read his articles though, who does he write for? (I'm in WA so don't see east coast media)

Love these threads for the reason it resonates the perception of some that Bigfooty is the centre of the AFL universe.

Opposition supporters who love him, hate him or don't care either way is their prerogative. At the end of the day his influence on our club only matters to us Bulldog supporters.

Well didnt I just cop a spray or two.

This thread is about why people love Bob. That invariably brings up the topic why people dont love him. Its such a subjective topic that trying to argue personal opinion with football stats is moronic and less likely to make me see your point. Stop wasting your time by being so precious about one of your own. You dont need to feel so insecure about your club that you feel the need to convince others to like a player.

I referenced the fact that I didnt really like that Bob let himself become the centre of attention for a premiership side he didnt play in or coach. To my mind, it cheapens the whole thing and while he eventually stood back I think a better leader wouldnt have taken so long. Again, my personal opinion. In time I might change the view but not because some random roasts me on BF.

I dont think Bob Murphy would rate in the top 500 footballers the game has seen and as such I dont believe he deserves any acclaim above mediocre. Hard working club man, loyal and probably nice yes. BUT, to call him a great or else again cheapens the term. Dogs fans may consider him a club great, but I dont focus on other clubs lists of their own greats.

As someone has rightfully pointed out some of Bobs turn off is due to his overhype. Same reason why just about everyone wanted the Dogs to win at the time but within a day were over the circlejerk.

Oh and to the person who told me I would be known as a mediocre forum contributor or whatever, I COULD point out that I have a near 2:1 like to post ratio but I wouldnt try to convince you that I am worth a damn because using stats to influence personal opinion is dumb.

Also I do usually post shit. Thats just me. Im a shit bloke. Guess what? Some people wont think like you do.

Its a forum. The idea of a forum is different ideas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a selfish campaigner. Should've never grabbed the cup. He had his chances and blew it (twice). I doubt Dogs would've won last year if he played for them during finals

I enjoy how much the Dogs premiership upsets you. :)

Jeez there is some miserable sods out there, the guy is the heart and soul of a football club who stood up at one of their lowest ebbs, took over the captaincy and went on to be AA. Did his knee and when the club went on to win the flag was invited up by his coach to have a medal. One of the greatest moments in sport and all half of you sad people can do is decide it makes him a selfish prick. Go and take a good hard look at yourself.

For those of us who aren't constantly trying to drag others down, he is loved because he is not a buff, jock footballer. He is quirky, skinny, witty and above all his own person.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm still trying to get over a Bulldogs fan saying Bob "probably isn't as good a player" as Nick Riewoldt.

Now we have someone describing Bob being given his coach's medal as "one of the greatest moments in sport".

Wow.

The legend of Bob Murphy has certainly grown over the past 12 months.

I stand by it. The bloke is a gun, had been at the same club for years, gotten so close to the holy grail only to fall short. Stood up when needed the most and found his best form. Did his ACL and subsequently missed one of the greatest finals runs you will ever see. Is widely acknowledged as the heart and soul of the club and everyone who comes out of there has nothing but praise for him. The Dogs then win the flag for the first time in 62 years and he unfortunately misses out. His coach, knowing how much he has put in to the club calls him up on stage and gives him a medal. If that isn't one of the best moments in sport I don't know what is.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

As a dogs supporter I have found the mayo on the Murphy sandwich to be a little thick at times, however the Bob bashing in this thread is simply the quintessential Australian tall poppy syndrome. Every club has this type of player and when they are your Captain they are going to get more air time, and I can confidently say that Brendon Goddard was never going to encounter this issue last year however Lenny Hayes might of in 04.

As a dogs supporter I have found the mayo on the Murphy sandwich to be a little thick at times, however the Bob bashing in this thread is simply the quintessential Australian tall poppy syndrome. Every club has this type of player and when they are your Captain they are going to get more air time, and I can confidently say that Brendon Goddard was never going to encounter this issue last year however Lenny Hayes might of in 04.
He's not tall or a poppy.

FMD, he was holidaying OS for part of the season last year after doing his knee. I can understand the Bulldogs including him in the celebrations but he ultimately contributed zilch to them winning the flag (his absence may have helped). He was as significant as any fan.

Tall poppy? That's as ridiculous as the "one of the greatest moments in sport" comment.

He's not tall or a poppy.

FMD, he was holidaying OS for part of the season last year after doing his knee. I can understand the Bulldogs including him in the celebrations but he ultimately contributed zilch to them winning the flag (his absence may have helped). He was as significant as any fan.

Tall poppy? That's as ridiculous as the "one of the greatest moments in sport" comment.

Obviously you work at the Club, do tell???

As I've written here before, Murphy doing his knee was one of the best things for his footy career.

I dont think Bob Murphy would rate in the top 500 footballers the game has seen and as such I dont believe he deserves any acclaim above mediocre.

There must be thousands of footy players past & present who wished they were as mediocre as Bob Murphy.

Any player who plays 300 games isn't mediocre and unless the footy gods are utter utter campaigners he will do so this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back